News List changes 2021-onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know whether Sarah Rowe and/or Aishling Sheridan coming back? It would be fantastic if they both did.

Well apparently Rowe didn't sign on for the 2021 season. I believe the club wanted her to sign for 2020/21, but she didn't want to, as she was committed to playing for her gaelic team. So if she isn't back, that's because she has no ties to us for 2021. Sounds to me she is staying put in Ireland.

Well apparently Rowe didn't sign on for the 2021 season. I believe the club wanted her to sign for 2020/21, but she didn't want to, as she was committed to playing for her gaelic team. So if she isn't back, that's because she has no ties to us for 2021. Sounds to me she is staying put in Ireland.
Where did you hear that? It probably would be tough, even if they wanted to, with covid and the travel. The club will prob say something at some point.

Where did you hear that? It probably would be tough, even if they wanted to, with covid and the travel. The club will prob say something at some point.

A little bit of research on her. She seems committed to playing with Mayo, her county Gaelic team. She didn't sign for 2021, because she didn't want to have the full commitment to the club, who could have made her stay in Australia, for the 2021 season.

A little bit of research on her. She seems committed to playing with Mayo, her county Gaelic team. She didn't sign for 2021, because she didn't want to have the full commitment to the club, who could have made her stay in Australia, for the 2021 season.
Here's a couple of articles where Rowe takes about her decision, study/work and her Mayo coach effectively banning dual AFL/GAA athletes. The Newman recruitment makes more sense now, however if Rowe doesn't play in 2021 we certainly haven't improved our list this trade period.

And one about the Mayo coach. Seems a lot aren't happy with his comments and other things.

Here's a couple of articles where Rowe takes about her decision, study/work and her Mayo coach effectively banning dual AFL/GAA athletes. The Newman recruitment makes more sense now, however if Rowe doesn't play in 2021 we certainly haven't improved our list this trade period.

And one about the Mayo coach. Seems a lot aren't happy with his comments and other things.

I doubt she will play AFLW, considering she didn't sign a two year contract with us, in order to play for Mayo. I think Mayo is where her heart truly is, and good on her for being so loyal to her county.

I doubt she will play AFLW, considering she didn't sign a two year contract with us, in order to play for Mayo. I think Mayo is where her heart truly is, and good on her for being so loyal to her county.
Yeah, it reads like she's leaning towards staying in Ireland and Mayo. Enhanced by her comments around finishing her Australian studies and gaining work in that field in Ireland.

Rowe is a loss if she doesn't return as expected. She had just found her feet.

Aishling Sheridan though was the better player I thought. I hope she is back.

I thought Sarah was fantastic in her second season. Was really looking forward to her third year with us.

I understand the difficulties faced in playing at the highest level in two countries, and it’s a great pity it’s come to either or.

Will be a loss to women’s footy and the AFLW generally, if more Irish girls are pressured not to play here. Seems petty from a distance, but I don’t know the full story. Then there’s the spectre of the pandemic and it’s restrictions continuing well into 2021, so again I could understand a reluctance to come here.

I think lot IF not all Irish players will stay home with the Pandemic Happening

Saw it just a Way to make some Money

Lambert. Love her. Our best midfielder.

Lambert has been joined by Collingwood’s 2020 co-vice-captain Brianna Davey, foundation players Stacey Livingstone and Sophie Casey, as well as 2017 draftee Kristy Stratton and 2018 draftees Jordan Membrey and Sophie Alexander.

Over the last 16 months, Lambert has twice won Collingwood’s AFLW best and fairest award, won her second Collingwood VFLW best and fairest award and shared in the club’s VFLW premiership. The 27-year-old also won 2020 All-Australian honours.

Lambert held the highest amount of disposals, contested possessions, clearances and tackles for the Pies in 2020.

The midfielder has not missed a game with Collingwood since she moved to the club from the Western Bulldogs in 2017. She has played 27 games across a four year career.

Along with Collingwood’s 2020 Captain Steph Chiocci, and fellow co-vice-captain Ash Brazill, Davey had a profound effect on the group.

Chiocci and Brazill had earlier signed on for next season.

Livingstone and Casey joined Lambert and Davey in Collingwood’s 2019 VFLW premiership success. Livingstone was awarded the Lisa Hardeman Medal for best on ground.

The pair played every match of the 2020 AFLW season, their fourth.

Membrey won Collingwood’s 2020 leading goal kicker award.

