List Cleanup for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I would hope we can come to an agreement with Danyle Pearce for him to retire this seasons end.
Maybe if he is nice he might take half year payout and retire this season. He will be depth at best next year.

That said, we are moving on plenty that are uncontracted so Danyle playing for Peel next year isn't terrible. Good leader for the younger ones down there.

Looks like were heading towards another cleanup...anywhere between 5 and 10 palyers.
how do we fill those vacancies??
Gone:
Zac Clarke
Zac Dawson
Griffin
Balic

50/50
Ballantyne
Ibbotson
Taberner
Appness
Johnson

Trade (maybe)
Suban
Sherriden
Sutcliffe

is this about right? did i miss anyone else?
who goes and who stays??

Zac Clarke - Free Agent Gone?
Zac Dawson - Retire
Griffin - Retire
Harley Balic - Trade (2nd Rounder?)
Ibbotson - Trade(Maybe in Matera/Wilson/McGovern deal)
Sheridan - Trade
Sutcliffe - Trade

Suban - Keep (Unless he goes in Free Agency)
Ballantyne - Keep
Apeness - Keep
Johnson - Keep
Taberner - Keep only if we don't get McGovern

Zac Clarke - Free Agent Gone?
Zac Dawson - Retire
Griffin - Retire
Harley Balic - Trade (2nd Rounder?)
Ibbotson - Trade(Maybe in Matera/Wilson/McGovern deal)
Sheridan - Trade
Sutcliffe - Trade

Suban - Keep (Unless he goes in Free Agency)
Ballantyne - Keep
Apeness - Keep
Johnson - Keep
Taberner - Keep only if we don't get McGovern
Doubt we get a 2nd for Balic.
Ibbotson has no value - especially after watching Barlow leave for nothing last year.
Sherro and Sutcliffe also have minimal value and are worth more to us than other clubs.
Also not sure how Tabs and McGovern would be linked - totally different players.

Doubt we get a 2nd for Balic.
Ibbotson has no value - especially after watching Barlow leave for nothing last year.
Sherro and Sutcliffe also have minimal value and are worth more to us than other clubs.
Also not sure how Tabs and McGovern would be linked - totally different players.

They certainly are: one is a regular in the best forward line in the comp; the other plays in the WAFL.

Here are 18 players that could be gone with in 2 years. Apeness and Collins may end up having a good career but I have my doubts for different reasons. The issue is you simply can not draft 9 players per year.

We were very lucky last year and were able to bring in 4 mature players and draft 4 players but you can't expect us to do that 3 years in a row. We are paying the price for s**t drafting between 2010/11 and 2012/13.

The year they are out of contract.
Taberner
Sheridan
Griffin
Ballantyne
Suban
Ibbotson
Dawson
Johnson
Clarke
Balic - Trade
Collins - ??
Yarran

Sutcliffe
Spurr -
D. Pearce
Apeness - ??
Sandilands
Mundy - May play 1 more year. Has already slowed down a bit.

The only solution I can see is to target players like Marsh, Ah Chee, Ryan, Mountford, Matera etc etc, and I personally would rather give these guys a shot than the above people. At least they have a chance of being a good B grader.
Yarran(retired) ,Griffin, Ibbo, Clarke, Dawson & Balic(has trade value) all Gorn

Now decisions need to be made on Rookies: Nyhuis, Ubergang, Grey, De Luca- Strnadica & Duman have another year to go

Elevate Nyhuis, Grey & Deluca. Ubergang has had 2 yrs on rooky list can go one more(keep)- select 3 rookies. Maybe Apness put on rookie list to see how his knees hold up?

So far that gives 3 picks at lest

Really are Suban and Sheridan at best B graders no way trade or delist. Johnno is cooked should retire.
Please pay out D. Pearce

That gives us 6 picks. Keep Tabs & Ballantyne both on 1 yr deals with triggers for second yr if they meet targets

Collins is a depth player too slow fro modern game

If we payout DPearce, does that count toward our salary cap this year or next? I'd think our TPP this year would be one of the lowest in the comp and would prefer to take this hit this year so we have more to re-sign and make big offers this trade period.

If we payout DPearce, does that count toward our salary cap this year or next? I'd think our TPP this year would be one of the lowest in the comp and would prefer to take this hit this year so we have more to re-sign and make big offers this trade period.
I think it does. Still probably better moving him on and getting another rookie IMO. We are forking the money out either way and I doubt he plays more than 5 games next year.

If we put him on the rookie list like Patful at the Giants, half his 2018 salary will count towards next years cap and the other half won't be counted at all.

If we don't put him on the rookie list and pay him out, then it counts in the 2017 salary cap.

If we put him on the rookie list like Patful at the Giants, half his 2018 salary will count towards next years cap and the other half won't be counted at all.

If we don't put him on the rookie list and pay him out, then it counts in the 2017 salary cap.
Then I think I'd like to pay him out this year, let's us make some good offers this trade period.

