Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Given that we more than likely to finish in the lower quarter of the ladder and thinking forward to next season and beyond.......

Who is likely to retire?

How do our rookies rate for 2013?

Which players are in the crosshairs for delisting?

What are our priorities in trade week?

Which kids will be on our draft wish list?

Your thoughts !!

Re: Drafting, Trading & Rookie Thread

Rookies;
Pfeiffer - delist
Curnow - re-rookie / delist
Irons - delist
Jonas - re-rookie?
Butcher - delist
Webb - delist

Main List -

Phillips - delist
Salopek - unrestricted compo?
Thomas - delist
Brett Ebert - retire /delist
Salter - delist /rookie if contract
Logan - delist
Rodan - retire
Kane - vet list /delist
D. Stewart - ??? (1 year)
P. Stewart - ??? (1 year)
Banner - ??? (delist / 1 year)
Pearce - restricted / GWS / comp
:mad:
Get midfielders who can run and kick.
Ruckman
Small forward.
Free agency??

I doubt anyone will retire.

Rookies:
Pfeiffer - delist
Jonas - re-rookie
Butcher - re-rookie
Webb - Has until the end of the season to get a senior game, if he doesn't delist
Irons - assuming he's playing SANFL seniors by the end of the year, re-rookie
Curnow - If he's not at the very least putting in strong performances at reserve level, delist

Senior list:
Salopek - If he's not being consistently and deservedly played in the seniors by the end of the year, delist
Pearce - GWS?
Rodan - See Salopek
Salter - gawn, unless the 2 year contract rumours are true
Thomas - hopefully gawn. 25 year old who's never shown anything other than a strong body and a bit of courage, but not to Surjan/Logan levels.
Phillips - See Salopek/Rodan
Brett Ebert - Possibly see Salopek/Rodan/Phillips, but I'd be tempted to dump him anyway. Not what we need.
Logan - See Salopek/Rodan/Phillips, but I rate him so I hope he stays.
Cassisi, maybe Kornes - Lucky to be contracted.

So Salter, Thomas and Brett Ebert out, Pearce possibly gone by his own choice and the worst couple of performers out of Salopek, Rodan, Phillips and Logan out too. Gives us about 6/7 picks in the superdraft.

Trade week/free agency priorities:
A crumbing forward unless Banner/Hitchcock/Phillips make a significant impact before the end of the year. before the end of the year and a proven quality rebounding defender to push Pearce if he stays and Hartlett up to the midfield. Would be realistically interested in Butler (SA boy, hasn't been an automatic selection for West Coast so far this year for god knows what reason. Get Brad Ebert in his ear) or maybe Adcock as the rebounding defender from the free agency list, but there aren't any realistic small forward options that interest me so trading or a mature-ager (one better than Phillips) might be the only way to immediately fill that need if none of our current crop manage to fill it. If we don't get Butler or Adcock I wouldn't bother with free agency unless a seemingly unrealistic option suddenly becomes realistic for some reason.

Draft priorities: Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders. Our first pick should be used on a clearance winning midfielder, our second should be used on a quick, highly skilled midfielder. From that point on, I wouldn't mind seeing one pick used on a half-back with plenty of rebounding ability or a small forward if we haven't filled those needs already, or maybe a key forward prospect if one slides, but apart from that: midfielders, midfielders, midfielders. And I don't want us drafting a single player who can't kick. We have enough hard workers with little class already.

Rookies:
Pfeiffer - Delist
Jonas - Needs to improve or Delist
Butcher - Needs to improve or Delist
Webb - Has until the end of the season to get a senior game, if he doesn't delist
Irons - Delist
Curnow - If he's not at the very least putting in strong performances at reserve level, delist

Senior list:
Salopek, Rodan, Phillips, Ebert, Thomas, Logan - If he's not being consistently and deservedly played in the seniors by the end of the year, delist
Pearce - GWS
Salter - Would be gone, depends what the fine print in his contract is.

ebert signed a two year contract last year i think

I was led to believe it was one year...

