List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing on the down low that Essendon is interested in the services of lobbe which would make sense with there ruck stocks hope we can find a deal that suits both parties especially since it's known that Essendon are the hardest club to trade with in the league

Bellchambers & Leuey are significantly better footballers than Lobbe and we are only playing 1 atm with Joey pinch hitting. Hell I would rather keep Shaun McKernan on our list as our back up as he would be cheaper and is much more versatile.

I think Port may have to keep Lobbe unfortunately, his SANFL form stinks

Last edited:
So, Dan Houston is on the rookie list and out of contract. Surely, he deserves a spot on the main list after this year.

I would think a 2 year contract is appropriate but maybe a 1 year contract as he is off the rookie list (to see if he can back it up)

And does Port Adelaide have to wait to the off season to resign him?

Bellchambers & Leuey are significantly better footballers than Lobbe and we are only playing 1 atm with Joey pinch hitting. Hell I would rather keep Shaun McKernan on our list as our back up as he would be cheaper and is much more versatile.

I think Port may have to keep Lobbe unfortunately, his SANFL form stinks

You sir, are a killjoy of major proportions!

So, Dan Houston is on the rookie list and out of contract. Surely, he deserves a spot on the main list after this year.
I would think a 2 year contract is appropriate but maybe a 1 year contract as he is off the rookie list (to see if he can back it up)
And does Port Adelaide have to wait to the off season to resign him?
Dan is not on the rookie list and he is out of contract at the end of 2017.
The Club will offer him another contract.

Dan is not on the rookie list and he is out of contract at the end of 2017.
The Club will offer him another contract.

He was elevated in round 1 along with Brett Eddy.

So technically, I suppose you could say he was on the main list, but won't he get bumped back to the rookie list at the end of the year for list management reasons and then have to be formally elevated to the main

I am unsure if the club can resign him before the end of the year as he is an elevated rookie.

It will only he a matter of time though before they sign him.

I'm not in favour of delisting Lobbe. Trading him for a half-eaten sandwich, sure, but if we have to pay his salary anyway we may as well have him play out his contract as a break glass in case of emergency ruck. Makes more sense than paying him to sit on his couch and eat potato chips while we have two zero-gamers running around in the SANFL as Ryder's only backup.

This is predicated on the assumption that we couldn't find a better back up ruckman than Lobbe, which is a very questionable assumption indeed.

This is predicated on the assumption that we couldn't find a better back up ruckman than Lobbe, which is a very questionable assumption indeed.

No it isn't, because if we went out and found a better backup ruckman we'd have to pay that backup ruckman and pay Lobbe, and the 400k a year we're paying Lobbe is already too much to spend on a backup ruck without making it a combined 500k-600k.

Again, I would trade him for literally anything to get that salary off of our books, but if we're stuck paying him anyway we may as well try to extract what little value he's able to provide.

Monfries, Ah Che, Johnson, Eddy, White, Krak and Snelling would be first in line if we are going to swing the axe. All of whom shouldn't be in the firing line I feel.

Add boak, lobbe, SGray and westhoff to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest what had Pittard given us to suggest he is worthy of a healthy deal in terms of cash and years?

Broadbent, Lobbe, Westhoff, Hartlett and Pittard where are they when it gets close? Happy for all to leave. If Boak keeps this up I'd add him to this list and gees it kills me to say that.

We've got a great spine with a mix of youth and middle-aged players (e.g. Jonas and Ebert) to build a decent team around:

Defenders: Clurey, Hombsch, Jonas, Houston
Midfielders: Ebert, Powell-Pepper, Wines, Polec
Forwards: Dixon, Wingard
???: Trengove

We also have a few half-proven players at AFL level with some youth on their side who still have the potential to be great:

Defenders: Byrne-Jones, Austin
Midfielders: Amon
Forwards: Young, Impey

A plethora of unused potential youth talent stuck in the Magpies:

Defenders: Bonner
Midfielders/Rucks: Atley, Frampton, Drew (don't know his preferred position)
Forwards: Howard, Palmer, Johnson (don't know his preferred position), Marshall

We have Robbie Gray and Ryder, two absolute stars of the game at their best who we shouldn't move along even as they get older (IMO), and a couple of other proven older players in Boak, Monfries and White, who can still come good with proper management and playing them in the right positions. There is also Broadbent, who is pretty solid and serviceable but not indispensable, and didn't really fit into any of the other categories :drunk: and Brett Eddy, a player in his prime in terms of age but for *reasons* can't get a game at AFL level.

That leaves the players who can be good but need to pull their fingers out:

Westhoff, Hartlett, Pittard

The players who simply aren't good enough at AFL level:

Sam Gray, Ah Chee, Neade, Toumpas, Krakouer, Lobbe

And the players who haven't really been tried at AFL but don't look like breaking into the team:

Snelling, Ladhams, Lienert, Hewett, Irra

We've still got the talent on our list to be a contender. Our spine of youth is going to be fantastic in the next few years, but there are plenty of players who aren't rewarding their selections (e.g. Impey and Hartlett) and plenty of players with great potential who are waiting in the reserves to take their place. I just hope the coaches come to their senses and manage to get some of the potential out of this list.

I'd like to trade Boak, Broady, Lobbe, HH and Impey with Jasper and Trengove walking.

De-list Krak, Monfries, White, Toump, Arch and Young.

Just saying. That would be a culture change.

Last edited:
We've got a great spine with a mix of youth and middle-aged players (e.g. Jonas and Ebert) to build a decent team around:

Defenders: Clurey, Hombsch, Jonas, Houston
Midfielders: Ebert, Powell-Pepper, Wines, Polec
Forwards: Dixon, Wingard
???: Trengove

We also have a few half-proven players at AFL level with some youth on their side who still have the potential to be great:

Defenders: Byrne-Jones, Austin
Midfielders: Amon
Forwards: Young, Impey

A plethora of unused potential youth talent stuck in the Magpies:

Defenders: Bonner
Midfielders/Rucks: Atley, Frampton, Drew (don't know his preferred position)
Forwards: Howard, Palmer, Johnson (don't know his preferred position), Marshall

We have Robbie Gray and Ryder, two absolute stars of the game at their best who we shouldn't move along even as they get older (IMO), and a couple of other proven older players in Boak, Monfries and White, who can still come good with proper management and playing them in the right positions. There is also Broadbent, who is pretty solid and serviceable but not indispensable, and didn't really fit into any of the other categories :drunk: and Brett Eddy, a player in his prime in terms of age but for *reasons* can't get a game at AFL level.

That leaves the players who can be good but need to pull their fingers out:

Westhoff, Hartlett, Pittard

The players who simply aren't good enough at AFL level:

Sam Gray, Ah Chee, Neade, Toumpas, Krakouer, Lobbe

And the players who haven't really been tried at AFL but don't look like breaking into the team:

Snelling, Ladhams, Lienert, Hewett, Irra

We've still got the talent on our list to be a contender. Our spine of youth is going to be fantastic in the next few years, but there are plenty of players who aren't rewarding their selections (e.g. Impey and Hartlett) and plenty of players with great potential who are waiting in the reserves to take their place. I just hope the coaches come to their senses and manage to get some of the potential out of this list.
Great post plenty of young talent our list many still waiting for they chance. Change at the tip of the list, back in the kids and see what a new coach can do.

It sure would, whether it would be a culture change for the better would be disputable though.

We aren't going to lose all those players in a year but we will move on most of Krak, Monfries, White, Toump, Arch and Young.

Jasper and Trengove are woth more to other lists than ours.

Jasper, Boak, Broady, Lobbe, HH and Impey have become less than they should have. Impey still has youth on his side and we need his speed. Our senior leadership players are disappointing. No one stands up in close matches. We need to shake the tree. Trading a couple of senior players would be a positive culture change for the club and the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back