Cancelled
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Well how about that?

I blinked… and it was round 21.

Seven wins in a row, and the high-flying Lions have well and truly roared into “Anything is Possible” territory. We are back at the Gabba on Saturday afternoon for our second of three straight home games. We take on a wilted Gold Coast Suns outfit in the latest installment of the greatest rivalry of all time:

The Q Clash

Zorko* Vs Miller.

It has been a sad state of affairs in recent times at Carrara - a state of affairs rubbed in by (state of) affairs legend Garry Lyon this week when he suggested as many as eight veterans of the league should consider making themselves available to help the struggling club build culcha. At the same time, I was watching the real Garry Lyon spin our men to a memorable victory at Edgbaston.
The situation down the road is one we are familiar with, and with the culcha curse and Victorian pillaging seemingly broken for the time being in Brisbane, my empathy is real. I hope the boys in red, gold and blue find a couple more wins for the long-suffering Gold Coast supporters this season, starting in round 22 against the Hawks.

It’s doomy and it’s gloomy at the moment down the highway, but the Suns youngsters have shown some optimistic signs at times. They’ve scrapped hard when they’ve turned up to play and taken each of their 3 wins this year by under a goal. They’ve also stretched 4 games to within 10 points. When they’re on they have a good solid crack. Most notably, a close loss to the Bombers two weeks ago lacked the finishing polish required to put down a side rampaging towards September.

For us, we’ve seen the goal posts shift many times in 2019 - they even seem to dance around when Dan McStay lines up from 25. But our horizons have opened so much this season that there is a case for each of our seven post-bye matches to have been the most important for the year at the time it was played. Round 21 is a rarity. It’s not the most important game for the season - given there will remain an opportunity to take two contending scalps with us into September regardless of this result. But a good win makes a lot of scenarios easier to achieve. To do the unlikely and steal a top 2 spot we probably need to win all three of our remaining matches. But 2 wins will secure a double chance, and a win on Saturday gives us two cracks at that cherry.

Our best efforts this week will deliver an important percentage boost and place destiny fairly and squarely into our own hands with the challenge of successive bouts against Geelong and Richmond looming. But if we rest on our laurels and give a young and inexperienced team a chance to belt out the song, we open ourselves up to undoing one hell of a lot of hard work. The Lions of old would lose this game. But I am highly confident we are no longer that ramshackle.

Lions to win big – 70 points.

Suns to do the Hawks next week.

*pending test

Great preview kenberger :thumbsu:

Hopefully we get the Suns team that performed as they did against the Pies and not the tough unit that almost rolled Essendon. Suns always lift against us so getting a win should be the sole focus and not too concerned about building our percentage.

Every week is the same, we can’t rest on our laurels and need to take every team seriously. The Suns at their best are not as bad as most think, but even their best will not be a match for ours, if we bring that then we should win this convincingly.
I’m tipping they attempt a fight early but fold in the third and we go on to smash them by 60 points

Focus on the process and both the win and the percentage (and the ladder) will take care of themselves ... Focus on percentage and you can lose the process and even the game.

Not worried though (not on that sense anyway) as we watched our reserves team sticking to their process even when well up.

If we were 100 points up I would rather see clinical professional dismantling rather than party tricks.

Focus on the process and both the win and the percentage (and the ladder) will take care of themselves ... Focus on percentage and you can lose the process and even the game.

Not worried though (not on that sense anyway) as we watched our reserves team sticking to their process even when well up.

If we were 100 points up I would rather see clinical professional dismantling rather than party tricks.
Could we at least have a couple of party tricks?? I would enjoy a little humiliation of a guy like Touk Miller so maybe Linc or Charlie taking a massive speccy on his shoulders.

Could we at least have a couple of party tricks?? I would enjoy a little humiliation of a guy like Touk Miller so maybe Linc or Charlie taking a massive speccy on his shoulders.
I think an overall dismantling of Gold Coast will be humiliation enough for Touk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the guru Fagan says - stick to the process, take each game as it comes, win that one then focus on the next. I can see it going like the NEAFL team last week against Southport, a couple of goals difference at half time then we run away with it when our process becomes too much to withstand. We could play a more open forward line and simply run them off their feet chasing our small forwards. The Suns always life in the local derby and they are not as bad as some results our challenge will be to not let them drag our skill level down to a slog fest. Stay on top of the ground using our speed we can get 60 points up at the end.

Lions to win and win big we will then have 2nd spot from West Coast.
Just with Geelong's form and recently kangas form that will be interesting to see what happens could get top spot. Kangaroos are a bogey side for Geelong if you look at their history.

expect it to be a tight first half, then.. Lions comfortably, don't see any other result here. They do tend to hang around for the first half. Obviously there have been a few beltings, but they have good intent and go ok most of the time given the state of their injury list and where they are in their development, I respect what Dew has done given what he has to work with. Will be a sobering feeling for Hanley, left because of his 'losers fatigue'... ouch.

I agree danger game.. The whole season has been teams beating teams that they should not of.
Rather not be the ones beaten.

On talkback radio this week keep hearing demons not happy pies think they just a percentage boost.
You think Suns players not like being thought of the same this week. They won 3 been close in a few.

Just take it one week and one win at a time.
Love to win the last three and then the next three :)

As always, heads down, bums up, work our tails off and the rewards will follow. If the margin is less than 40 points in our favour at the end of the game I'd almost be tempted to count it as a loss, especially with how close the top 4 is at the moment.

Can you imagine the melts on our Game Day thread if half way through the 3rd quarter this game is close, I'm glad I'll be at the game and have no access to Big Footy.

Can you imagine the melts on our Game Day thread if half way through the 3rd quarter this game is close, I'm glad I'll be at the game and have no access to Big Footy.

If we lost, I think I'd avoid the Lions board for a good week.

I hope this group doesn't become complacent and limp to a win and be happy. I want a big win. No disrespect to the Suns but we need this percentage boost. Robbo broke team media protocol and said that the players are obviously keeping an eye on the ladder so hopefully that spurs them on to go for top spot.

Old mate in front of me at the Gabba has given me the tip to avoid heart failure in the last quarter of a tight game. Just need to log on to Foxtel Now on the phone,bring up the game on Fox Footy and bingo countdown clock available.
Have been doing that since the AFL website app live streamed games years ago.

Nothing new there.

Old mate in front of me at the Gabba has given me the tip to avoid heart failure in the last quarter of a tight game. Just need to log on to Foxtel Now on the phone,bring up the game on Fox Footy and bingo countdown clock available.

It's a good thing to do to keep your nerves steady - just don't be the lady behind me who did it on the weekend and started singing loudly about the win with 3 minutes to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back