List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they have a half-eaten sandwich lying around the place they could swap us for him?

Our list management has been so poor that we're basically at the point of requiring a few NBA style salary dump trades. I'd quite happily 'trade' Neade or Lobbe for nothing.

I was thinking more Neade plus someone of that salary dump type flavour, yes.

Agreed re Hewett, he has absolutely blossomed since he has been given a midfield role, he is a good size, is hard at it, and uses the ball well, I have no doubt he is moving up the pecking order.

I was told on sunday by a usually very reliable source that Houston was extremely upset about being left out of the squad to go to China, so those `trade option murmurs ' may not be too far off the mark.
At least someone gives a *.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I posted this list in "the evolution of your best 22" thread back at the start of the season. I though it would be interesting to compare how I see the best 22 and the list now.

upload_2017-6-14_23-13-53.png

Some points of interest:
- Our forward line has 3 stars and no-one else who can be classed as best 18.
- Some of our best players from last year have dropped off in performance significantly (Boak, Pittard). Luckily they have been replaced by others in Ryder, Ebert & Jonas.
- There are not 18 players that I can confidently classify as best 18.
- Drop-offs from Hartlett, Impey & Young have been disappointing
- There are 7 players in the last chance saloon. We will cut at least 5 of those players at years end.
- Backline has the best quality depth
- Midfield is strong however only one or two injuries will see us calling on kids with no experience
- Forwardline is very shallow on quality, with the depth made up of players on the way out. Major concern for future recruiting efforts.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-14_23-12-19.png
    upload_2017-6-14_23-12-19.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 11
At least someone gives a ****.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah, but surely it rings alarm bells of a poor attitude if someone who has just been moved up from the rookie list and played a whole 7 games in a row (albeit well) is then dropped for a few and decides he wants to be traded. I hope that's just heresay. Hopefully Pittard is dropped as a message and Houston back in anyway.

If we were to come to an arrangement with Lobbe e.g. like we did with Bob, would that payment form part of the salary cap if he's not on the list?
I'm sure we could find a non-playing role for him at the club for the next couple of years.
May as well cut our losses here and let Billy and Ladhams blossom.

If we were to come to an arrangement with Lobbe e.g. like we did with Bob, would that payment form part of the salary cap if he's not on the list?
I'm sure we could find a non-playing role for him at the club for the next couple of years.

Yes I believe so and yes I agree that's exactly the path we should go down.

Would Neade get more chance of a run at a Lindsay Thomas-less Roos? Can we see scenarios where an early trade with Neade involved might give something the Roos need/want as well as benefit us more than a compo pick?
Neade for Jacobs straight swap for the lolz.

Yes he is apparently still listed and talked about as being a key loss for their best 22 in the rare times he's mentioned by the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well not all roles at the club are "at the club" if you think laterally. We are the team for all Austral-asians after all*. Think plum overseas ambassadorships for former politicians. China, for example? I think there is great merit in your suggestion and all concerned might benefit.

*and for all Brazilians as well it seems, based on a couple of posters here but let's leave the big game at the Maracana for a few more years out ;)

5AA have reported that Brad Ebert and Jack Hombsch have agreed to terms with PAFC and have re-signed, they are also reporting PAFC Premiership player Dean Brogan has informed the GWS he won't continue as an assistant coach with them next season.

Could we be welcoming back another premiership hero next season in the coaching box ?

5AA have reported that Brad Ebert and Jack Hombsch have agreed to terms with PAFC and have re-signed, they are also reporting PAFC Premiership player Dean Brogan has informed the GWS he won't continue as an assistant coach with them next season.

Could we be welcoming back another premiership hero next season in the coaching box ?
Lade and Brogan just like old times.

Not sure exactly where this fits best, but as I'm gonna make some list management calls I suppose this is going to fit. Thought I might do a bit of a mid-year report card for how I've seen our players this year so far.

Travis Boak
A change in role this year has seen Boaky move out of the midfield and play more of a half forward/outside mid role. This has pretty obviously affected his output from previous years and highlighted a bit of an issue with Travis' disposal at times. Still regard him as the best leader at our club who infamously stayed with us when he could have been lured back home. Hope he gets back to his best soon.

