Opinion List Breakdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Good work MR, but I think your ratings are too generous, here are mine

Consistent match Changers 3. Cotchin Deledio Jack
Match Changers but Inconsistent at that level 2. Martin Rance
Would get a game in a top 8 side 13. Newman Grimes Grigg S. Edwards Chaplin Tuck Foley Houli Foley King Morris Vickery Maric Griffiths

Players that are AFL standard that play at 9. Helbig Ellis Dea A. Edwards Batchelor Vlastuin Conca Nahas Knights
an acceptable level

Only break glass in emergency senior bodies 7 White Mcguane Jackson Lonergan Pettard Stephenson Derricx

Only Break glass in emergancy young bodies 9 Astbury Elton OHanlon Mcintosh Mcbean Arnott Gideon Mcdonough Verrier Darou

So, by my reckoning we only really want to play 27 players, that is there are 27 players that have shown enough, at this stage, not to let us down on the big stage.Then we have another 7senior bodied reserves, that are not up to the standard required, but at least have some experience and a big senior afl body, and then another 9 kids after that, that could reach the standard required, but havent done so yet.

And thats actually being generous, because if Foley and Grimes dont ever get back to their best ( likely we really only have 25 players that are good enough ( 24 if Knights doesnt get back to his best )

Sad but true IMHO

Another player that is now totally useless and not needed at all and was a total mistake in keeping on the list is
Luke McGuane.

It has been tried and proven time & time again that he is totally incompetant in the backline,He only got his chance late last year and performed reasonably but nothing special ONLY against bad teams and was no good against better teams - It was probably decided to play him to gain some trade value but after our injuries was decided to leave on the list for another year.

With the trade/recruiting of Knights,Pettard,Edwards,Lonergan as well as another year into O'hanlon,Griffiths,Vickery and Astbury - that is 8 players who play the same position to Luke McGuane, I cant see what reason he would still be left on the list ??

This is an interesting one. You get the feeling that if Hardwick was gauranteed a few months ago that he could get Edwards and Petterd that he would have delisted Mc Guane.

Key Backs:
Alex Rance (Can play small)
Dylan Grimes (Can play small)
Troy Chaplin
Jake Batchelor (Can play small) not a key back but a back IMO
Ben Griffiths
David Astbury
Luke McGuane not really a key back
Ben Darrou (R)

Backs:
Chris Newman (Potential move to midfield) don't agree, his instincts are as a back for mine
Steven Morris morris could go up the field in time
Bachar Houli Bachar potential to go inside mid but getting a little late now.More of a role player in the backline for mine
Kamdyn McIntosh (Potential move to midfield) maybe-I see him as a real weapon in the backline
Matt Dea
Steven Verrier (R)

Inside Midfielders:
Trent Cotchin (Outside capabilities) super star and has to be the general, lost his rights to freedom
Reece Conca (Defender) Conca is not a back and never will be I don't think, if anything forward or outside mid capable
Dustin Martin (Outside capabilities) forward/key forward
Nathan Foley
Shane Tuck
Nick Vlastuin (Defender)
Brad Helbig (Defender)
Matt Arnot
Cadeyn Williams (Outside capabilities) (R)
Sam Lonergan (R)

Outside Midfielders:
Brett Deledio (Inside capabilities) yeah only pinch hit still must be outside for impact though/also forward
Shaun Grigg Inside capable IMO
Brandon Ellis (Defender) Ellis is inside capable IMO
Matt White (Forward) White is not a forward for mine

Forwards:
Shane Edwards outside/running mid
Robin Nahas limited role player
Chris Knights yes but Knights should actually be in the outside mids for mine, could be inside to
Aaron Edwards
Ricky Petterd (R) potential outside mid capable IMO
Matthew McDonough
Jake King commendable , serviceable role player
Brett O'Hanlon
Daniel Jackson (Midfielder) Not a true forward

Key Forwards:
Jack Riewoldt JR natural third forward than key post up/lead
Tyrone Vickery (Ruck) TV is more a forward role player
Todd Elton (Ruck)
Ben Griffiths Yes but Griff is more a foward role player as well as back
David Astbury thinking swingman
Luke McGuane Mcguane is a forward not a key forward

Rucks:
Ivan Maric
Tom Derickx (KPP Capabilities)
Liam McBean (KPP Capabilities)
Orren Stephenson (R)

Core - 10 Players
Support - 12 Players
Immediate Depth - 12 Players
Developers - 10 Players

**Note - Underlined players are still subject to position change
-------------------------------------------------

Well, now that the list is done, it's time for some analysis.

