List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes' article about Pittard re-signing and Trengove maybe going, which I have put the relevant bits in their own threads, also mentioned a few other players.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/11bd6a58388e2d81ba7009a8ca8c268a
Angus Monfries is expected to announce his retirement in the coming weeks, which leaves Karl Amon, Aaron Young, Brendon Ah Chee and Sam Gray as the most notable remaining signatures.

Given Young and Ah Chee’s inability to cement places in best team this season both may look elsewhere for greater opportunities. The questions remains: Does Port Adelaide’s list-management team see a future for Young and Ah Chee at Alberton?

More importantly, what does this group need to find in the player market to go from a finals also-ran to a genuine premiership contender? Port Adelaide lacks class and speed in the midfield. Geelong free agent Steven Motlop can solve this need. Despite a frustrating career, Motlop is a match-winner and would work perfectly with the inside midfielders winning the ball.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/11bd6a58388e2d81ba7009a8ca8c268a
Don't wish Mots onto yourself unless you allow him to play permanent forward because he will just frustrate you and it doesn't help that he never gets deservedly dropped.

As a midfielder he's a great gutrunner and has 3 good games a year but as a forward you could back him in for 50 goals a year which is where he's most damaging. Supposedly had an awful 2016 season yet kicked about 40 goals playing predominantly as a forward. Imagine him having a good season based off those numbers

Sam Gray has played every single game this year. Polarising figure on here but Ken clearly loves him and he's a 100% certainty to get another contract, like it or not.
Wouldn't be surprised if he is axed having no good small forwards to play (wingard and r gray playing midfield and forward) but as you say he will resign (unfortunately)

I would love to be as sure of winning x-lotto as I am that Sam Gray will be on the Power list next season.

I am also on the same page as those who believe Arch has far more upside than Aaron Young, if one of them survives the cut it has to be Arch. :thumbsu:

I am intrigued by your "upside" idea, and want to send a letter to the editor of your newsletter ;)

Some times you want to see a higher average rather than continue to hope for a higher upside. Every list needs a bit of both. eg Sam Gray vs these two.

At the moment I reckon Young has a higher average but lower upside than Arch at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy could be full of s**t but Karlos is still yet to re-sign...

He seems to like the club and is first 22. With some other players retiring or leaving I would imagine there is an appropriate amount of cash floating around to secure him. But if he wants to walk to the Saints, who are in need of some classy kicks so I can understand the interest, then a second rounder should get it done.

Last edited:
Yeah we definitely still need an outside player, I just dont rate Karl. He shirked too many contests last week for my liking and that was it for me, I'm completely off him now.

Look if it's not Saint Kilda it's someone else. Every unsigned player (or their manager if they have one) will be making/fielding calls now.
I briefly sat next to a recently re-signed player's family at a Victorian game this year. The family were talking about how if we didn't sign soon (i.e. soon after that game) talks would cease and he'd be going to club X. I'm deliberately being vague about who/when/where but it was interesting seeing this process from the inside, albeit only because I accidentally found myself there.
Could I have put my fingers in my ears and loudly gone "LAH, LAH, LAH" when I realise what their conversation was about? Yes I could have, but the Powerstufffs have their dignity.

So if we keep Pittard and Trengove, does that mean we are throwing in the towel for this draft?

We won't have a pick until 30 ish in a shallow draft.

Our trade capital seems to be Young, Ah Chee, Lobbe and Amon. Even if we throw in Broadbent, Neade, Impey and a defender - Hombsch/Austin, I can't see any of these lads netting us more than a second rounder.

And we will lose Monfries, White, Toumpas and Krakeour at the very least. Whilst they haven't been influential this year, I'm not sure the roles and impact that White or Monfries had have been adequately replaced. Krak and Toump are outside depth.

So how do we correct our lack of class and pace, let alone our list's mental issues, when we are removing all of our outside depth and don't have a pick until in the 30s? Will retaining Pittard and Trengove bite us? What does our list management to date suggest about our coaches/list managers understanding of the playing group?

Last edited:
So if we keep Pittard and Trengove, does that mean we are throwing in the towel for this draft?

We won't have a pick until 30 ish in a shallow draft.

Our trade capital seems to be Young, Ah Chee, Lobbe and Amon. Even if we throw in Broadbent, Neade, Impey and a defender - Hombsch/Austin, I can't see any of these lads netting us more than a second rounder.

And we will lose Monfries, White, Toumpas and Krakeour at the very least. Whilst they haven't been influential this year, I'm not sure the roles and impact that White or Monfries had have been adequately replaced. Krak and Toump are outside depth.

So how do we correct our lack of class and pace, let alone our list's mental issues, when we are removing all of our outside depth and don't have a pick until in the 30s? Will retaining Pittard and Trengove bite us? What does our list management to date suggest about our coaches/list managers understanding of the playing group?

We made that decision already last season. This draft is shallow. We'll be back in the draft game end of 2018.

Any list changes will be trades or FA.

He was a Saints supporter as a kid.

I just got a #15 guernsey last week so no doubt he'll leave.

We are 8-4 in games that Karl has played this year.

We are 6-0 in games where he has picked up 20+ disposals. I would be literally heartbroken if he left

We are 6-0 in games where he has picked up 20+ disposals. I would be literally heartbroken if he left

i think that's a far too simplistic way of looking at things. The game for the most part is won at the coal face, where our inside mids are able to take control and get distribution to our outside players to get the ball forward. When our inside guys are winning it, guys like Amon have a much easier time because they're getting more looks at the footy. One could say the same about Polec, though he imo is a unique case given he has an undoubted ability to win his own ball when necessary.

Amon is a 'nice' player, but I'd argue he's too nice. Shirks way too many contests for my liking, gets very hesitant at times when going in on 1v1 battles for the footy. Wouldn't be hard at all to upgrade from him.

All that says to me, is when we lose he under performs and he only performs as expected when we win. So he is 100% reliant on the teams performance and is not a contributor to the result.

A good stat would've been we are 0-6 in games where he has had 20 touches. That would've shown he tries to lift the team and performs regardless of the team, but 6-0 just says downhill skiier.

Anyway I wont continue cause I'm completely off the Amon bandwagon. I'll just say for mine he is a stop gap player until we find an AFL quality outside player to fill his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back