Sam Powell-Pepper
A brilliant first 12 games from this young bloke, up there with the likes of Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard. I have to say, I respect how our club continually backs our star first round recruits if they are ready and gives them AFL experience from day one. Sam's ability to win his own ball, get the clearance, shrug the tackle and kick a goal from 50m means he'll remain in our midfield for years to come. His first game against the Swans, especially his goal in the third term will live on in my memory. Should go damn close in the rising star.

Jake Neade
Here's where I admit to not having seen much of the Magpies this season, but from what I have seen of Jake I don't think you could call this his best year of football. Had probably fallen down the pecking order a bit with Boak and Robbie Gray shifting forward, and the return of Angus Monfries from his ASADA suspension. Finally broke back into the AFL side this week against the Lions and had a pretty typical game for Jakey - 11 disposal, 6 tackles and a goal. You have to admire his defensive pressure for a guy so small though. In his fifth year of AFL, and at 23 years of age, this is probably the last chance Jake will get at proving to us he can play a part in our hunt for a flag.

Paddy Ryder
At the first home game against Fremantle I couldn't help but grin every time I saw our midfielders setting up properly at the stoppages/centre bounce. We've missed having a proper ruckman in the side after a disaster last season. Paddy has bounced back better than we could have expected, winning not only hit outs but clearances in the middle and then clunking big marks on the wing or up forward. Has been influential not only in our victories, but also our defeats (the West Coast game comes to mind). For me, could be the All Australian ruckman.

Matthew Broadbent
Broady has always been a bit of an unassuming player who can slip under the radar due to how consistent he is. Can have quiet games but almost always because he sacrificed his own game to lock down a small forward or a resting midfielder. Had 32 disposals, 6 marks and a goal in our big win over the Blues, in probably his best game for the year, showing us some attacking play I think he lacked a bit in 2016. Hope he keeps soldiering on, is still one of our best backs.

Angus Monfries
Probably the most unlucky player on our list to have not played a senior game in the first half of the year. His form in the SANFL has been fantastic, getting a fair bit of the ball through the midfield and kicking a couple of big bags of goals. Thought he was a shoe in to return to the Power when Chad Wingard got injured but missed out to Aaron Young and a hamstring injury. After a tough year on the sidelines which saw him alsmost not come back, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Gus called it quits at the end of the year. Just hope he can get an opportunity in the AFL before then.

Brad Ebert
Has become more of an inside mid/contested ball winner this year, a change from his link man role of years past. Has really stepped up in the role and is having one of his best years ever, averaging 5.2 clearances and 26.7 disposals a game. I've missed him taking big contested marks a bit this year though, maybe due to his role change or the Ryder/Dixon factor. His game against the Suns in Shanghai only days after the birth of little Leo won him the medal on the day, although you could have given it to about ten of players for their efforts in that game. Was big against the Hawks a couple weeks ago too, with 34 disposals, 7 clearance, 5 marks and 12 tackles. Apart from those has just been really consistent and would be top 3 for our Best and Fairest at this point.

Hamish Hartlett
Hammer has been one of my favourite players since his debut in 2010, but even I can see how he has fallen from his best form in the last couple of years. His move to half back has seen him improve a little and remain relevant to the side without having to go through the midfield. He is another who I remember having a good game against the Hawks, especially his one-on-one defending in that game. Will need more performances like that one to ensure he keeps his spot as our huge number of young half backs continue to improve.

Robbie Gray
Another with a role change this year, Robbie has returned to the forward line where he began his career. Definitely hasn't been as influential as he has been in the past, partly I think due to his new role and partly to what we all presume is some kind of groin/leg injury. Has had a couple of huge games for us though, the Fremantle game where he had 30 touches and kicked 6 straight probably the best among them. Still our best player, just needs to find that fitness/form.

Aaron Young
After a massive 2016 which saw Youngy lock down a best 22 spot in our forward line, "The Vein" has taken a bit of a step backwards this year. Again, with Boaky and Robbie moving forward, Young has fallen to the wayside a little bit, no longer our preferred small target up forward. Has dropped back to the SANFL where he has had a couple of big games which saw him make his way straight back in (helped by an injury to Wingrad and poor effort vs Essendon). One that remains a little bit fringey as we enter the second half of the year, may lose his spot to allow Monfries an opportunity at some point I'd wager, but one who can still contribute.

