List as many outside midfielders as you can

Remove this Banner Ad

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Outside mids are very underated and are probably the most important factor in a team. People call outside mids soft and useless. Richmond won the premiership from outside mids (Prestia, Rioli, Grigg, Ellis, Houli, etc.). What are your thoughts? List some players that you believe are truly outside midfielders.

I don't think it's that well defined. A lot of the really good mids set up in different positions at times at the clearances.
For us Scully and Whitfield "pure" outside mids, and I dont think they're at all soft. Shiel and Kelly can play either. Taranto seems to be playing primarily outside but I expect that to change as he gets more experience.
Devon Smith played as an outside mid a lot, but he migrated forward over time. I think it's his best role, but team needs come first.

Outside mids are very underated and are probably the most important factor in a team. People call outside mids soft and useless. Richmond won the premiership from outside mids (Prestia, Rioli, Grigg, Ellis, Houli, etc.). What are your thoughts? List some players that you believe are truly outside midfielders.

How is Prestia outside? 41% of his possesions were contested this year.

Zach Merrett is a fantastic outside mid.

For me "Inside mid" means someone who plays in tightly and more heavily contested positions, they can win the football in heavily contested situations and get the ball to other midfielders ("IN" the pack). "Outside mid" means the blokes who are acclaimed for their disposal and positions themselves in midfield they get the ball away from these heavily contested situations and usually have a lot more space than their inside counterparts.

It's simple, some blokes are more adept at diving on a ball under 3 blokes and scooping a half-handball out and other blokes are better at picking a target and hitting a bloke on the chest with a well placed kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Prestia, Rioli, Grigg, Ellis, Houli ... are all inside out midfielders. They can go both ways.

Prestia especially, and Grigg has developed his inside game. Ellis was outside and has gone to a back flank, and Houli and Rioli have never really played midfield. If we have a pure outside mid ATM it's Menadue.

Prestia especially, and Grigg has developed his inside game. Ellis was outside and has gone to a back flank, and Houli and Rioli have never really played midfield. If we have a pure outside mid ATM it's Menadue.
And a jet to go with it. You saw the sprint. Play the fat side and then go sharp inboard to Menadue doing the 100m at 10.5 secs. Beautiful. Just another string to the bow.

From what I've observed 'pure' outside mids are usually useless in finals, where the game is more contested and they can't get in there. Guys like Lewis Jetta, Brad Hill, Billy Hartung, David Mackay, Rory Atkins, Danyle Pearce and Andrew Gaff

More susceptible to a tag/'run with' role, e.g. Brendan Bower had a fraction of Peter Matera's ability but enjoyed several good games when they were opposed in the 90's.

The short list of nominations suggests coaches and recruiters are insisting that players have inside/outside capability. One persistent suggestion to bust congestion has been to adopt the old VFA rules and eliminate the wingers... It would be ironic if this was implemented and created the space for the old-style winger to operate in.

More susceptible to a tag/'run with' role, e.g. Brendan Bower had a fraction of Peter Matera's ability but enjoyed several good games when they were opposed in the 90's.

The short list of nominations suggests coaches and recruiters are insisting that players have inside/outside capability. One persistent suggestion to bust congestion has been to adopt the old VFA rules and eliminate the wingers... It would be ironic if this was implemented and created the space for the old-style winger to operate in.
Every player should be inside out in the sense that you have to win the ball when it's your turn. You can never stand back when it's your turn to go. Go in and if your team win it, run out and spread and if your team lose it go in again. That's what Premiership teams do. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back