The Free Agency list was released in mid March so the following guys were out of contract at the end of the year as @ mid March.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=130821

Comments in bold are mine
Port Adelaide
Player Type of Free Agency
Domenic Cassisi Unrestricted - drafted 2000 so 10 year rule
Troy Chaplin Restricted - drafted 2003 so 8 to 10 year rule
Brett Ebert Unrestricted drafted so 10 year rule
Danyle Pearce Restricted drafted 2004 ie 2005 rookie draft Dec 2004 so 8 to 10 year rule
Steven Salopek Unrestricted drafted 2002 so 10 year rule
Jacob Surjan Unrestricted - drafted 2003 ie 2004 rookie draft Dec 2003 so 8 to 10 year rule

Talking points

Provided he can stay injury-free, former Dandenong Stingray Salopek might appeal to a Victorian club looking for an injection of class through the midfield. Pearce has been a disappointment since winning the NAB AFL Rising Star, and could do with a fresh start.

Dom resigned for 2 years just after this was released.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=89809

HOW THE NEW SYSTEM WILL WORK

1. A player has served seven seasons or less of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.

The player is not eligible for free agency.......

2. A player has served seven seasons or less of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.

The player is a Free Agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

3. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club has the right to match the presented offer.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

4. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is NOT one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula.

5. A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=89809

10 year rule - ie see 5 above

Domenic Cassisi Unrestricted - drafted 2000 so 10 year rule
Brett Ebert Unrestricted drafted so 10 year rule
Steven Salopek Unrestricted drafted 2002 so 10 year rule

8+ year rule and is one of highest 10 paid players ie see 3 above.

Troy Chaplin Restricted - drafted 2003 so 8 to 10 year rule
Danyle Pearce Restricted drafted 2004 ie 2005 rookie draft Dec 2004 so 8 to 10 year rule

8+ year rule and is NOT one of highest 10 paid players ie see 4 above.

Jacob Surjan Unrestricted - drafted 2003 ie 2004 rookie draft Dec 2003 so 8 to 10 year rule

It is a big indictment against the management of this club to have so many players who are essentially not worth keeping or hoodwinking other clubs into falling for them. I hope the vast majority of those with question marks over their heads are moved on.
I would like to see Cassisi in that mix :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt anyone will retire.

Rookies:
Pfeiffer - delist
Jonas - re-rookie
Butcher - re-rookie
Irons - assuming he's playing SANFL seniors by the end of the year, re-rookie

Senior list:
Salopek - If he's not being consistently and deservedly played in the seniors by the end of the year, delist
Pearce - GWS?
Rodan - See Salopek
Salter - gawn, unless the 2 year contract rumours are true
Thomas - hopefully gawn. 25 year old who's never shown anything other than a strong body and a bit of courage, but not to Surjan/Logan levels.
Phillips - See Salopek/Rodan
Brett Ebert - Possibly see Salopek/Rodan/Phillips, but I'd be tempted to dump him anyway. Not what we need.
Logan - See Salopek/Rodan/Phillips, but I rate him so I hope he stays.
Cassisi, maybe Kornes - Lucky to be contracted.

So Salter, Thomas and Brett Ebert out, Pearce possibly gone by his own choice and the worst couple of performers out of Salopek, Rodan, Phillips and Logan out too. Gives us about 6/7 picks in the superdraft.

Trade week/free agency priorities:
A crumbing forward unless Banner/Hitchcock/Phillips make a significant impact before the end of the year. before the end of the year and a proven quality rebounding defender to push Pearce if he stays and Hartlett up to the midfield. Would be realistically interested in Butler (SA boy, hasn't been an automatic selection for West Coast so far this year for god knows what reason. Get Brad Ebert in his ear) or maybe Adcock as the rebounding defender from the free agency list, but there aren't any realistic small forward options that interest me so trading or a mature-ager (one better than Phillips) might be the only way to immediately fill that need if none of our current crop manage to fill it. If we don't get Butler or Adcock I wouldn't bother with free agency unless a seemingly unrealistic option suddenly becomes realistic for some reason.

Draft priorities: Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders. Our first pick should be used on a clearance winning midfielder, our second should be used on a quick, highly skilled midfielder. From that point on, I wouldn't mind seeing one pick used on a half-back with plenty of rebounding ability or a small forward if we haven't filled those needs already, or maybe a key forward prospect if one slides, but apart from that: midfielders, midfielders, midfielders. And I don't want us drafting a single player who can't kick. We have enough hard workers with little class already.

Excellent post..looks like most are keen to move Pfieffer on

Are there any SA midfielders of any note wanting to come home.
Gibbs comes to mind but he would be crazy to leave the Blues.

Excellent post..looks like most are keen to move Pfieffer on

Are there any SA midfielders of any note wanting to come home.
Gibbs comes to mind but he would be crazy to leave the Blues.

Hard to get back to Adelaide unless they are to retire, ild be eying Trengove, Redden, Griffen and Lycett.

Hard to get back to Adelaide unless they are to retire, ild be eying Trengove, Redden, Griffen and Lycett.

Very, very unlikely their existing clubs would do a deal to lose any of these to us. Lycett would be most likely, but unlikely still. We were lucky to get Ebert, I can't see the Eagles letting Lycett go unless he's very homesick or they have salary cap problems. Or if we're prepared to offer something really, really big for him, which I doubt we would.

Suggesting big names like those would be like a supporter from a Victorian club saying "lets go for Gray and Boak, Port might trade them". It just very unlikely to happen, clubs don't just trade their best young players for the sake of it when asked to by a club from the player's home state.

Very, very unlikely their existing clubs would do a deal to lose any of these to us. Lycett would be most likely, but unlikely still. We were lucky to get Ebert, I can't see the Eagles letting Lycett go unless he's very homesick or they have salary cap problems. Or if we're prepared to offer something really, really big for him, which I doubt we would.

Suggesting big names like those would be like a supporter from a Victorian club saying "lets go for Gray and Boak, Port might trade them". It just very unlikely to happen, clubs don't just trade their best young players for the sake of it when asked to by a club from the player's home state.

Yes I am well aware of this, but I was merely chucki.g names up.

There are several reasons I think people will shut this suggestion down, but when I read in a tiny article in the Herald Sun that contract talks with a particular player were nowhere close to beginning, and that their form has been down and the fact they haven't quite fulfilled expectations was frustrating the Bulldogs, an interest was sparked within me.

This player is Shaun Higgins.

Yes, he's a supremely talented footballer with injury trouble.. He's also a bit soft.

But, a lot of people on this board are crying out for that elite outside player.

In reality, we aren't going to attract an already elite player. We also aren't going to get the instant success people seem to expect from draftees, which will then be followed by threads devoted to negative critiques of said draftees...

Higgins COULD be an elite mid. He isn't yet, and seems to have stagnated at the Bulldogs. But if that is the only thing stopping us from looking at him, hell, we don't deserve to move up the ladder.

I'm not saying we should give up a high draft pick, or one of our key players - but this is an avenue we should look at.

Bulldogs could use another key forward up there with Jones... D. Stewart?

I'd definitely be interested. The soft, lazy, gold-pass stigma came from the Choco days, and now Primus has taken us too far away. His attitude isn't exemplary but it's not so terrible that he's not still a good footballer, and his talent is exemplary.

You don't have to be 100% committed to every contest to be a good player. Just look at Alan Didak, he's as soft as they come but he's also a premiership player and dual All-Australian. I'd take 80% of Shaun Higgins over 100% of some of the hardworking spuds we have on our team every day of the week.

It's probably one of those pie in the sky trades that would never happen, but I'd fully support it if it did without us having to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Bulldogs to get him over here. Not sure what we would give up though, the top 4 pick we're probably going to get is too high but the Bulldogs surely wouldn't take Daniel Stewart/Justin Westhoff and a second rounder. Maybe Daniel Stewart/Justin Westhoff and a downgrade of our top 4 pick to pick 7 or something where the Bulldogs are likely to end up.

So you wouldn't gun for Goddard but an injury prone Higgins yes? Trade out Westhoff IMO he has hit his ceiling and has had too long to prove himself, Stewart has worked up the hard way and in a functioning forward line will make it?

So you wouldn't gun for Goddard but an injury prone Higgins yes? Trade out Westhoff IMO he has hit his ceiling and has had too long to prove himself, Stewart has worked up the hard way and in a functioning forward line will make it?
I would be more inclined to swap D Stew for Higgins than to swap good draft picks or players for Goddard. If they wanted more, I wouldn't do either.

So you wouldn't gun for Goddard but an injury prone Higgins yes?

Goddard is three years older than Higgins and would cost much, much more than Higgins. Can you imagine what we'd have to pay to get Goddard to pick us over clubs like Carlton and Essendon who'll be throwing as many brown paper bags as they can at him?

Higgins is less than a month older than Robbie Gray. If we're ever going to challenge for a premiership while guys like Boak and Gray are still young enough to contribute, Higgins will be the same age. Goddard, on the other hand, will probably be retired by the time we're anywhere near challenging for a premiership, and the burden he'd place on our salary cap might cause one or two of Boak/Gray/Hartlett/Wingard/Butcher/Trengove etc. to look elsewhere if they want to get the amount of money that they feel entitled to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back