Preview Lions vs West Coast Eagles, Round 3, Sat Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played our big boys much higher up the ground last year to draw McGovern out with them and left Charlie one out in their D50. It worked last year after quarter time.
With Gov not there this year, it will be interesting to see what forward tactics are used, or if it is just bomb it long and wide without Gov there to take mark after mark.
Hopefully I will get to find out live at the game.

we need to get some venim into the forward line ( not counting charlie ) if we are to push the eagles we need our key forwards to score more than a goal a game , maybe its time for young skinner ?
How about its time we looked before we just bomb the ball in? Our forward entry numbers are good but one of the reasons they are higher than average is because our care factor is almost zero with regards to how it gets in there. Mitch Robbo being the main culprit. At the moment the key forwards task is to bring the ball to ground and let the Charlie & Co do the damage. If you look at it that way, they are doing what's expected of them and there is no reason to look for replacements. If Charlie has an off day, our game plan would need to change quickly which is a challenge to do mid game.Not saying it cant be done, just saying we should have more bullets in the gun to have versatility to win.

Have a look at the Eagles tall forwards listed heights. None are over 195cm.

The thing with Allen, though young, he’s such a smart footballer. Always leading in to space at the right moment. Plays up and down the wing. Strong mark.

I wish McStay or Hipwood had his footy smarts, leading patterns and hands.
Maybe they are following team strategies rather than missing out on footy smarts as you say above? Easy to critisise when you arent aware of what their game day role is.

we need to get some venim into the forward line ( not counting charlie ) if we are to push the eagles we need our key forwards to score more than a goal a game , maybe its time for young skinner ?

I wouldnt mind seeing Christensen get another go, maybe ahead of McCarthy or move McCarthy further up the field. Charie and Christensen would cause a lot of headaches. Hipwood and McStay are not always kicking bags but they are getting ground balls pretty consistently which almost always ends up to our advantage, so I think they have a pass for synergy so far. Although a big part of me really wants to see Skinner get a proper crack.

I would like to see charlie Cameron's role change slightly under certain circumstances.
Charlie is the most damaging small forward in the competition.
But his goal scoring comes in bursts.
Then he goes a bit quiet although he still applies great pressure in the forward 50 during these periods
Also opposition coaches move someone different onto him to quell further damage.
Sometimes opposition coaches get the match up right from the get go. Richmond and Grimes comes to mind

Charlie has had some outstanding games on the wing for Adelaide
This is where he should be moved for periods especially when he has a 3 goal quarter which he regularly does.
This will give opposition coaches more to thing about. Then move him back forward later.

I wouldnt mind seeing Christensen get another go, maybe ahead of McCarthy or move McCarthy further up the field. Charie and Christensen would cause a lot of headaches. Hipwood and McStay are not always kicking bags but they are getting ground balls pretty consistently which almost always ends up to our advantage, so I think they have a pass for synergy so far. Although a big part of me really wants to see Skinner get a proper crack.

If you want to see Christensen in fine form rewatch the tassie Hawks game. Should be playing this year - Fwd 50 defensive pressure +++

If you want to see Christensen in fine form rewatch the tassie Hawks game. Should be playing this year - Fwd 50 defensive pressure +++

Yeah, been spending the raining day watching all our highlights from last year and when hes on form hes easily our second best small forward. Still has a few years in him to!

West Coast have a pretty slow back line.
Think our forward set up with Day and King who are quite kick for big fellas and then small brigade in Ainsworth, Lemmens, Sexton caused them headaches with pace.

Hurn and MCgovern where almost entirely ineffective.
Think you need to try and exploit this as well.

Looking forward to seeing Tom Berry play again - seems raw but had a pretty encouraging start.

I agree, Christensen has way more impact than McCarthy does, who really, just drifts in and out of games, with the 'in' being sparodic at best, albeit flashy and noticeable.

I agree, Christensen has way more impact than McCarthy does, who really, just drifts in and out of games, with the 'in' being sparodic at best, albeit flashy and noticeable.

If we rest Zorko this weekend with his Achilles then Christensen should be the logical replacement and let McCarthy have another week, but if he doesnt impact the scoreboard we really should give someone like Wooller a chance at the seniors. Hes in his third year I think? Got to see what his futures going to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck all in the running, and if you do get to attend, stay safe and cheer wildly! :)

Really nervous about the match, as long as we don't start slow or have a low shot % I think we will win (tbh it could be a thrashing or eked out at the last minute.. could go either way). Happy Gov won't be playing at least, McStay or Hippy now 100% have to take control and make that a suspension they extremely regret.
Doubt it imo. Logue for Freo was their only main KPD and even then he went to Charlie after the half and they couldn't capitalise.

Would have rather seen Ballenden or Skinner come in if the coaching staff want 2 rucks as they can offer more up forward then Archie can. I think we would have been even better off going with the solo ruck in O-Mac and bringing in another small for Stef though. With the 16 minute quarters you need as much run as possible I think. I do understand the coaching staff may have deemed it essential to have 2 genuine rucks to combat NicNat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back