The Positives:
Basically, we have 34 players who can all play a decent standard of senior football. That's pretty excellent depth. To put that into perspective, Collingwood only have 29 players capable of that.

Inside midfielders are absolutely booming. It comprises of two core players and four support. We can see that we are becoming increasingly stronger in this department and hopefully Conca and Vlastuin will become core players.

13 of the 22 support and core players are either in the backline or an inside midfielder. This is quite important as these are arguably the most important positions.

A very well balanced list. We have 22 players who are at least B-graders, (exception of King who is a support for structural purposes) 12 players who can come in if any get injured. Also half of those immediate depth have the potential to rise and become support or even core players.

Key defenders are well stocked with perfect balance of maturity and developers. Having two in each category shows a real strength in this area and potential to sustain this advantage too.

Our stock of medium forwards is absolutely huge. The most pleasing thing about it is the four immediate depth players. We will never take a damaging blow if any forwards go down with injuries, (Other than Titch.)

The Negatives:
The most glaring negative for me is our outside midfielders. Deledio, Grigg and Ellis are all guns. After them... White? There's not a single developer among them and the depth for the outsides is extremely poor.

Under a similar banner to outside midfielders but another glaring deficiency is pace. We have no player other than perhaps White who possesses pure pace. This is quite concerning and this needs to be addressed in the next off-season.

Ruck depth is pretty pathetic, even with the acquisition of Stephenson. Stephenson will probably retire next year, and Derickx may even be delisted if he has a similar season, which leaves us with only Maric and McBean. We need to target two 22-25 year old ruckmen, preferably with AFL experience, and keep them on the list for PROPER insurance.

In terms of our key forwards, if Vickery or Jack go down, we'll see repercussions similar to this year. Unfortunately, we don't have any support yet for Ty and Jack, and with Griffo in the backline, our best available forward is McGuane. This was partly addressed with Aaron Edwards, but I believe we need depth to replace a CHF, not a third tall.

Interesting and AAA+ for creating a thread with some meaning:thumbsu: . It is also interesting to get a feel for other peoples thoughts on how they see things. From my perception I can't agree with it all, and if I did people would think some impostor is involved:D but I will add a few things below I think need to be addressed in coming years in terms of importance.

Although we lack a little in the outside mids in terms of quality we still lack in the forward area. This is particularly evident when looking at key forward stocks, where as I am noting in my view of the world, the actual true key forward types we have of quality is few and far between, Hoping Elton can come through.

In my mind we lack the true pure key forward leading type of size, speed and strength the most.

We also need a left sided/dual sided small/med forward.

Good OP post for mine though:thumbsu:

BTW who are the 34 for RFC compared to 29 of Collingwood regards reasonable standard footy etc...???? Actually I think I have figured out your 34, who are Collingwoods equivalent 29???

I don't want to read all four pages so I apologise if this has been said.

We do NOT have 22 players who are at least b grade quality. If we did we'd be playing off for a flag. No team has that much quality. Maybe Geelong when they had 11 AA players but even then I wouldn't think so. That is a massive over rating of our list.

Also I would personally have Tuck, Foley, Newman and Grigg as core players.

To me core players are entrenched in the 22. The rest are players young players you are hoping become core players (eg Ellis, Batch and Conca, who have shown enough that I think they will be, but aren't there yet) and older guys you are hoping will be replaced by the younger ones (Jackson, King, Nahas for example).

Anyway, I believe we have enough core players to build around, and we just need to keep adding 4-5 kids a year. I think we have the core of a very good side, but we just need a couple more seasons of them playing together and developing and adding players here and there. Hopefully Vlaustin pushes out Jackson, or McDonough pushes out Nahas.

List looks well balanced now and really has a tough overall look about it and im glad weve steered clear of recruiting those flashy squib types like Saard Milaria etc .

With a bit of luck and natural improvement i carnt see why we carnt challenge for the flag next season.

Jackson ,King Nahas do not hav to b replaced for us to b a chance either imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't get all the McGuane hate.

Sure he isn't a superstar but he provides depth in many positions across the ground and is serviceable. He would be on bugger all too I reckon.

Agree tigersman there has been some idiotic posts about him im glad we kept him but im pretty sure Azza will take his spot as a third tall forward this season.

Hopefully Griff can overtake him as a forward this season but well hav to wait and see about that though.

Astbury is miles behind Mcquane for output and Elton is pretty raw as well.

