Opinion List Importance 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, there are a few reasons why he can't shake a tag:
1. Hasnt got the engine to burn the tag off.
2. Isn't putting the effort in to train properly to get the right techniques or watever.
3. Can't think of an others.
I'd say number 1 is the go here. Which means it's up to his team mates to help him out with blocks, etc, and to take the pressure off of him by being players worthy of sending a tag to.

I'd say number 1 is the go here. Which means it's up to his team mates to help him out with blocks, etc, and to take the pressure off of him by being players worthy of sending a tag to.
l agree that his teammates should help him out by blocking, but you would think after, how many seasons he has been at Brissie, he would have gotten a big enough engine to burn off the tagger. It's not like the taggers are Ryan Crowley.

l agree that his teammates should help him out by blocking, but you would think after, how many seasons he has been at Brissie, he would have gotten a big enough engine to burn off the tagger. It's not like the taggers are Ryan Crowley.
Some players have a lower physical potential than others. Given how long Rich has been training and his persistent inability to break a tag, I think it's clear that he's at the lower end. So, if he is going to break tags, he's going to have to get by with a little help from his friends.

I remember when we were playing against WB and Lower was tagging him, it was one of his lowest disposal counts ever. When a guy like Lower starts tagging you out of the game, then you know he is in trouble.
All our players had their lowest disposal counts that day.

Leuey was excellent last year considering he had no preseason after his Achilles problem. I know people get sick of hearing it, but having no fitness base heading into a season really does put you back a fair way. And Leuey had a couple of limited ones in a row from memory. But with a full preseason under his belt this year I think we'll see his full value to the team and I think he'll justify POBT's ranking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when we were playing against WB and Lower was tagging him, it was one of his lowest disposal counts ever. When a guy like Lower starts tagging you out of the game, then you know he is in trouble.

Lower wasn't actually a bad tagger. He was good enough to allow Picken to play other roles, who is a very good tagger.

Rich gets a slightly bad rap sometimes. If he plays well, people assume he wasn't tagged, which isn't always the case. The opposition nearly always pays some defensive attention to him.

And plenty of top midfielders have quiet games when faced with a good tagger. The challenge for Rich is limiting how often that occurs.

I also think it is the case that Rich can be as damaging with 22 touches as Gablett can be with 32. Rich just doesn't have as many 22 possession games as Gary has 32 +.

Nb- no empirical statistical analysis has gone into this generalisation.

Having done the list, my gut feel is pretty much what it was last year. Pretty solid 20-25 with depth being a big problem. Some potential for break-out years and with the heart of our list (Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Hanley) all now in the prime of their careers. I didn't think we were a poor side before last year and I think the same now. Having said that, I think a lot needs to go right for us to make finals.

I don't like relying on first years but I'd put Aish around #20, Robertson around #25, hopefully Taylor around the same mark. Close is unranked but he'd be in the top 25 or so based on pre-season form. That adds a little bit of depth too.

Good post.
Plenty to discuss.
If I was to be critical, a little bit of each-way and a little bit fence-sitty.
Nearly everybody gets a mention as "list important" even Polkinghorne is mentioned as chance for a regular senior spot.
Joking, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back