List four players who need to step up in 2017 for the Eagles to make top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

No one could have known Mackenzie coming back in would have been a mistake. Given he won the 2014 B&F, you'd be mad not to try and include him back into the side. Simmo gave him a chance to settle in and then dropped him when the experiment failed (he only played two games after round 11). I would hope we similarly give Naitanui a chance to settle back into the side when he comes back from his ACL. I'm alright with Simmo's treatment of Mackenzie personally.

The biggest issue about bringing Mackenzie back into the side was his poor disposal skills could upset the new look, highly skilled defense we developed in his absence. Without him all 6 defenders were capable of using the ball, but with him back it was going to slow things down while he backtracks looking for the dish off handball. Music to opposition ears as they use this time to flood back and clog our forward line. With Barrass' rapid improvement there was just no spot. He'd be ideal at a struggling club whose backline is getting pummelled, ie Brisbane, but we're a finals team wanting to go all the way to the GF and he's not the right mix unfortunately. Of course we could always send McGovern forward, my personal preference, and he may squeak back in if Schofield falls away. Other than that he's injury back up unfortunately.

Geez I hope Redden comes good and gets a decent preseason into him.

We gave up pick 17 for him which ended up with Ben McKay, promising article on this kid on the AFL site today. 199cm and 95kgs going into his second season, would have been a quality apprentice for Kennedy and an upgrade on McInness. Josh Dunkley would have been good too.

Geez I hope Redden comes good and gets a decent preseason into him.

We gave up pick 17 for him which ended up with Ben McKay, promising article on this kid on the AFL site today. 199cm and 95kgs going into his second season, would have been a quality apprentice for Kennedy and an upgrade on McInness. Josh Dunkley would have been good too.
If he can get to be a strong B grader at our 4th/5th midfield rotation we will be a lot better side for it.

Upgrade on Hutch?

Hutch nails his goals, the old Clutchings.

Redden can't kick a goal from a few metres out. You can't blame that on a poor preseason.

Plus Hutchings can play as a defensive mid and isn't totally lost on a flank.

Hutchings > Redden

Redden can't kick a goal from a few metres out. You can't blame that on a poor preseason.

Hutchings > Redden
Big call, gonna rustle some jimmies with this one. I like Hutchings.. am happy for him to be in the rotation but ideally someone like Partington, Venables, Duggan will squeeze him out.

Big call, gonna rustle some jimmies with this one. I like Hutchings.. am happy for him to be in the rotation but ideally someone like Partington, Venables, Duggan will squeeze him out.
The only role I see Redden offering anything to the club in is as an inside mid. He showed himself completely useless on the outside last year.

That would be fine, but he's stuck in the queue behind Priddis, Mitchell, Sheed and friends. How much game time will he actually get in his position? Not enough to justify picking him ahead of somebody who can play his role as well as offering other things in the time they can't run on ball.

I agree with you - ideally Hutchings will be passed by the young kids at some stage.

The only role I see Redden offering anything to the club in is as an inside mid. He showed himself completely useless on the outside last year.

That would be fine, but he's stuck in the queue behind Priddis, Mitchell, Sheed and friends. How much game time will he actually get in his position? Not enough to justify picking him ahead of somebody who can play his role as well as offering other things in the time they can't run on ball.

I agree with you - ideally Hutchings will be passed by the young kids at some stage.
Do you think we could see Mitchell play 50/50 half back/midfield? Going to be interesting to see how we set up.

Yeah i agree, hypothetically it wouldnt be bad if someone like Redden over took Priddis who may be on the decline in the next 18 months but i cant see it happening.

Hutchings > Redden
can't see either of them in our best 22 unless injury or poor form. I rather see us brining in more of a running type.

Hutchings > Redden

This is a post boarding on a troll to stir up debate.

I like Hutchings, he's a dependable role player / defensive mid with a bit of size about him and who yes can kick a goal or two when given the opportunity. He also costs us nothing to draft and little in cap space and the type of player every team needs to build a competitive list, no one can afford 22 super stars.

Redden has played some good football and can accumulate and also can kick goals. 2016 was a poor season which I put down to surgery interrupting his preseason, he had no decent fitness base to build from coming into the 2016 season and it showed. Something I blame on our selection committee on playing him too early.

The bit about kicking goals is a troll. You can say that about Masten and we will all agree, it doesn't apply to Redden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duggan
Partington
Mutimer
Karpany

If these four step up (plus others like Allen, Rioli, Gorter) and become serious first 22 options it will put pressure on guys like Hutchings, Redden, LeCras, Hill... to perform. Eagles had too many guys that had games week in week out in 2016 because no one was performing well enough at East Perth to push them out. Kept asking how the hell did Hill and LeCras keep getting games with their woeful off the ball work but no one was good enough to take their spot?

