Opinion List Breakdown

Remove this Banner Ad

I somewhat disagree that the squad lacks outside mids . There is 9 small forwards from that list who with the exception of King and A.Edwards are extremely outside dominate. Small forwards who can't play inside are all but an extinct species .
Dustin's best work is one on one , or bursting from a pack , not in tight situations where quick decision making , quick disposal and nibble feet are needed , ala Conca and Ellis ( who has potential ) .
IMO the real issue is genuine inside mids , there is 3 upon the list , Tuck , Cotchin and Foley , one goes down and the " IN THE s**t " alarm screams loud and clear .
The percentage of clearances and contested possessions around stoppages these 3 get is alarming .
No more Aaron Fiora , JON's , Bling's we need more Foley , Cotchin's .
Finals and grand finals are won by contested footy !
Agree, really hope Conca gets in the guts, he was racking up some handy clearance stats in the back end of the season. Class clearance players make the difference.

great summary and breakdown mate...

couple of minor disagreements/queries -

are the "core players" simply based on performances for the Tigz to date? if not, then I would have Chaplin as a core player even if he hasn't hit the paddock for us yet. His ability to stand up for us is going to have a huge impact on the team and our progress as he'll allow others to play their more natural positions.

i'd also update grigg to a core player as far as an outside mid - improved his disposal and showed how important his run and spread was last season. with some of the additions we've made we have an abundance of inside mids (hoping conca and vlastuin can add to that mix) which makes our outside run even more important.

depth is definitely on the improve (especially considering the amount of players turned over under Hardwick) but couldn't agree more regarding the ruck stocks. praying nothing happens to big Ann Ivan-ivic.... Mc Bean looks a great long term prospect and O might help as far as a chop out but really need TV's shoulders to hold up.

With that in mind would love to see one of Griffiths, Astbury or Elton come on in leaps and bounds in 2013.

really good summary though mate..

I can't say too much at the moment, because it's still in early stages.

Please don't ask any more questions, but there is a gun outside midfielder who is from a non-Victorian club who we will be targeting in the off-season. This player will force us to use our 1st round pick minimum.

Would it least be fair to say it's a doozy?

I was waiting for someone to pick that up. I was quite surprised how long it took. Yes, Tyson is an inside midfielder.

I implied that we'd be trading our 1st round pick, so we wouldn't have a crack at the quality described in the post that I quoted. All clubs must take a minimum of three picks in the ND, so we have to take players anyway.
Nick Haynes from GWS? Same draft as Tyson, pick 6 I think. Seems he is mates with Piva Wright as I noticed him in a few of his twitter pics. Might not be so keen now that we delisted the big Piv.

Agree, really hope Conca gets in the guts, he was racking up some handy clearance stats in the back end of the season. Class clearance players make the difference.

I'd say Martin is more than capable of being a genuine 'inside' mid when needed. He basically carried our midfield in his debut year. Since then we seem to have played him a lot more outside. A bit of a robbing Peter etc...

Think it's a little unfair to label Deledio as an outside midfielder. He's pretty strong inside and gets stronger every year. He is peaking now and over the next 2 to 3 seasons.
Agree, his inside work is definitely worthy of the classification also not taking nothing away from the OP, awsome work!

M_R, fantastic evaluation.

I can see others have touched on it but for mine, after reading the OP, the statement about pace I don't think is quite spot on.

Look at Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney of the past few years- the most successful teams.

RE Geelong, the only genuinely quick player that comes to mind is Wojinski (spelling?)
RE Sydney, the only genuinely quick player that comes to mind is Jetta.
RE Collingwood, I can't think of any real quick players in their team.

What it shows is that SPEED OF MIND AND EXECUTION is far more vital than the speed in ones legs.

Please don't ask any more questions, but there is a gun outside midfielder who is from a non-Victorian club who we will be targeting in the off-season. This player will force us to use our 1st round pick minimum.
Was it Shuey, because he just re-signed.

I can see others have touched on it but for mine, after reading the OP, the statement about pace I don't think is quite spot on.

Look at Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney of the past few years- the most successful teams.

RE Geelong, the only genuinely quick player that comes to mind is Wojinski (spelling?)

What it shows is that SPEED OF MIND AND EXECUTION is far more vital than the speed in ones legs.

and jetta i somewhat an anomoly when comparing to virtually all other players in the afl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I somewhat disagree that the squad lacks outside mids . There is 9 small forwards from that list who with the exception of King and A.Edwards are extremely outside dominate. Small forwards who can't play inside are all but an extinct species .
Dustin's best work is one on one , or bursting from a pack , not in tight situations where quick decision making , quick disposal and nibble feet are needed , ala Conca and Ellis ( who has potential ) .
IMO the real issue is genuine inside mids , there is 3 upon the list , Tuck , Cotchin and Foley , one goes down and the " IN THE s**t " alarm screams loud and clear .
The percentage of clearances and contested possessions around stoppages these 3 get is alarming .
No more Aaron Fiora , JON's , Bling's we need more Foley , Cotchin's .
Finals and grand finals are won by contested footy !

And funnily enough, of the 3 inside mids that are critical, they are nothing alike. So if you target a replacement, you have to go with the well-rounded gun (the cotch type), rather than specific abilities (the Tuck and Foley type)

Exhibit A: Matty White. Wouldn't be surprised if he has faster straight line speed than Jetta. Jetta has the ability to have very good lateral movement at speed.

I'd say Martin is more than capable of being a genuine 'inside' mid when needed. He basically carried our midfield in his debut year. Since then we seem to have played him a lot more outside. A bit of a robbing Peter etc...
Completely agree Rustof, can't wait to watch Dusty consistently line up at the bounce. I was just angling that Conca would be a pretty handy addition if he's ready.

FFS MR, it was bad enough going through this crap during trade period this year. As much as we all appreciate your informative and knowledgeable posts regarding RFC trading and list management, surely you could have held off this statement until at least mid way through next year. 10 months of this conjecture will absolutely kill me:(

ball movement speed is also critical.

Leg speed is ultra critical. It is the reason Sydney won the grand final. The Richmond assistant coaches sat down and watched the game from a behind the goal view and said that they think the swans leg speed in the second quarter ran the hawks off their feet and was the reason they ran the game out better.

i reckon with this legspeed argument, it is important but i think we are under rating how quick blokes like delideo, cotch and martin are over 20-30m, they may not b able to run the whole ground with someone on their tails but they are quick enough to get themselves out of trouble and be first to the ball on most occasions. You can probably add ellis and maybe even houli to this list aswell

Leg speed is ultra critical. It is the reason Sydney won the grand final. The Richmond assistant coaches sat down and watched the game from a behind the goal view and said that they think the swans leg speed in the second quarter ran the hawks off their feet and was the reason they ran the game out better.

they both go hand in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back