Agree tigersman there has been some idiotic posts about him im glad we kept him but im pretty sure Azza will take his spot as a third tall forward this season.

Hopefully Griff can overtake him as a forward this season but well hav to wait and see about that though.

Astbury is miles behind Mcquane for output and Elton is pretty raw as well.
Astbury - 3rd year player thats been injured for 15 months
Griff has already overtaken McGuane after 3 games at senior level
Azza is so far ahead of mcGuane its not funny (why do you think they actually got him)
Elton is a kid thats been on the list 12 months, But im sure even he would be better than McGuane this year

And your talking about Idiotic posts ??????

Richmond Football Club would need to have 23 players unavailable to play before Goofy gets a game , and your glad we kept him :cool:

Astbury - 3rd year player thats been injured for 15 months
Griff has already overtaken McGuane after 3 games at senior level
Azza is so far ahead of mcGuane its not funny (why do you think they actually got him)
Elton is a kid thats been on the list 12 months, But im sure even he would be better than McGuane this year

And your talking about Idiotic posts ??????

Richmond Football Club would need to have 23 players unavailable to play before Goofy gets a game , and your glad we kept him :cool:

I base my opinion on what i seen not pure guesswork and hope.

Griff has not shown he is a better forward yet

Same with Elton

Im well aware of Mcquanes abilitys or lack of but it is what it is and hopefully some of these players you r guessing will b step up and overtake him next season actually do.

Azza is our best option YES.

Did Mcquane root ya missus or something:cool:

I base my opinion on what i seen not pure guesswork and hope.

Griff has not shown he is a better forward yet

Same with Elton

Im well aware of Mcquanes abilitys or lack of but it is what it is and hopefully some of these players you r guessing will b step up and overtake him next season actually do.

Azza is our best option YES.

Did Mcquane root ya missus or something:cool:

Yes i, guessing - Based on potential
But with Mcguane - I know !! After watching 8 years of his crap, I just cant see how such a sh!t player can still take money from MY CLUB.

Good OP post for mine though:thumbsu:

BTW who are the 34 for RFC compared to 29 of Collingwood regards reasonable standard footy etc...???? Actually I think I have figured out your 34, who are Collingwoods equivalent 29???

Thanks for the kind words.

Collingwood's 29 are bolded:

Fasolo
Russell
Didak
Maxwell
Goldsack
Krakouer
O'Brien
Clarke
Pendlebury
Blair
Ball
D. Thomas
Young
Witts
Brown
Beams
Jolly
Reid
Lynch
Sidebottom
Keefe
J. Thomas
Johnson
Sinclair (Generous)
Macaffer
Cloke
Paine
Toovey
Elliot (Generous)
Swan
Shaw
Seedsman
Gault
Williams
Broomhead
Grundy
Kennedy
Ramsay
Hudson (R)
Yagmoor
Hartley
Mooney

I really don't get all the McGuane hate.

Sure he isn't a superstar but he provides depth in many positions across the ground and is serviceable. He would be on bugger all too I reckon.

I agree but I also think we'll be having a great year if he doesn't get a game at all. He's perfect to come in the side against the bottom 4 but to play him against any team of a higher standard always ends in tears. In saying that a pre season in the forward line might just be the tonic for it all to click for him. To give credit where credit is due his defensive pressure is awesome so he doesn't have to work on that like other players do.

Thanks for the kind words.

Collingwood's 29 are bolded:

Fasolo
Russell
Didak
Maxwell
Goldsack
Krakouer
O'Brien
Clarke
Pendlebury
Blair
Ball
D. Thomas
Young
Witts
Brown
Beams
Jolly
Reid
Lynch
Sidebottom
Keefe
J. Thomas
Johnson
Sinclair (Generous)
Macaffer
Cloke
Paine
Toovey
Elliot (Generous)
Swan
Shaw
Seedsman
Gault
Williams
Broomhead
Grundy
Kennedy
Ramsay
Hudson (R)
Yagmoor
Hartley
Mooney
I'd throw Jackson Paine on that list. Probably played about 8 games this year and did quite well for his first year and the intensity level of where some of those games were at. Will mostly likely take Dawes position because the Cue Tip plays better deeper in the forward line .

I'd throw Jackson Paine on that list. Probably played about 8 games this year and did quite well for his first year and the intensity level of where some of those games were at. Will mostly likely take Dawes position because the Cue Tip plays better deeper in the forward line .

That's debatable.

If Paine is on that list, then surely Astbury should be able to go onto ours, or even O'Hanlon for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back