Strategy List Management 101

Remove this Banner Ad

Based off Eddies comment "Now that's going to be nice and tasty, when everyone has to renegotiate every contract in the place in the next five minutes. So there's going to be a bit more stories on all these types of things."

Does this mean we now have the greenlight to re-negotiate contracts off players we want to push out the door?

I expect us to focus on: Naismith, Buddy, Reid, Kennedy, Parker and Lloyd contracts from a negotiation point of view.

I know the AFL said buddy's deal was never to be broken - I would be surprised if this isn't now shifted and we can change it slightly.....

Also - I expect us to retire Naismith and pay-out with part of this allowed outside of the cap as part of List Strategy (similar to Tippett but with some of the cash outside of TPP).

As we aren't contending and alot of our players young - we can use this as a strategy and not like Geelong where it is super challenging.

I'm happy with the Swans achievements in this trade period. We didn't do any headline trades but we're not in a premiership window even if we did have the salary cap. We looked to fill a necessary role, to keep within our means and maintain our focus on player development. We found a win/win/win in a three way trade that looked after a crowd favourite player, opened an opportunity for an under-utilised talent while filling a gaping hole in our ruck and giving us more options forward. We also beefed up our draft points to make sure we can land the talent we want in the draft. If we manage to get what we want from the draft I'll give them a big tick.

While it would of been nice to add some proven quality to the side when we have academy prospects in selection these take priority over any signings we do.

Im worried if the rumours are true about our cap situation thats where the big problem is as a bottom 4 side where it can set you back years and be very difficult to climb back up the ladder.

I think a 7yr deal would of been perfect for Franklin he probably would of retired this season after given us a wonderful 5yrs of football Hawks would of not matched the deal at the time.

Think 9 years was unnecessary and unrealistic.

While it would of been nice to add some proven quality to the side when we have academy prospects in selection these take priority over any signings we do.

Im worried if the rumours are true about our cap situation thats where the big problem is as a bottom 4 side where it can set you back years and be very difficult to climb back up the ladder.

I think a 7yr deal would of been perfect for Franklin he probably would of retired this season after given us a wonderful 5yrs of football Hawks would of not matched the deal at the time.

Think 9 years was unnecessary and unrealistic.
I think it had to be 9years to smooth out the $600k he was paid in first 2 years.

Otherwise he would have been on like $1.8m last year....

It's always easier to be wise about the Franklin deal in retrospect. Even 5 years would have seemed too long had he broken down in year 3. The intent of the deal was to hold open our premiership window longer than we might have reasonably expected, with a bonus feature of a marquee forward who could put bums on seats. The plan relied on i) Tippet staying fit, ii) The ability to take advantage of our status as a destination club to acquire talented players and iii) Franklin staying fit for 5-7 years. So yes 7 years might have done the deal but we can't be sure. I doubt that leaving the Hawks was easy for Franklin.

We did not know than that the AFL would ban us from trading, that Tippet would become a liability or that Buddy would suffer from depression, effectively killing our hopes of a 2015 GF (there were other injuries too). The AFL expended considerable effort to stop us becoming the dominant team of the last 15 years. Under the goading of a number of powerful Melbourne based clubs they changed rules to limit the effectiveness of our game style, changed umpiring interpretations to suit favoured teams and showed a distinct bias towards some Melbourne teams, with the most egregious examples coming in the umpiring of the 2016 GF.

Buddy was always a gamble but the plan was pretty good at the time. A lot didn't fall our way but despite everything we still got to two more GFs and I'd argue that our Premiership window remained open through to 2017 where, despite a record breaking run of wins, our late start meant we'd expended almost everything we had with barely enough left for the ritual* thrashing of Essendon in an elimination final

*Essendon Bummers - Falling at the first hurdle since 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Back