List Mgmt. List changes, contract status and key dates - 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Because...? :)

It's not something I've seen claimed anywhere else hence a healthy dose of scepticism until it's shown to not just be a theory.
Yes. What briztoon says sounds right from a common sense point of view, but whether that is actually the rule or not would be worth knowing I guess.

As an aside, my day job involves building systems and business processes etc, and one thing I've found is the more complicated you make a system, the more difficult (nay, impossible) it becomes to properly plan (ahead of time) for everything which might happen "outside normal process". I suspect this is what has happened on the AFL here and essentially we are seeing rulemaking on the run.

If it is actually a rule then it opens up a lot more scope of dealing F3s for example, given multiple F2s are not uncommon. It obviously doesn't affect the F1/F2 combo since you can explicitly deal every subsequent round if you hold a single F1.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
If it is actually a rule then it opens up a lot more scope of dealing F3s for example, given multiple F2s are not uncommon. It obviously doesn't affect the F1/F2 combo since you can explicitly deal every subsequent round if you hold a single F1.
Because I’m sure I’ve seen it in previous trading period’s.

I don’t take screenshots or keep links to provide evidence I’m sorry.

Usually I have a pretty sh!t memory, but trade and draft staff I just seem to remember.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
SEN are today reporting we received Melbourne's future 4th.

1665617401378.png

EDIT: I suspect this is based on the initial (incorrect) report that we had Melbourne's 4th, when in fact we received Melbourne's 3rd in the Dunkley trade.

Has this been confirmed somewhere, or is it just speculation?
I've generally been of the impression that even if it's not the letter of the law it's so thoroughly in its spirit that the AFL would just sign off it noncontroversially as an exception.

Port weren't allowed an exemption because it would have left their future draft weaker than a 2nd 3rd and 4th.

That may have been why there was that delay between everyone looking like the deal was done and it actually being made official as the AFL had to ink up the rubber stamps.

Assuming that rule also applies to draft night trades (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't), we definitely will not be allowed to trade out two of them without acquiring an alternative F3/F4 in the process.

Because I’m sure I’ve seen it in previous trading period’s.

I don’t take screenshots or keep links to provide evidence I’m sorry.

Usually I have a pretty sh!t memory, but trade and draft staff I just seem to remember.
I usually have a great memory for these funny little counter-examples but I honestly can't recall any situation where a club has had no future first without the full complement of later picks.

I even remember it was the Jaeger O'Meara trade that demonstrated a previously unknown caveat of the rule where you could have anyone's future pick in a round - before then the wording was always about retaining all your future picks, but Hawthorn sent Gold Coast their own after receiving the Blues' in a separate trade.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I've generally been of the impression that even if it's not the letter of the law it's so thoroughly in its spirit that the AFL would just sign off it noncontroversially as an exception.

Port weren't allowed an exemption because it would have left their future draft weaker than a 2nd 3rd and 4th.

That may have been why there was that delay between everyone looking like the deal was done and it actually being made official as the AFL had to ink up the rubber stamps.

Assuming that rule also applies to draft night trades (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't), we definitely will not be allowed to trade out two of them without acquiring an alternative F3/F4 in the process.
Yes, will we need a future fourth back, if we trade out two future 3rds.

I’m not that worried about obtaining a future fourth, as most teams place little value on them in todays draft market, of few list spots and shorter drafts.

Funnily enough, I then read an AFL article summarising the trade period and it was very unambiguous that you have to hold the rest and that it's "watertight":

If clubs trade out their first-round pick in the future, they have to hold the rest of the selections.

a happy medium would be allowing the extra pick to be traded. Or, at the very least, adding a provision to the current watertight rule that gives the League discretion to allow more future picks to be traded under the right circumstances.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I usually have a great memory for these funny little counter-examples but I honestly can't recall any situation where a club has had no future first without the full complement of later picks.

I even remember it was the Jaeger O'Meara trade that demonstrated a previously unknown caveat of the rule where you could have anyone's future pick in a round - before then the wording was always about retaining all your future picks, but Hawthorn sent Gold Coast their own after receiving the Blues' in a separate trade.
Wouldn't be the first time that the AFL makes things up as they go lol

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Read this arvo we are putting Darryl White's son on the rookie list. And of course JasRulz63 is already all over it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Won't James Madden have to be promoted to your senior list for next season?
He was signed in 2018 and has been on your rookie B list for 4 years - 3 is the maximum (AFL granted a special 4th year for rookies this year due to the pandemic hindering development).

Won't James Madden have to be promoted to your senior list for next season?
He was signed in 2018 and has been on your rookie B list for 4 years - 3 is the maximum (AFL granted a special 4th year for rookies this year due to the pandemic hindering development).
Yes, he will need to be upgraded.

After the trade period, and our recent delistings, my understanding is we have space for Ashcroft, Fletcher, and to upgrade Madden to the senior list (covering the minimum three), plus one extra spot as either a senior or rookie.

We also have a space for an extra category B as McDowell-White will be our only one of those at the moment.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
INOUT
Josh Dunkley
Jack Gunston
Pick 2 (Will Ashcroft)
Pick 12 (Jasper Fletcher)
Shadeau Brain
Darryl McDowell-White
Conor McKenna
2023 3rd round (Geelong)
Daniel McStay
Tom Berry
Mitch Robinson
Ely Smith
Connor McFadyen
Deividas Uosis
Mitch Cox
Pick 15
Pick 33
Pick 44
Pick 69
2023 1st round

Basic summary of our draft and trade period. I've cancelled out the future pick swaps, because overall we only lost a future first and gained a future third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back