Preview Lions vs Port, Round 6 Saturday April 29 4.35pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2015 against Carlton a bunch of supporters screamed at Jamison the entire game and it visibly disturbed him.

The Gabba needs to get brutal again.
I s**t you not years back at a port game me my brother and dad got into westhoffs head. Called his name continually. He got dropped the week after.

I'd actually argue the opposite. The lineups been fairly settled most weeks - this week we're bringing back 2 best 22 players who were only out due to injury, replacing two people who have played defence the past fortnight.

Close for Basti is a brave change, but good on Fagan for dropping him. Needs to deliver a lot better if he wants a spot in our team. Close coming in is a tactical move to stretch Ports defence. Will ensure Trengrove plays back which is smart.

Didn't think he'd drop Dawson, largely because of his horror 1st half and not wanting to 'penalise' him for that.
Also didn't think he'd drop Bastinac after 1 game.
Cox is rested.
Expect to see Walker play, in place of either Gardiner or Cutler.

"You don't have a clue Clurey! You wouldn't have a clue Clurey if you were the clueyest Clurey who ever clued. You're clueless Clurey!"

It's a work in progress.
We need someone to do a Heath Shaw and kick him while he's down. Still makes me laugh, Heath contributed absolutely nothing to Clurey meltdown, then went up and pumped his fist in the guy's face while he was on the ground, screamed in his face and gave him a bit more again later. Classic Heath Shaw, you can just see him slowly going back to his old ways as GWS lean on him less. Scandal imminent.

Didn't think he'd drop Dawson, largely because of his horror 1st half and not wanting to 'penalise' him for that.
Cox is rested.
Why the current interest in Walker? Has he done anything to warrant it? Being serviceable as a KPD in the NEAFL doesn't count, see: most talls we've delisted recently.

I like what Fagan and the coaching staff have done here. They would be aware that Port want to play Trengove forward with Dixon and Westhoff. So bringing Close in means Port now have to look at having enough tall defenders to match up on Hippy - Shak and Close. This could force them to throw Trengove back.

I can understand Cox being out. He looked lost at times last week. But we all know he has plenty of time to show his class in the years to come. Gardiner needs to take Wingard. Hoping a fit and firing Tom Cutler can add some run from half back.

I think we have a chance here but we will need to play for more than a half or 3 qtrs and we will need Port to have an off night. Worth nothing Port has had 3 wins but they were against the winless Swans - Freo in R2 and last week against Carltons under 19 side.

Cox is rested.

Dawson was in for Cutler. Cutler is back in so logically Dawson goes out. It's not like he set the world on fire. It's hardly a matter of penalizing him.

Cox needed a rest and Dizzy was back so it was an obvious out.

Basti was sprayed to the heavens by Fagan at qtr time and didn't respond. No way he was keeping his spot.

Dawson was in for Cutler. Cutler is back in so logically Dawson goes out. It's not like he set the world on fire. It's hardly a matter of penalizing him.

Basti was sprayed to the heavens by Fagan at qtr time and didn't respond. No way he was keeping his spot.
Didnt see the spray, but if thats the case, he needed it.
Many thought he under performed last year. But he has gone to another level.

I missed the spray and heard it was a ripper, and Fagan doesn't seem like the type of coach who gives sprays either. Does anyone have any footage? I love a good spray

I think walker is actually on a devalopment program as a defender. I would imagine the coaching staff have a set plan for him, learning a new craft down back that might mean a longer mandatory stint in the NEAFL.

He is a great guy and a popular team mate, he showed a couple of times last year what he can do around the ground - I hope he makes it as a 3rd or 4th defender for us.

Dont let the bald patch deceive you, he is still young.