Will not be a premiership side until guys like Yeo, Hutchings and Masten playing at their best are still not good enough to make the first 22.

Top 4 is going to be a reach for us given our ruck division is comprised for the season as even after their returns Lycett and Naitanui will be underdone

It's our midfield that need to lift to cover the rucks so redden, Jetta, sheed and Duggan are the 4 that need to step up as players that can make an impact to assist Mitchell, priddis, gaff and shuey

That quartet has some class about them and if they fire it gives us an 8 deep midfield that can at least compete against the stronger groups

Agreed - they're the 4

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To me I think the key is in hoping some of our younger prospects come into the side because there is dead wood in that 22 that are just never going to step up. Won't name names, but:

Rioli to step up and play as a genuine small forward, so some other bloke can focus more on his hair and the channel 9 fishing report.

Mutimer to step up and find a home on the half back line, so some other bloke can focus more on his pedo staches and trampolining

Lamb to step up after training the house down over preseason, so some other bloke can focus full-time on training houses down

Slyce to step up because at least 1 spot in this list needs to be a ruckman and I can't bring myself to pin hopes on Giles or Petrie stepping up given they actually stepped down from their former clubs into retirement before finding spots on our list.

To me I think the key is in hoping some of our younger prospects come into the side because there is dead wood in that 22 that are just never going to step up. Won't name names, but:

Rioli to step up and play as a genuine small forward, so some other bloke can focus more on his hair and the channel 9 fishing report.

Mutimer to step up and find a home on the half back line, so some other bloke can focus more on his pedo staches and trampolining

Lamb to step up after training the house down over preseason, so some other bloke can focus full-time on training houses down

Slyce to step up because at least 1 spot in this list needs to be a ruckman and I can't bring myself to pin hopes on Giles or Petrie stepping up given they actually stepped down from their former clubs into retirement before finding spots on our list.
Ummm, neither Giles or Petrie retired? Giles was traded for pick 57...

1. LeCras certainly does not give a f*** about his hair, not that it even matters.
2. Mutimer still has a looooong way to go before he debuts let alone replace a quality backman like Wellingham.
3. Lamb has been training as a forward so I doubt he will be competing for Masten's spot.
4. How do you suppose Lycett steps up given he is coming back from a PCL reconstruction? Also Giles and Petrie never retired.

What a s**t post

1. LeCras certainly does not give a f*** about his hair, not that it even matters.
2. Mutimer still has a looooong way to go before he debuts let alone replace a quality backman like Wellingham.
3. Lamb has been training as a forward so I doubt he will be competing for Masten's spot.
4. How do you suppose Lycett steps up given he is coming back from a PCL reconstruction? Also Giles and Petrie never retired.

What a s**t post
Very odd right.. being delisted isnt retiring and being traded is even further from retiring.

Could be a troll.. Mutimer and Lamb? be awesome if they even play a game in 2017 let alone contribute.

Luke Shuey ( will then inspire the midfield ) , Josh Kennedy ( brings all the other forwards into the game ) , Jeremy McGovern ( inspires the likes of Tom Barrass and othe tall defenders ) , Brad sheppard ( is inspirational to the rebounding defenders like Hurn and wellingham ) . If these 4 players have blinders they will lift their team mates on every line and the rest will follow . Josh Kennedy plays like a CHF at times with the amount of run he does so we need 1 more in the front half like Darling to step up so be a 5th player that needs to step up to win a GF and have every line covered .

Last edited:
Luke Shuey ( will then inspire the midfield ) , Josh Kennedy ( brings all the other forwards into the game ) , Jeremy McGovern ( inspires the likes of Tom Barrass and othe tall defenders ) , Brad sheppard ( is inspirational to the rebounding defenders like Hurn and wellingham ) . If these 4 players have blinders they will lift their team mates on every line and the rest will follow . Josh Kennedy plays like a CHF at times with the amount of run he does so we need 1 more in the front half like Darling to step up so be a 5th player that needs to step up to win a GF and have every line covered .
I believe this is all that happened last year. The only thing in brackets that happened was Barrass. You could also add NicNat to the list. We need more than this again this season.

I believe this is all that happened last year. The only thing in brackets that happened was Barrass. You could also add NicNat to the list. We need more than this again this season.
The man is Sheed. Important mfer he is, if he improves our midfield will just ooze class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back