Jackson Trengove
Jacko has gone from a tall defender to a ruckman to a tall forward in a period of just over 18 months and he's done his best to adapt each time. His current role up forward or pinch hitting in the ruck while Paddy has a spell has seen him be a little quieter than years previous. Would love him to have a game like Harry Taylor did earlier in the year where he kicks a bag of 4 or 5 and really makes an impact. Most telling is that probably his best game so far this season came in our loss to the Giants, in which he had to ruck all day due to Ryder serving a one week suspension. Thought he looked ok late this week against the Lions too when Ryder parked himself forward in the second half.

Todd Marshall
Again, with little SANFL viewing under my belt it's hard to comment, but from what I can gleam from the stats and the snippets I have seen, Todd's going along ok. Still looks skinny and pretty raw, but could develop in the next couple of years and make an impact.

Billy Frampton
Another who has spent all year at Maggies, Big Bill has sent time in just about every key position on the ground this season as he continues to develop. The hope is probably that he develops into our next ruckman or key forward, but is competing with a number of young players (and Matt Lobbe) for those roles at the moment.

Karl Amon
Thought his start to the year was pretty solid, enjoyed his outside run and ball movement. Dropped off a bit though and has found himself in the Maggies one week, before injuring his knee and being the late out for the Hawks game. Might come back through the SANFL, but will be lining up for AFL selection shortly after I'd say. Hope he continues to improve, can go missing in games at times.

Ollie Wines
Already a star young player, but has really shone this year after copping a rocket toward the end of last season from Kenny. Is now our best inside midfielder, leading us in average disposals and clearances, and could arguably be leading our best and fairest at the half way mark. Can pop up and kick an important goal here and there, or lay a big bump or tackle when needed. His leadership on and off the ground is apparent too, stepping into the vice captaincy this year. Will probably be our next captain and could play 300 games for the club. A gun.

Tom Clurey
Was probably a toss up between him or Logan Austin for the best young tall back coming into this season. Clurey won out based off of his pre season form and has proven to be solid. Has had some poor games, and has had key forwards kick some bags on him but at times it's been due to a lack of support from his fellow tall backs or a simple lack of experience. One that I will watch closely as the year goes on, is getting better all the time.

Jimmy Toumpas
Made a bit of a surprise return to the AFL side against the Hawks when Karl Amon was the late withdrawal. Had a good game that night before a fairly putrid one against the Bombers. Can burn the ball a bit and goes missing at times, needs to find some consistency. Probably not helped by the pressure of being a high draft pick and then the club working hard to get him across from Melbourne. Seems to be the kind of player who matured early and dominated at a junior level but is struggling now that his peers have caught up. Probably needs to get back into the AFL side by the end of the year is he wants to stay on the list.

Matt White
Just the one AFL game for Matty White this year, a fairly mild performance in Canberra. Seems to have lost a bit of pace after a lot of injuries and possibly due to his age. Had been surpassed by Karl Amon and Jarman Impey and may struggle to get back in. Could be another one to leave us at the end of the season.

Chad Wingard
A move into the midfield slightly more permanently has always seemed like a great idea for arguably our best ball user, but Chad has times struggled to get his mits on the ball this year. I think we've also missed some of his impact on the scoreboard too, as he's kicked far fewer goals due to that role change. Would like him to keep working through the middle but wouldn't mind him rotating with Robbie Gray a bit more often maybe, assuming Robbie is actually "totally fine". Still an absolute gun, hope Chad stays with us for his whole career.

Jared Polec
Finally returned to the form of his earlier seasons with us, providing elite outside running and ball movement. Enjoys to pop up and bomb a goal every couple of weeks too, the only thing that frustrates is when he is constantly trapped on his right leg, and over handballs it/coughs it up/tries some fancy inside out stuff on his left. His hamstring injury late in the game this week is going to be an absolute bummer, hope he gets back in a week or two.

Charlie Dixon
Has played really well this year, leading the competition in competitive marks which is an incredible effort for a guy who could hardly catch a cold in 2016. Not only is he marking inside 50, but he's pushing up the ground and taking marks up on the wing and the flanks, opening the forward 50 up for our mosquito squad. Probably could have kicked more goals than he has, if not for his selflessness to pass to a teammate, his occasional bad miss from a set shot, or his inability to count to 30 blatant cheating from the umpires. Is our number one forward and I just hope we can eventually find someone to play the Watson to his Holmes, the Robin to his batman, the Roughead to his Franklin.

