List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people keep missing the reference to a back ended contact? I'm isolation 750,000 is a lot of money, but hypothetically receiving 200,000 per year for 2 years prior makes it under 400,000 a year. That's how it works trying to fit in the salary cap. Part of the reason Carlton wanted to hang on to Gibbs, because he was on low money at the end of his contract.

i wouldnt be against offering andy otten a contract as a FA. would do a hell of a lot more than trnegove up forward and can go back if needed etc
Andy Otten thrived playing 4th banana to Walker, Jenkins & Lynch, we're not even willing to play a proper second tall let alone a 3rd so he'd be about as useful to us as Jacko pinching the odd goal or 2 every 2nd week.

Throw the cheque book at Casboult I say. (well over S Motlop anyway). Not sure of Casboult's FA but Carlton do have a lot youngsters coming through atm and he could be surplus to them. Motlop is a one sided player, and is incredibly selfish.

yeah he (cas) can be eratic, but playing him with Dixon will let Dixon loose of having 3 defenders on him every time the ball goes i50
Then play Frampton/Marshall as the 3rd tall we actually have somewhat a competitive forward line.

Daily reminder that we have no first round pick.

giphy.gif

In a round about way our 2017 1st round pick is SPP, so I've made my peace with it.

I'm hoping we manage to snare a first rounder for one of our stale centre half back bread loaves.

Last edited:
Google this... port-adelaide-primed-by-salary-cap-bonus-to-gain-rather-than-lose-in-afl-free-agency
Well blow me down, that worked. Thanks.
A couple of exerpts:
The AFL’s review of the 18 clubs’ wage bills - and potential to work to the new collective bargaining agreement signed in late June - highlights Port Adelaide can make big plays in the free agency market because it has minimal salary cap pressure.
The Power’s salary cap profile for future seasons is
- contrary to popular opinion - in the bottom six of AFL payments, according to the league’s official summary.

Westhoff passed up free agency at the end of last month by using the 15-game trigger in his current contract to score a one-year extension to his deal at Alberton. Pittard and Trengove, 26, will negotiate new deals before the season ends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we're keeping the not-a-forward/not-a-ruckman and the guy we've dropped twice this year when we have a chance to let them walk for set compensation?

Why wouldn't you want to stay here and get paid to play with your mates with more consequence-free job security than a permanent government role.

It's incredible isn't it

And people wonder why we are so average. No matter what, no matter what the evidence says, no matter what your eyes tell you we are incapable of making any sort of decision that may hurt someones feelings.

We're not real anymore.

Your larger point has merit but if we do sign up Rockliff or Motlop (or some other free agent) we wouldn't receive any compensation for the loss of Pittard/Trengove. Clubs who go one-in one-out in free agency don't get a compensation pick.

I'd be good with two out one in :thumbsu:

I'm dejected with how we sign up so many fringe players. Sign some so we keep depth but turn over the rest more regularly. There will always be lots of fringe players but if you turn them over regularly it becomes probable of finding a gem. We need to replenish our midfield stocks but not with plodders. We need guys that are quick in getting to the ball.

A couple of exerpts:
The AFL’s review of the 18 clubs’ wage bills - and potential to work to the new collective bargaining agreement signed in late June - highlights Port Adelaide can make big plays in the free agency market because it has minimal salary cap pressure.
- contrary to popular opinion - in the bottom six of AFL payments, according to the league’s official summary.

Westhoff passed up free agency at the end of last month by using the 15-game trigger in his current contract to score a one-year extension to his deal at Alberton. Pittard and Trengove, 26, will negotiate new deals before the season ends.
You can always get around a paywall with Google if you have the heading of the article.
That's why I put the heading on here in bold then say at the bottom, after a few lines of the article ... paywall ... simple

A couple of exerpts:

Wait

Official summary released by the league says we are in the bottom 6 of afl payments yet for like 3 years media and every turdbucket has been sprouting but poortz celery cap explosion herp derp.

Wait

Official summary released by the league says we are in the bottom 6 of afl payments yet for like 3 years media and every turdbucket has been sprouting but poortz celery cap explosion herp derp.

The line I heard is unlike many clubs we hadn't put clauses in a lot of contracts linking them to CBA's.

I also imagine at the end of this season Monfries and White will go off the list or take massive cuts.

Last edited:
I assume this has already been discussed, however I stumbled over this old article in The Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/def269fdfbd01860d4463f022eca2a75

Confidential figures obtained by The Weekend Australian showthat 24 per cent of Port Adelaide’s primary list of 38 players — as at the start of 2017 and not including seven rookie-listed players — will earn football salaries of almost 60 per cent of the projected cap. And that’s after two seasons of not reaching the finals.

Robbie Gray, who has won Port’s past three best and fairest awards, is their million-dollar man. His earning capacity will just shade that of captain Travis Boak.

Below them is a group of seven players: Charlie Dixon, Trengove, Matthew Lobbe, Chad Wingard, Hamish Hartlett, Paddy Ryder and Ollie Wines, who will earn more than $700,000 this year.

Surely Lobbe and Trengove are not earning $700K!

* Motlop.
If he wasn't a FA we wouldn't even look but because he is and we have room we need to sign him?
A quick soft bloke who squibs a contest? He can can do that with his stupid finger twirl goal celebration at some other club.

He's not gonna win us a flag. It runs deeper than that.
Plus we've seen this last piece of the puzzle spin before.

The sooner people take off the Port goggles and realise some of these players, especially the 'favourite' ones, just aren't that good then we can start making some inroads.

Trim the fat, get something for them while they are still worth more than a bag of chips and a carton of coke zeros and let's start being ******* real again, hey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back