List Mgmt. List changes, contract status and key dates - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

beardancer

Debutant
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Delistings are always tough and there is probably a case for every delisted player since year dot to have been retained.

I feel more for Joyce than Ballenden.

Ballenden got a few opportunities but never really seized them like a top player would have.

I think Joyce is more a victim of the Covid restricted VFL comp that never got off the ground in 2021. He, like so many other players at all clubs were disadvantaged by lack of opportunities.

You have bagged Matho and CEY but the nature of list management is conservatism. Both these fellas have actually shown something in the past and are at least, good solid depth. I have absolutely no idea how you can justify a claim that Joyce "is already a better onballer than Matho right now" or that neither he or CEY will add anything to our future premiership "window"

My own view is that, over the years ,the club has pretty much got their list management decisions spot on.

There haven't been many players let go, traded or de-listed that I can remember since 1997 that have turned out to be stars of the competition or come back to haunt us as "oh no what have we done" facepalms.

Headland, Cupido, Sherman, Brennan, Karnezis, Aish, Longer, Schache, Molloy, ,Rischitelli, are a few names that walked or were traded that didn't play to the level that they did when they were Lions players. Or at least, didn't exceed their reputations

Elliott Yeo is one we would like to have back but when the player ups and offs because he wants to be with his mates back in Perth, there's not a lot can be done.

There is also Docherty who walked to Carlton but who has been plagued by injury.

I'll back the club in with their list management decisions or at least until such time as they are proven grossly incorrect
Mate, I haven't "bagged" Matho and CEY, but we know what they are. They're good solid footballers........who won't play another senior game for the club. Personally I'd keep Matho as captain of the VFL team and awesome team man but how is CEY going to play with Robertson, Rayner and others getting more time onball.
We've seen some of the skill and ability of Joyce and I want to see what he can do given continuity and fitness.

Dalions

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mate, I haven't "bagged" Matho and CEY, but we know what they are. They're good solid footballers........who won't play another senior game for the club. Personally I'd keep Matho as captain of the VFL team and awesome team man but how is CEY going to play with Robertson, Rayner and others getting more time onball.
We've seen some of the skill and ability of Joyce and I want to see what he can do given continuity and fitness.
I would back Matho in to play more senior footy.

markymas

Draftee
Nov 19, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was pretty keen to see how Ely Smith was going to go in the seniors this year until injury stopped him in his tracks. If he doesn't get a game this year will we delist him? Its pretty hard to get into our midfield at the moment.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I was pretty keen to see how Ely Smith was going to go in the seniors this year until injury stopped him in his tracks. If he doesn't get a game this year will we delist him? Its pretty hard to get into our midfield at the moment.
At this stage I believe so, definitely a big season for Ely.

WhiteLionFeva

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mt Gravatt, MHSOB, FFC, CGS
When did you join the selection panel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad