List Cleanup for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Mytjoe1

Debutant
May 7, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looks like were heading towards another cleanup...anywhere between 5 and 10 palyers.
how do we fill those vacancies??
Gone:
Zac Clarke
Zac Dawson
Griffin
Balic

50/50
Ballantyne
Ibbotson
Taberner
Appness
Johnson

Trade (maybe)
Suban
Sherriden
Sutcliffe

is this about right? did i miss anyone else?
who goes and who stays??

Looks like were heading towards another cleanup...anywhere between 5 and 10 palyers.
how do we fill those vacancies??
Gone:
Zac Clarke
Zac Dawson
Griffin
Balic

50/50
Ballantyne
Ibbotson
Taberner
Appness
Johnson

Trade (maybe)
Suban
Sherriden
Sutcliffe

is this about right? did i miss anyone else?
who goes and who stays??

Add Yarren to your gone list.

In the 50/50 you could remove Ballas, Apeness and probably Johnson all have received positive responses from the coach, leaving Ibbo and Tabs (Tabs should be retained but will he want to be?).

Suban is a free agent.

If he goes we could use his pick to get Matera.
the best we could get as compensation is the lowest band, band 5
Band 1: after ladder related first round pick
Band 2: End of first round
Band 3: after ladder related 2nd
Band 4: End of 2nd
Band 5: After ladder related 3rd = currently pick 41
I'd if he nominates us 41 is bang on his value

Zac Dawson seems to be confirmed as our first retiree for the year.

I know he wasn't every one's favourite but I always admired his dedication to the team and his role.
Played a crucial part in our most successful team to date and I for one will always consider him a Docker.
Game certainly passed him late in his career but in his day was a master of the big spoil.
Structurally he, along with Luke Mac, always made sure we were the best organised team behind the ball.

Here's to hoping that we can give him some form of send off in appreciation for his service.

Looks like the other Zac might be gone as well. Not sure how much they know

Fremantle is also set to part ways with injury-prone ruckman Zac Clarke at the end of the season, while the futures of Ibbotson and Pearce are also up in the air.

Goalsneak Hayden Ballantyne is expected to earn a new one-year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One would think if we move on with Clarke and Griff, then Stran would stay on the rookie list and we would potentially target another ruckman for another rookie spot

Those 2 have to be moved on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A few too many players will hang on simply because it'll be too hard to fill the list for next season if everyone who deserves to go, goes. Bad list management and a lack of foresight has resulted in this. Sheridan will end up like Suban is now and everyone will complain about him getting a game... this is why... Ballantyne will become a total liability next season or end up playing most of his footy at Peel, much like many guys this year.

I loved him for a while but when Garrick Ibbotson isn't considered an absolute goner you probably have an issue with list planning...

Ibbo was so close to becoming something special. Positioning, marking, courage all great. Kicking not too bad. Decision making / speed of making a decision... Good lord.

A few too many players will hang on simply because it'll be too hard to fill the list for next season if everyone who deserves to go, goes. Bad list management and a lack of foresight has resulted in this. Sheridan will end up like Suban is now and everyone will complain about him getting a game... this is why... Ballantyne will become a total liability next season or end up playing most of his footy at Peel, much like many guys this year.

I loved him for a while but when Garrick Ibbotson isn't considered an absolute goner you probably have an issue with list planning...

Here are 18 players that could be gone with in 2 years. Apeness and Collins may end up having a good career but I have my doubts for different reasons. The issue is you simply can not draft 9 players per year.

We were very lucky last year and were able to bring in 4 mature players and draft 4 players but you can't expect us to do that 3 years in a row. We are paying the price for s**t drafting between 2010/11 and 2012/13.

The year they are out of contract.
Taberner
Sheridan
Griffin
Ballantyne
Suban
Ibbotson
Dawson
Johnson
Clarke
Balic - Trade
Collins - ??
Yarran

Sutcliffe
Spurr -
D. Pearce
Apeness - ??
Sandilands
Mundy - May play 1 more year. Has already slowed down a bit.

The only solution I can see is to target players like Marsh, Ah Chee, Ryan, Mountford, Matera etc etc, and I personally would rather give these guys a shot than the above people. At least they have a chance of being a good B grader.

Here are 18 players that could be gone with in 2 years. Apeness and Collins may end up having a good career but I have my doubts for different reasons. The issue is you simply can not draft 9 players per year.

We were very lucky last year and were able to bring in 4 mature players and draft 4 players but you can't expect us to do that 3 years in a row. We are paying the price for s**t drafting between 2010/11 and 2012/13.