To win a flag you need at least 14-15 A graders. so far we have as A graders:

Fyfe
Neale
Walters
Bennell(will his calves hold up?)
Sandi(got 2018 left but other than 2015 has been injury prone)
Brad H
Stevie H
Mundy(???32 and slowing down, no longer a lock for midfield)
Hamling

Possible A graders(time will tell- how long have we got?? )
Blakely
Weller
Darcey
Cox
Ryan
Tucker
Langdon
McCarthy
Apeness(problem with Knees)
A.Pearce(susceptible to stress fractures of legs- will need to be managed well)

Possible B graders(time factor)
crozier - drafted in 2011 consistently inconsistent - could be an A grader but for this
Tabener
Kersten- has been in system a while jury is still out.
Hughes
Nyhuis
Deluca
Ubergang(could be a possible A grader if he can get fit)
Strnadica
Duman

C graders
Sutcliffe- disposal issues
Suban- Plodder
Ibbo- probably delisted
D.Pearce- best is well past him
Sheridan- our 1st Rd pick in 2011 has hit a huge wall in his development - younger version of Suban

They say to win a flag besides your A graders it the last 6-7 players in the 22 need to play better than the Oppositions bottom 6-7.
We need to keep turning over list so our bottom 6-7 in 22 are at least B graders

Fyfe
Neale
Walters
Brad H
Stevie H
Hamling

Blakely
Weller
Darcey
Cox
Ryan
Tucker
Langdon
McCarthy

crozier - drafted in 2011 consistently inconsistent - could be an A grader but for this
Tabener
Hughes
Nyhuis
Deluca
Strnadica
Duman

C graders
Suban- Plodder
Ibbo- probably delisted
Sheridan- our 1st Rd pick in 2011 has hit a huge wall in his development - younger version of Suban

They say to win a flag besides your A graders it the last 6-7 players in the 22 need to play better than the Oppositions bottom 6-7.
We need to keep turning over list so our bottom 6-7 in 22 are at least B graders
14-15? you have an interesting definition of A grade. I think you're selling a few blokes short in you 'possible B grade category'. Doesn't seem much point in categorising blokes older than Stephen Hill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe
Neale
Walters
Brad H
Stevie H
Hamling

Blakely
Weller
Darcey
Cox
Ryan
Tucker
Langdon
McCarthy

Tabener
Hughes
Nyhuis
Deluca
Strnadica
Duman

C graders
Suban- Plodder
Ibbo- probably delisted

Logue?

Personally I think Fyfe, Neale, S Hill and Walters are A grade.

This hurts to say but I think moving on Johnson should be seriously considered at the end of this season. His great to average game ratio has been pretty even this year and he has pulled up way too sore after every game. I feel like his body would only allow limited games next year whether it's due to his fitness or an injury just waiting to happen. As much as I value his leadership and experience - I don't want that type of player denying opportunities anymore. Collins has been seriously and wrongfully deprived of senior games this year. Johnson should of been rested for most away games and we should of played Collins in his place instead (I DON'T WANT THIS TO FINALLY HAPPEN NEXT YEAR. SHOULD OF BEEN THIS YEAR) - as an example can we learn from not persisting with Taberner week in week out and apply that to just playing Collins full-time next year? If Ibbotson is revitalized next season him and Collins would be fine to cover if Johnson isn't here.

This hurts to say but I think moving on Johnson should be seriously considered at the end of this season. His great to average game ratio has been pretty even this year and he has pulled up way too sore after every game. I feel like his body would only allow limited games next year whether it's due to his fitness or an injury just waiting to happen. As much as I value his leadership and experience - I don't want that type of player denying opportunities anymore. Collins has been seriously and wrongfully deprived of senior games this year. Johnson should of been rested for most away games and we should of played Collins in his place instead (I DON'T WANT THIS TO FINALLY HAPPEN NEXT YEAR. SHOULD OF BEEN THIS YEAR) - as an example can we learn from not persisting with Taberner week in week out and apply that to just playing Collins full-time next year? If Ibbotson is revitalized next season him and Collins would be fine to cover if Johnson isn't here.
I don't think Collins has the tools to be a best 22 KPD, but I 100% agree that he should have had a go late in the season at least. Johnno has been down for several weeks now. I know part of it is the fact the mids are getting flogged, but he also looks slow/tired.

Pretty sure Ibbo is gone.

Throw Ballas into that conversation. Both are done IMO, yet both want to play on.

Delist/Retire/Trade if some other club is stupid enough

Griff
Ballas
Dawson
Johnson
Suban
Ibbo
Clarke
Balic (Might get a token 4th round pick)
Yarran

That's 9 already!

Without a 2nd rounder and with Ross saying we're likely to hold onto Pick 5 we'd probably struggle to replace anymore.

MJ and Ballas will both be pushing hard for an extra year. Both are complete cooked.

I'd rather give Clarke an extra year then resign either of MJ or Ballas!

Urgh, that will mean Spurr, D Pearce and Sutty will still be on the list next year.

How the ****....... Why the **** did we keep so many spuds on our list for so long?

Ibbotson, Spurr and Suban will definitely be staying, unless Suban is traded which is unlikely.

Ballantyne and Johnson are a problem because they're not the type of people to move on for the benefit of the team. I think they should take inspiration from D Pearce who has actually conceded his playing future.

Sutcliffe and Sheridan should be used for getting us picks - although I don't blame anyone for not wanting them. Unless they get traded this year they should be delisted by the end of next year so that's a relief of certainty.

Sadly we can't move on too many people; although the lock-ins will be: Balic, D Pearce, Clarke, Dawson, Griffin and Yarran. I'm not sure if any of our Rookies will get delisted. I don't keep up with them.

Sutcliffe delist
Suban delist
Sheridan trade
Z Clark trade
Mj retire
Dawson Retire
Griffin retire
Yarren delisted
Ibbotson trade/delist
Balic trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back