List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Eddy and i'd prefer we play him. But we aren't. If he doesnt play again for the rest of the year then I can't see any reason to keep him.

RussellEbertHandball is always banging on about having a few depth ruckmen. Do we not by the same token need depth tall forwards? Howard and Trengove both play better in other positions and Marshall is nowhere near ready.

Eddy is the only mature age genuine KPF on our list outside of the historically very injury prone Charlie Dixon. He's costing us nothing more than a rookie list spot on a rookie list wage. No reason whatsoever not to renew him even if he doesn't play another AFL game all year.

RussellEbertHandball is always banging on about having a few depth ruckmen. Do we not by the same token need depth tall forwards? Howard and Trengove both play better in other positions and Marshall is nowhere near ready.

Eddy is the only mature age genuine KPF on our list outside of the historically very injury prone Charlie Dixon. He's costing us nothing more than a rookie list spot on a rookie list wage. No reason whatsoever not to renew him even if he doesn't play another AFL game all year.
I want KPF and KPD depth as much as ruck depth. I reckon in a squad of 47 ie use the rookie B category in full and have 5 genuine KPD''s ie 194+cms, same with KPF's and 5 or 6 rucks especially if we have 2 category B monsters from basketball, volleyball USA etc. And we should have a nice spread of each in each 3 year age bracket ie 18-20, 21-23, 34-26, 27-29 and 30+ and if we don't have 1 in a particular age bracket we don't have 2 consecutive zeros in the age brackets.

Last edited:
Had big hopes for Snelling but he seems to have gone backwards. Same with Bonner.

Where is this idea that bonner has gone backwards come from?

He is still super young. Very happy to have him developing at the magpies. no one expected him to be ready early when he was drafted and they shouldn't now.

Handful of obvious choices and then some tough calls. Most clubs make between 5-8 changes a year. There is a thought that this draft maybe doesn't have the top end strength and is perhaps more even overall and lacks some depth. The free agent pool has some interesting options but I can't see us nabbing a Fyfe/Martin/etc. We have some salary cap issues but the new agreement may change this. We lack KPP and ruck depth, but then do many clubs have multiple ready to go KPPs/rucks? Another classy ball user and a small forward would be handy.

So for me:
Delist: White, Hewett, Toumpas, Ah Chee, Krak
Tough calls: Young, Snelling, Eddy, Monfries
Challenges: Lobbe and Neade

I don't think we can have both Westhoff and Trengove in the same side. We need a genuine FF and neither of them are capable of playing that role but having both of them in the forward line is stopping us from developing a FF.

i'd be trying to trade Westhoff at the end of the year and go really hard for Josh Bruce/Tim Membrey.

I totally agree, but i think we just keep westhoff for depth and also think he has a role to play. Trengrove i want to keep but if an offer came in or we got good compensation from F/A then I would consider, I feel we need a second forward like a bruce/membrey.

Where is this idea that bonner has gone backwards come from?

He is still super young. Very happy to have him developing at the magpies. no one expected him to be ready early when he was drafted and they shouldn't now.

What are you talking about. Bonner was drafted in 2015, has already turned 20 and as a pick 37 has had a full year to develop in the SANFUL. He hasnt won the Rising Star Award, doesnt get mentioned by football pundits interstate so is a complete flop. Delist him, he has obviously gone backwards. We need to pick up new players like Wingard, Wines and Powell-Pepper. Get rid of the rest.

:rolleyes:

Mid season thoughts.

Delist:
Lobbe: Pay out his contract.
Toumpas & Sam Gray: Plodders.
White, Monfries & Krakouer: Minor injuries have f'd all 3 of them.
Snelling: Hasn't developed as quickly as I'd liked.

Neade, Hewett & Irra doing their best to earn another year. Neade is already contracted so he'll play next year unless we trade him.

Mid season thoughts.

Delist:

Neade, Hewett & Irra doing their best to earn another year. Neade is already contracted so he'll play next year unless we trade him.

Keep Lobbe in case we have a couple of ruckman out injured. But only until his contract ends or someone offers to take over his contract.

Agree with Toumpas, White, Monfries & Krak.

Sam Gray 50/50 at this stage.

Mid season thoughts.

Delist:

Unfortunately the recruitment of SPP, Atley and Drew has put question marks over snellings future.. All performing better then him and Snelling is 174 cm..