Look at how Hipwood kicked his goals last week. 13cm wouldn't have made much difference. Trengove would probably be too slow.
That mark he took against two opponents was simply due to his height advantage and his great leap(And a nice kick inside 50 from Schache). 13cm will make a big difference if he is up and about, making some good leads and leaping at the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need someone to do a Heath Shaw and kick him while he's down. Still makes me laugh, Heath contributed absolutely nothing to Clurey meltdown, then went up and pumped his fist in the guy's face while he was on the ground, screamed in his face and gave him a bit more again later. Classic Heath Shaw, you can just see him slowly going back to his old ways as GWS lean on him less. Scandal imminent.
Yeah must have been a proud moment for shaw. So inspiring to kick a young player down (twice) given the kid is not an antagonist at all. I think he hallucinated and thought it was Angus Monfries

After wading through dozens upon dozens of Bob Murphy photos in the lions vs bulldogs game gallery, I found a couple where Fagan is just going off. Here is one of them.
View attachment 363487
And here is the link http://www.afl.com.au/gallery/2017-...bane#9f4aa1e93e39b510VgnVCM100000ac05030aRCRD
Fagan sort of apologised on AFL tonight, he didn't shy away from the message he delivered, but said it wasn't his style to get so emotional. If he had his time again, he said he would deliver the same message in a calmer fashion.

Fagan sort of apologised on AFL tonight, he didn't shy away from the message he delivered, but said it wasn't his style to get so emotional. If he had his time again, he said he would deliver the same message in a calmer fashion.
That's really interesting. As a supporter, I loved it because Bastinac needs to improve but maybe it doesn't fit as well with the culture Fagan is trying to build.

I think it's also an insight into the frustration Fagan is experiencing with Bastinac. We're putting too heavy a load on Beams, Zorko and Rockliff and Bastinac should be on the next line of guys ready to step up. The fact that's he's not must be really pissing Fagan off.

The most frustrating guys in footy are the ones who have shown they can play at a level but don't most weeks. I can live with a Ryan Lester type who is only ever going to be what he is. If and when we become a good side, Lester will either have a niche role in the team or he will be overtaken by more talented and better performed players. But a guy who has shown he can get 20 plus touches, can contribute on the inside and has the engine to run all day should be expected to achieve that level most weeks. Bastinac's best footy is good enough but we don't see it very often.

After wading through dozens upon dozens of Bob Murphy photos in the lions vs bulldogs game gallery, I found a couple where Fagan is just going off. Here is one of them.
View attachment 363487
And here is the link http://www.afl.com.au/gallery/2017-...bane#9f4aa1e93e39b510VgnVCM100000ac05030aRCRD
That is a brilliant photo. It shows the passion of Fagan and how intent he is on getting the message across. The player doesnt look intimidated, he is looking straight at Fagan and wants to learn from his coach, he totally respects what he is listening to. Was at the game last week and it is obvious the Lions boys are playing for their coach and club. Early days yet for Fagan, but he appears the ideal leader for young men.

That's really interesting. As a supporter, I loved it because Bastinac needs to improve but maybe it doesn't fit as well with the culture Fagan is trying to build.

I think it's also an insight into the frustration Fagan is experiencing with Bastinac. We're putting too heavy a load on Beams, Zorko and Rockliff and Bastinac should be on the next line of guys ready to step up. The fact that's he's not must be really pissing Fagan off.

The most frustrating guys in footy are the ones who have shown they can play at a level but don't most weeks. I can live with a Ryan Lester type who is only ever going to be what he is. If and when we become a good side, Lester will either have a niche role in the team or he will be overtaken by more talented and better performed players. But a guy who has shown he can get 20 plus touches, can contribute on the inside and has the engine to run all day should be expected to achieve that level most weeks. Bastinac's best footy is good enough but we don't see it very often.
No point pussyfooting around with him either.He's locked in on substantial dollars for another 3 years.Have to push him to the limit to get what we can.

I'm impressed by this.

I didn't have a problem with the spray--if anyone has earned it Bastinac has--but I like that Fagan has a clear idea of how he wants to communicate and is well in control of his ego.

I'm impressed by this.

I didn't have a problem with the spray--if anyone has earned it Bastinac has--but I like that Fagan has a clear idea of how he wants to communicate and is well in control of his ego.
Fagan says he maybe shoudn't have reacted that way but at the same time showing everyone what he is capable of.Good result.

I haven't seen footage but the radio reports I heard had Bastinac right in the firing line and the other players studiously ignoring what was happening. Perhaps Fagan is less worried about Bastinac and more worried about the impact on the other 21 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back