Matthew Lobbe
Has gone from our number one ruckman, and one of the best in the league to an slightly above average SANFL player. Would love him to find some old form and become the elite ruck he used to be, but it looks like injuries and some guy called Patrick has hurt Prince Harry's career. Arguably should be a Bulldog after they offered a first round pick and Tom Campbell a couple years back, but the looming ASADA verdict had us balk at that and kept him on our list. Couple be another that gets traded in the nearish future, if anyone out there will still want him. Would need to be sure that Frampton and/or Ladhams is ready to go if needed.

Jarman Impey
After a terrible start to the year off the field in more ways than one for young Jars, he got back into the side in round 2 and hasn't really looked back. Hasn't torn a game apart yet but his outside running and ball use have been solid and he's worked well in tandem with Jared Polec and Karl Amon in that role. Like Karl, has the tendency to fade in and out a bit, and go whole games where he you don't see him much (like the Brisbane game this week). Needs to keep finding that consistency, but one who has benefited from all the role changes this year.

Logan Austin
Thought he was really solid in the games he played at the end of last year but lost the spot to Clurey and the returning talls. Has had a varied year at the Maggies, I recall him getting destroyed in the Glenelg(??) game and having a bag kicked on him. Needs to keep developing, I'm confident he could be a solid player for us in a couple years.

Riley Bonner
After his debut at the very end of 2016 I thought we might see a bit more of Riley this year but a few players have gone passed him it seems. Still see him as a great young talent, with a fantastic kick. Look forward to him developing in the 2s for a bit longer.

Brett Eddy
Thought he'd be playing most of the year when we picked him up but after a couple of very quiet early games in the AFL he got dropped back to state league. At times I think we should have had him in, the Giants game is a classic example of when we were probably one tall player short. But apart from that I can see why Ken and the coaches have left him out when looking at our team structure. I also think Bretty would prefer to play as the main target, having done so well in that role at South and even at the Maggies this year, but with Charlie there that's never going to be the case. For me, would have to mean Trengove or Westhoff or someone goes to the SANFL before he gets a shot (or Jacko moves back to defense), which is unlikely at this stage. Still think he could give us something but it's hard to fit him in right now.

Willem Drew
Another who I haven't seen much of, but was impressed by his preseason form. Could develop into something handy for us in a few years.

Jasper Pittard
Had an injury interrupted start to the year and when he made his way into the Power lineup struggled with form, which came to a head after the Bombers game. Needs to have a couple of big weeks in the SANFL before being reconsidered in my opinion. Ultimately, that will only spark more debate around his contract for 2018. I think he'll stay but at the same time I'm interested in what we could get for him. Based off of the form of Dan Houston, Riley Bonner and co., may not be the worst player to lose. Ken loves him though so I'm sure he'll want him to stay.

Joe Atley
Same as Drew and a heap of others, haven't seen much beyond his preseason stuff, but he looks like a competitor. Another who could come in at some point and play a part if injuries required it.

Aidyn Johnson
Surprised me a bit in his debut against the Blues, thought he had a really great game and was bloody unlucky to get dropped the next week. I'm sure the taste of AFL footy will spurr him to keep improving. Has done his AC joint on the weekend but sounds like it's a minor one.

Dougal Howard
Was just hitting his stride in the AFL lineup when he did his knee last year. Came back slightly quicker than expected and has spent some time in defence for the Maggies, before moving forward a couple weeks ago. Kicked 8 the other day against Westies which is a great sign. Along with Brett Eddy could be that 2nd/3rd tall forward option if we ever decide to go for it. Honestly think he could be something pretty great if he continues to be injury free.

Darcy Byrne-Jones
Found a spot down back last year amongst all the injuries and hasn't let it go. He's a real competitor and works well one-on-one with the small forwards. Could be our answer to the likes of Eddie Betts as his career continues.

Will Snelling
Another who came in for the last game of 2016 and who could have stepped up this year. Ultimately has probably lost his spot to Powell-Pepper as that inside midfielder. I think he stays on the list for at least another year.

Jack Hombsch
Think we missed him a ton last season, but hasn't been brilliant on his return. Still think he's our best intercept marker and can hold his own one-on-one too. Works well with TJ and Clurey, along with the smalls.