Would want to finish the year strongly

We can talk about fringe players as much as we like, but keeping, or delisting them, won't change the dynamics of the list much, if at all.

Pittard is the player we could get something for while he still has currency, he has often looked less than half interested this season, he is not switched on at all.
I believe he should be dropped this week, but we know Kern won't have the stones to do that because he will be concerned that he will spit the dummy, but if he walks at the end of the season the worst compo we would get should be an early 2nd round pick, and a late first rounder would have to be a possibility.

It won't surprise me though if the club jumps at shadows, and Jasper is signed to a multi year contract and becomes a Hartlett Mk 2. :rolleyes:

Handful of obvious choices and then some tough calls. Most clubs make between 5-8 changes a year. There is a thought that this draft maybe doesn't have the top end strength and is perhaps more even overall and lacks some depth. The free agent pool has some interesting options but I can't see us nabbing a Fyfe/Martin/etc. We have some salary cap issues but the new agreement may change this. We lack KPP and ruck depth, but then do many clubs have multiple ready to go KPPs/rucks? Another classy ball user and a small forward would be handy.

So for me:
Delist: White, Hewett, Toumpas, Ah Chee, Krak
Tough calls: Young, Snelling, Eddy, Monfries
Challenges: Lobbe and Neade
Would NOT delist Hewett...is developing nicely in the midfield and if he continues at this rate he deserves being upgraded...this year. He stays!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage this is where i'm sitting

Delist
Monfries (baring coming back and playing a role in the AFL finals) - sadly i think he is done
Toumpas - Not an AFL standard player
Krak (baring him coming back and playing a role in the AFL finals) - Not even the first in as our HBF or small forward depth
Hewett (rookie listed player)

Trade/1 year deal (brackets is what I'd take)
Young (Pick 35 or higher)
White (Can't see us trading him but would do to a club that will give him more time)
Jesse Palmer (top 50 pick)

1 Year deal
Frampton
Eddy (rookie)
Johnson

Promote
Houston

I am really lost on Ah Chee, think the is in the trade/1 year deal with a top 40 pick being the benchmark

Also if anyone offers us a half eaten bag of chips for Lobbe we jump at it, I'd even consider paying 40% of his contract next year then 20% the next or something similar

Delist who very obviously won't make it but I don't think delisting for the sake of delisting is the right move. The power of depth is pretty critical to an AFL season, the problem is that we haven't been using it correctly and have blindly and arrogantly set a guaranteed 22.

I think we should absolutely spend money to payout Lobbe's contract. Would be in the best interest for the club and for Lobbe especially when he does not contribute for the SANFL side anymore and if anything would hold back Frampton's development as #1 ruck.

The CBA delay has been a bit of serendipity. I reckon we would have resigned some guys by now who are marginal and probably should be cut. There are very few marginal guys who have performed in such a way the last 6 weeks or so who have demanded we resign them.

No CBA signed before say round 18 or 20 could well mean 3 or 4 guys who might have been resigned now won't be.

Last edited:
We have three or four players who should go but won't for various reasons. I am not sure how much the likes of White, Boak, Westhoff, Lobbe, Krakouer and Monfries have left in the tank. None of them is playing must keep footy atm but with the exception of White they will probably still be on the list next year. Young guys like Frampton, Attley, Palmer, Howard and Marshall are probably not going to get a look at AFL footy with all these guys on on the list. Our list is starting to get a 'downward from here' look about it.

Would NOT delist Hewett...is developing nicely in the midfield and if he continues at this rate he deserves being upgraded...this year. He stays!
Agree, Hewitt is only 20 and is developing well. I don't think there is much difference between him and Atley/Drew in terms of AFL qualities... Too big a call?

I think our delistings will depend entirely on what happens in free agency and where our final draft order sits, without a first rounder - we won't cut too deeply.

I think our delistings will depend entirely on what happens in free agency and where our final draft order sits, without a first rounder - we won't cut too deeply.

We're in a unique position where almost all our rookies could be promoted/retained which means we might cut a little deeper into our senior list than first thought.

Trade
Boak, Hartlett, robbie Gray, Lobbe

Boak- liability adds nothing
Harlett liability adds nothing
Lobbe borderline SANFL player, might get a game at Box Hill
Robbie Gray trade while he has currency
Ah Chee might get picked up

Delist

Westhoff, Sam Spray, Krak, Monfries, Toumpass
Thank you all for your efforts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back