List Management 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So according to warren partland port are talking to a "very prominate" SANFL player to take over Summos job. I asked if it was Kirkwood he said no, but said if you connect the dots you will find the answer. Trying to think of former magpie or power players at other clubs or just a big name SANFL player. Thoughts?

I'll try to update what happens with the Maggies list in this post & thread.

Re-signed:
Sam Davidson - Forward Flanker who played 15 games.
Jack Strange - Small defender who played 13 games in 2018.
Simon Wong - Played 9 games in 2018 in the back pocket.
Mitchell Mead - Son of Darren Mead, Back Flanker who played 7 games.

New:
Matthew Appleton - Midfielder recruited from North Adelaide, played 15 games last season.
Jack Elsworthy - Defender recruited from WWT Eagles.
Tom Corcoran - The KPD returns to the club after spending time at Glenelg.
Dallas Hill - Was supposed to play last year but didn't. Tall forward, formerly from Centrals.
Ben Edwards - Played 1 Academy game for us in 2018. KPF originally from Glenelg.
Adam Mahney - Returns to the club after spending a year at Rosewater.
Lachlan Smith - Recruited from WWT Eagles.
Charlie Morrison - From Henley Sharks.

Gone:
Steven Summerton - Retired from SANFL football, Will play for Angaston in the Barossa League.
Jack Kluske - Signs with Glenelg.
Michael Ortiz - Signs with Centrals.
Darcy Ginever - Signs with North Adelaide.
Kyle Crompton - Signs with Norwood.
Harry Morgan - Signs with WWT Eagles.
Ryan North - Now playing for Pembroke.
Lewin Davis - Signs with North Melbourne VFL.
Levi Proude - Now playing for Barmera-Monash in the Riverland League.
Dale Finnie - Now playing for Portland.
Cam Sutcliffe - Drafted onto our AFL list.
Mony Makoi - Signs with South Adelaide.

Last edited:
Kirkwood or Hoskin would be great. Or even Kane Mitchell or Lindsay Thomas.

Got told currently plays SANFL so that rules out Mitchell, I'd like Thomas as a short term captain then hand it to Levi Proude in 2 years. Hosko is a possibility.

So according to warren partland port are talking to a "very prominate" SANFL player to take over Summos job. I asked if it was Kirkwood he said no, but said if you connect the dots you will find the answer. Trying to think of former magpie or power players at other clubs or just a big name SANFL player. Thoughts?

This is code for 'I don't know'.

Kirkwood or Hoskin would be great. Or even Kane Mitchell or Lindsay Thomas.

Last edited:
I'll try to update what happens with the 15 Maggies spots in this post & thread.

Unsigned:
Jack Kluske - Medium sized forward and midfielder who played all 18 games this season, kicking 10 goals.
Sam Davidson - Forward Flanker who played 15 games.
Mitchell Mead - Son of Darren Mead, Back Flanker who played 15 games.
Jack Strange - Small defender who played 13 games in 2018.
Levi Proude - One of our best SANFL listed players, Terrific midfielder who played 12 games.
Simon Wong - Played 9 games in 2018 in the back pocket.
Darcy Ginever - Son of Timmy G, Back Flanker who played 7 games.
Dale Finnie - Medium sized backman who played 5 games.
Harrison Morgan - Medium sized forward who played 5 games.
Michael Ortiz - Outside mid and small forward who played 3 games.
Kyle Crompton - Midfielder who played 4 games.
Mony Makoi - Ruckman who played 2 games.
Lewin Davis - Played 1 game in 2018 on the wing.
Ryan North - Didn't play any SANFL games in 2018 and spent the year in the Academy.

Gone:
Steven Summerton - Retired from SANFL football, Will probably go play country footy.

15 SANFL listed spots left.

Mead played 7 games.

This is how I would go.

KEEP
Kluske
Davidson
Mead
Strange
Proude (future captain in a year or so)
Ginever
Finnie
Morgan
Ortiz
Makoi (on today's game alone)

GO
Wong
Crompton
Davis
North

Just saw Ben Edwards post a photo of him and Summo saying this year has been a blast. So maybe in his lone game for the reserves he got hurt and got ruled out for the rest of the year?

Just saw Ben Edwards post a photo of him and Summo saying this year has been a blast. So maybe in his lone game for the reserves he got hurt and got ruled out for the rest of the year?
hmmm. If true then we had 16 players signed instead of 15. Unless Davis left after his 1 game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a friend from gold coast who follows footy there he played with crows knows Sam Davidson says he coached him junior footy...played seniors @15 in the QAFL was in NEAFL suns team and always played on wing ;played every game last year for allies and says he is a natural wingman!! Reckons suns let one slip there.....old rat can't work this out with this kid ...ie how did suns let him go..b...how did he end up at port ..I really hope he stays just seems to have something

Is in the leadership group at Glenelg this season, his first year with them;
28 years old; North Adelaide's Club Champion 2015; played 5 games for the Power 2008-2011.
Works for Port Community Limited as an Aboriginal Programs Coordinator.

I have heard Paul Stewart? How many of the SANFL only players do we retain for 2019?

Paul Stewart is 30 years old - same age as Summo.....
At this stage 2019 is the Great Unknown - will we have a SANFL Reserves team?
Will any of the 2018 top-up players return?
etc etc

Is in the leadership group at Glenelg this season, his first year with them;
28 years old; North Adelaide's Club Champion 2015; played 5 games for the Power 2008-2011.
Works for Port Community Limited as an Aboriginal Programs Coordinator.

Also he tried to join the Magpies in their inaugural year as the reserves for the Power, but was prevented from doing so by the rules. I think different rules apply to the captain position though.

Also he tried to join the Magpies in their inaugural year as the reserves for the Power, but was prevented from doing so by the rules. I think different rules apply to the captain position though.
Sorry to intrude. From what I was told from the AFC and SANFl last year was that the captain/leadership player must be someone straight off the list. Hence why crows have a whole heap of players rotate it. You can have a top up like we did with Carey a few years ago but the rules back then meant we had to play all afl listed players first even though he was captain. Even in the finals he couldn't play as we had enough AFL listed players available.

Sorry to intrude. From what I was told from the AFC and SANFl last year was that the captain/leadership player must be someone straight off the list. Hence why crows have a whole heap of players rotate it. You can have a top up like we did with Carey a few years ago but the rules back then meant we had to play all afl listed players first even though he was captain. Even in the finals he couldn't play as we had enough AFL listed players available.
A rotating power listed captain is probably not an option for us. We are talking to the SANFL about relaxing recruiting restrictions on when we need a captain.

We need our SANFL captain to be an experienced leader on the SANFL list and for them to wear No.1. The 14 other SANFL players can be 18-23 year old depth players that are on 1 year deals, no worries about that apart from the fact they keep getting raided by other SANFL clubs because we can only pay them a max $400 a game even when a majority are best 21 players that are playing every week.

Also the Academy (Magpies reserves) players only get paid $100 a game and are dead last and winless getting beaten by 60-170 points each match. So I'd be hoping the SANFL would improve the pay and recruiting restrictions there so maybe they could be competitive enough to get within 10 goals of someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back