Jesse Palmer
Won't forget that mark in the second showdown last season where for a full five seconds or so I couldn't work out who he was. Has moved up the ground a bit for the Maggies with so many young forwards swamping it at the moment. Has looked out of place from what I've seen, would like him to get larger numbers at times. Is sort of that awkward height a bit like Ah Chee which could trouble opponents.

Peter Ladhams
One who I have seen very little of, and one who will take some time to develop. Hope he doesn't get lose anything having to compete with Lobbe and Frampton fro a ruck role, or Doogs, Marshall, Eddy, etc for a forward position. Still very young.

Justin Westhoff
Has moved even more into the midfield this year than ever before, Hoff has had his ups and downs. Doesn't seem to have the same kind of pace or aggressive offence as he might of once had. Still phases in and out of games a bit, as he always has, can go forward and nail attempt to kick a goal, can go back and provide that loose man in defence, taking important marks. Still has a role in the side but needs to lift at times as a senior player.

Jarrod Lienert
Yet another I haven't seen much of (I really need to get to Alberton more often) plays down back and seems to be pretty aggressive. Is on the long waiting list of young defenders.

Brendon Ah Chee
A tall midfielder with a huge handpass and the ability to go forward and kick a few goals, Arch should be a lock in our side, but instead finds himself decidedly fringey. Had a good game against the Hawks but was a victim of the shake up after the Essendon debacle. Would like him to work his way back into the side and would like to see him get more midfield time if/when he does. Needs to show something before the end of the year of he's to keep a spot on the list.

Tom Jonas
TJ has been our best back this year, finally returning after missing the second half of 2016 from injury and trying to kill Andrew Gaff serving a six week suspension. Loses height to a lot of really big key forwards but manages to make up for it with his amazing spoils over the top of the contest. Works really well as the third man to the contest too, helping his teammates back there.

Dan Houston
Where'd this kid come from. Was a forward when we drafted him then went back last year during all the injuries to defenders. Made a big impact in the preseason and was rewarded with a round 1 debut played the next 7 games but missed out on a trip to China before getting his spot back this week against the Lions. Has fanatstic decision making and a great kick, doesn't seem to get flustered or panicked at all for such a new player. Could continue to keep one of our more experienced backs out (currently Pittard) if he keeps performing

Cameron Hewett
Another in the Maggies lineup, a rookie listed player who has spent time forward and back, hasn't set the world alight from what I've seen and has had a couple injuries, may be one who gets looked at at the end of the year, but hasn't had many opportunities to show what he's got.

Emmanuel Irra
Definitely has some pace but also looks pretty raw, needs time to develop, will keep his spot.

Sam Gray
Has become a permanent high half forward for us. Generally can find the best option when moving the ball inside 50 or when passing to allow for a better set shot. Can win his own ball and attacks hard for a player of his size, can move into a more pure midfield or pure forward role. Just. Can't. Nail. The. Freaking. Shots. On. Goal. If he kicked 4 goals a game he'd be one of our best, instead Sam struggles to nail even the easiest shots, especially when under pressure. Not the only culprit by any means, but the most consistently frustrating.

Nathan Krakouer
Another experienced player who has been surpassed, Krak would struggle to....crack....the forward line or the back line at the moment. Has had a problem with his heel which kept him out for a short while, but has had some good games at the Maggies, kicked 5 against the Crows. Is now that Tommy Logan, Jacob Surjan, Paul Stewart mentor type player back there now I hope, teaching the next gen of Power players. Could be gone at the end of the year.

Overall, a pretty good year for the Power so far, considering some "experts" had us finishing well down the ladder and we are sitting top 4. Unsure if that will continue after a poor showing against the Bombers and a less than convincing win over the Lions, time will tell. Defensively we look much stronger and that's helping our attack (there's some adage about that).

In terms of list management, players who could be on their way out are:

Neade, Monfries (ret), Toumpas, White (ret), Lobbe (trade), Ah Chee, Krakouer

I've got AhChee, White, Toumpas, possibly Neade delisted or traded and Lobbe would be another but I can't see it happening, no club will touch him and it maybe to expensive to delist him. Outside of that as I don't see the SANFL games I can't comment on the younger guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back