Collingwood has now secured 20 members of its 2021 squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great to be signing all of our core players from last season.

But
Do we still have to re-sign
Sharni, Britt and Erica Fowler by tomorrow?

COLLINGWOOD MAGPIES
TRADES

-Received Abbey Green from North Melbourne in exchange for pick 40

-Traded Sarah D’Arcy to Richmond for pick 17.

-Traded Sarah Dargan to Richmond for picks 31 and 45 in three-way deal with Melbourne and Richmond. Received Aliesha Newman and pick 11 to in swap for picks 10 and 17

-Traded pick 45 to Adelaide in three-way deal with Western Bulldogs, receiving pick 33 in exchange for Katie Lynch

-Received picks 19 and 25 from Western Bulldogs in exchange for pick 11

IN: Aliesha Newman, Abbey Green

OUT: Sarah D’Arcy, Sarah Dargan, Katie Lynch, Kaila Bentvelzen (health reasons), Eliza Hynes (retired), Emma Grant (retired), Machaelia Roberts (retired)

DELISTED: Georgia Gourlay

DRAFT PICKS: 19, 25, 26, 31, 33

CURRENT 2021 SQUAD: Brittany Bonnici, Sharni Layton, Sarah Rowe, Aisling Sheridan, Jaimee Lambert, Brianna Davey, Stacey Livingstone, Sophie Casey, Kristy Stratton, Jordan Membrey, Sophie Alexander, Imogen Purcell, Mikala Cann, Steph Chiocci, Lauren Butler, Erica Fowler, Ebony O’Dea, Alana Porter, Ash Brazill, Ruby Schleicher, Maddie Shevlin, Jordyn Allen, Chloe Molloy

COLLINGWOOD MAGPIES
TRADES

-Received Abbey Green from North Melbourne in exchange for pick 40

-Traded Sarah D’Arcy to Richmond for pick 17.

-Traded Sarah Dargan to Richmond for picks 31 and 45 in three-way deal with Melbourne and Richmond. Received Aliesha Newman and pick 11 to in swap for picks 10 and 17

-Traded pick 45 to Adelaide in three-way deal with Western Bulldogs, receiving pick 33 in exchange for Katie Lynch

-Received picks 19 and 25 from Western Bulldogs in exchange for pick 11

IN: Aliesha Newman, Abbey Green

OUT: Sarah D’Arcy, Sarah Dargan, Katie Lynch, Kaila Bentvelzen (health reasons), Eliza Hynes (retired), Emma Grant (retired), Machaelia Roberts (retired)

DELISTED: Georgia Gourlay

DRAFT PICKS: 19, 25, 26, 31, 33

CURRENT 2021 SQUAD: Brittany Bonnici, Sharni Layton, Sarah Rowe, Aisling Sheridan, Jaimee Lambert, Brianna Davey, Stacey Livingstone, Sophie Casey, Kristy Stratton, Jordan Membrey, Sophie Alexander, Imogen Purcell, Mikala Cann, Steph Chiocci, Lauren Butler, Erica Fowler, Ebony O’Dea, Alana Porter, Ash Brazill, Ruby Schleicher, Maddie Shevlin, Jordyn Allen, Chloe Molloy

So we have 5 list spots to fill, one of which will be Tarni Brown as a father-daughter pick and promising midfielder.

It seems we have a monoply on the 2nd round with those picks, so the remaining 4 players will come from decent picks.

Given our track record in the draft we're well positioned.

Re Tarni Brown, surely she’ll be the first AFLW player to have two brothers listed at the same club?

The bidding system will mean she will be a steal at #19 as well. It would have been interesting where she would have ranked in an open draft as there is a large bunch after the top 2 Victorian girls in MCKenzie and Smith. I assume the Pies thought it was top 10 hence the trade down to pick 19.

The bidding system will mean she will be a steal at #19 as well. It would have been interesting where she would have ranked in an open draft as there is a large bunch after the top 2 Victorian girls in MCKenzie and Smith. I assume the Pies thought it was top 10 hence the trade down to pick 19.

I think that our picks of
19,25,26,31,33 and 54

Are roughly
12, 16, 17, 20, 21 and 32 in the Victorian draft.
Roughly because I believe that you can still nominate for any or multiple of the "drafts"?

That should be fruitful with the rate of development of the youngsters now that they have the pathway and end goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back