Roast List Management: 2004 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of 2011 we had the following ruck and KPP players on the list (in order of number in case anyone wonders):

Neagle - F
Gumbleton - F
Pears (arguably) - D
Hurley - F/D
Hille - R
Carlisle - F/D
Steinberg (arguably) - F (played forward in his first year in the VFL and was the leading first year goal kicker)
Hooker - D
D. Daniher - F/D
Ryder - R/D/F
Fletcher - D
Bellchambers - R
Crameri (arguably) - F
Jenkins - R/F

I understand your frustration but I am not sure what the alternative was supposed to be.

- Neagle was on his way out
- Gumbleton spent more time in the work cover room than the injury room.
- Hille was on his last legs and no forward planning was done to upgrade the ruck order.
- Crameri was never a KPP as much as we all thought he was.
- Darcy Daniher was another injury proned that we held onto.
- Jenkins traded was again our own mis management.

That is 6/14 guys you listed we already knew what we had.

The only ones we couldn't really do anything about were Pears and the horrific number of injuries he was going to sustain and Ryder wanting to leave last year.

So knowing we were on the back foot already with 6 of our talls and we've done nothing to rectify it in recent drafts.

- Neagle was on his way out.
- Gumbleton spent more time in the work cover room than the injury room.
- Hille was on his last legs and no forward planning was done to upgrade the ruck order.
- Crameri was never a KPP as much as we all thought he was.
- Darcy Daniher was another injury proned that we held onto.
- Jenkins traded was again our own mis management.

That is 6/14 guys you listed we already knew what we had.

The only ones we couldn't really do anything about were Pears and the horrific number of injuries he was going to sustain and Ryder wanting to leave last year.

So knowing we were on the back foot already with 6 of our talls and we've done nothing to rectify it in recent drafts.

You're saying that there has been a mismanagement of the list in terms of key position players as though it has been a failure of list management strategy. I'm saying that there was not a lot wrong with the strategy in the years build up until the ASADA catastrophe.

Cloke has kicked 32 goals 21 behinds this year. For 800k a year that's not good enough

still could finish on 50 barring this calf injury, considering he is the lone man upfront its not a bad effort. forwards are going to be over paid, just look at some of the money other big forwards are on.

You're saying that there has been a mismanagement of the list in terms of key position players as though it has been a failure of list management strategy. I'm saying that there was not a lot wrong with the strategy in the years build up until the ASADA catastrophe.
We could see what was going to happen (with those limited guys on our list) yet did nothing to rectify the situation which has left us with strong best 22 players but left the club struggling for depth and long term replacements

We could see what was going to happen (with those limited guys on our list) yet did nothing to rectify the situation which has left us with strong best 22 players but left the club struggling for depth and long term replacements

Ask Hird why he was talking players into not retiring and not leaving.

Ask Hird why he was talking players into not retiring and not leaving.

I'm not talking about the smalls (who are you referring to exactly here - Winderlich? Fletcher?).

I'm not even bothered about who we have, I'm more referring to who we should have and not what we did.

We needed to keep looking to the future which we didn't.

Winderlich, Fletcher and Howlett is three list spots.

I guess my point is that I don't think it the responsibility of list management/recruiting. Other parts of the club have been making the bad decisions.

Fact is EFC drafted players like Bock,Still, Gregory etc who didn't make it !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back