The year they are out of contract.
Taberner
Sheridan
Griffin
Ballantyne
Suban
Ibbotson
Dawson
Johnson
Clarke
Balic - Trade
Collins - ??
Yarran

Sutcliffe
Spurr -
D. Pearce
Apeness - ??
Sandilands
Mundy - May play 1 more year. Has already slowed down a bit.

The only solution I can see is to target players like Marsh, Ah Chee, Ryan, Mountford, Matera etc etc, and I personally would rather give these guys a shot than the above people. At least they have a chance of being a good B grader.
My post is saying we could genuinely get rid of a dozen players because they're old or s**t, in most cases both. It has nothing to do with drafting or trading. We're now inevitably in the position where some bad players who have had their chance and not proven a thing, will again be on the list for 2018. Wasting time.

I also don't get why Collins is this ideal candidate to get rid of. He was a mature age draft pick but it's pretty normal for a 20, 21-year old to get picked up. He is still pretty young and has a good five or six years left. He's only been a professional for two years and is a full back. He wasn't shamed in his few games and he's definitely a good back up option. Alex Pearce is constantly injured, Dawson as a full back is going, Logue is more of a loose defender or half back, Ryan is not a full back and Hamling is only one person. It's not like we have a depth of players and it's not like he's 27 and borderline... worst case scenario he's here for another two years and plays a few games as a back-up.

I personally think he's a solid player but for some reason he, with only 15 or so games, is being written off but other tall guys on our list have played 50 and are getting the benefit of the doubt? Not to mention Apeness has barely strung six months of constant football together. Very unfair. Knowing us he's exactly the candidate for delisting though... meanwhile Taberner stays and Sheridan does too...

My post is saying we could genuinely get rid of a dozen players because they're old or s**t, in most cases both. It has nothing to do with drafting or trading. We're now inevitably in the position where some bad players who have had their chance and not proven a thing, will again be on the list for 2018. Wasting time.

If we had drafted better, we wouldn't have the issue of having 12 players who are old and s**t. Are drafting means our list has no depth. Lauchie Neale is the only decent player from 3 drafts, with Crozier and Sheridan being the other 2 on our list. If we had nailed those drafts, then some of the other players would have been delisted.

I also don't get why Collins is this ideal candidate to get rid of. He was a mature age draft pick but it's pretty normal for a 20, 21-year old to get picked up. He is still pretty young and has a good five or six years left. He's only been a professional for two years and is a full back. He wasn't shamed in his few games and he's definitely a good back up option. Alex Pearce is constantly injured, Dawson as a full back is going, Logue is more of a loose defender or half back, Ryan is not a full back and Hamling is only one person. It's not like we have a depth of players and it's not like he's 27 and borderline... worst case scenario he's here for another two years and plays a few games as a back-up.

I personally think he's a solid player but for some reason he, with only 15 or so games, is being written off but other tall guys on our list have played 50 and are getting the benefit of the doubt? Not to mention Apeness has barely strung six months of constant football together. Very unfair. Knowing us he's exactly the candidate for delisting though... meanwhile Taberner stays and Sheridan does too...

Collins is a good depth player, but I have not seen any improvement in him. He is slow, and has poor skills and will only be depth for us. I do not understand what everyone sees in him.

If we had drafted better, we wouldn't have the issue of having 12 players who are old and s**t. Are drafting means our list has no depth. Lauchie Neale is the only decent player from 3 drafts, with Crozier and Sheridan being the other 2 on our list. If we had nailed those drafts, then some of the other players would have been delisted.

Collins is a good depth player, but I have not seen any improvement in him. He is slow, and has poor skills and will only be depth for us. I do not understand what everyone sees in him.
I do agree but I think the main issue is Fremantle would have kept Suban and Dawson regardless of the youth coming through. There's also a school of thought many of our players have regressed – Sutcliffe the prime example – due to coaching styles. Lachie Weller seems less like a manic dog and toes the line a lot more. I do agree that our drafting and trading is pretty average and the early 2010s was woeful but let's not forget the hard on there has been for average players. Favouritism has been the worst issue.

He is still good depth, Collins, and an extra two years won't be a big issue. I don't like this reactive picking up and delisting – I prefer the model of having smart list management with foresight where you can afford to give players four seasons to prove themselves. That's why you need to be a little risky and cut players when they're a 50/50 chance of going downhill or continuing at a decent standard, which is at age 29-ish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back