List Management 2018: Make room for the super draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with the exiting of leadership recently and his 2018 form, Burgers will (should) stay on for another year.

We do have far too many list cloggers playing at BHH.
Silk said that based on his current form and fitness he could go on for another 1-2 seasons

I think we have four spots we need to fix to get seriously back in top four form.

A proper key defender, a proper key forward, another key centre square mid and another outside mid.

Take the Giants as an example, you put in Phil Davis, Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly and Jez Cameron, and out team looks very competitive.

That would give us:

FF: Bruest - Cameron - Rioli
HF: Gunston - Roughead - Impey
Ce: Kelly - O'Meara - Smith
HB: Stratts - Frawley - Sicily
FB: Hardwick - Davis - Burton

Ru: McEvoy
RR: Shiel
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Birchall, Cegs, Burgers, Shiels, Poppy, Hendo, Howe, Morrison, Worps, Cuz, Lewis...

Ohhhh if only.

Facts are our spine is poor, we lack depth in key positions in both defence and attack and lack another A-Grade inside beast to help Titch.

Mitch Wallis is an interesting one, he could provide more depth and can win inside footy and could come for very cheap. Add Tom Lynch and Mitch Wallis or in a fantasy land Ollie Wines and we are top 4-6.

Would love for us to draft Collier-Dawkins, 193cm and 89kg mid.. big inside mid, looks to be going around that 8-10 mark which could be us. Fits our needs brilliantly.

Ohhhh if only.

Facts are our spine is poor, we lack depth in key positions in both defence and attack and lack another A-Grade inside beast to help Titch.

Mitch Wallis is an interesting one, he could provide more depth and can win inside footy and could come for very cheap. Add Tom Lynch and Mitch Wallis or in a fantasy land Ollie Wines and we are top 4-6.

Would love for us to draft Collier-Dawkins, 193cm and 89kg mid.. big inside mid, looks to be going around that 8-10 mark which could be us. Fits our needs brilliantly.

Collier-Dawkins is the one, isn't he! Would be ideal and is a 50/50 chance to be available at our pick. Having said that, I've learnt that my favourite kid to draft rarely equates to what hawthorn actually draft so I won't get too attached to anyone...

...except that I'm already attached to Collier-Dawkins.

Cyril wouldn't bother me overly, on 700k a year and rarely plays these days.
I would have never ever though cyril was on that much.

I doubt Burgers will retire hope to see the legend go round again. List changes will be very interesting because we clearly have a few that will be going but i dont think we will be turning over 25% plus of our list carlton style.

I would have never ever though cyril was on that much.

I doubt Burgers will retire hope to see the legend go round again. List changes will be very interesting because we clearly have a few that will be going but i dont think we will be turning over 25% plus of our list carlton style.

Agree. It will be a Cartlon cull. Which means Silk will play on. He's still in our top 10 on form at present.

Agree. It will be a Cartlon cull. Which means Silk will play on. He's still in our top 10 on form at present.
While I agree that the good Silk is still a top ten player, I fear to say this but anyway there has been a fair amount of mayo on here surrounding his impact this year. He was great last game and was far and away his best game for the year and I'm sure he built himself up for a big one being for indigenous round and I'm even more sure of him having another big game in front of a large number of family and friends next week for his 350th, but as for impact / Mr fix it I'm not sold Silk hasn't been as effective and nor should he be in the break glass send him to the middle 3rd and 4th quarter role as he ounce was Vs Brisbane Vs $ydney he got Ronked with two or three goals kicked on him.
Going forward I'll continue to celebrate the guy but not expect the same level of reliability or output, if he was to continue next season it would be more for guidance of a younger squad,because if we are going to be dependent on a 36 year old week in week out to get us over the line, even if that person is the great Silk then we are heading the wrong way.

Last edited:
Ohhhh if only.

Will go later than 8-10. He'll be around that 12-16 mark. Absolutely love the prospect and think he will be Cripps 2.0. If B. Smith isn't available he's a very close second and exactly what we need. Could see us pulling a Carlton and pulling the trigger on him early (Cripps was expected to go in the 20s).

Zac Foot another exciting prospect. Reminds me of Smithy and should be available around the pick 30 mark. Outside runner with pace, just inconsistent which sees him drop. Joe Ayton-Delaney a tall defender available around there too, late developer but fantastic 1 on 1 and good overhead mark.

Will go later than 8-10. He'll be around that 12-16 mark. Absolutely love the prospect and think he will be Cripps 2.0. If B. Smith isn't available he's a very close second and exactly what we need. Could see us pulling a Carlton and pulling the trigger on him early (Cripps was expected to go in the 20s).

Zac Foot another exciting prospect. Reminds me of Smithy and should be available around the pick 30 mark. Outside runner with pace, just inconsistent which sees him drop. Joe Ayton-Delaney a tall defender available around there too, late developer but fantastic 1 on 1 and good overhead mark.

Collier-Dawkins was originally slated at go top 5 but as the season has progressed he has dropped, I think from what I can gather he has struggled to get the footy on the outside and that has hurt his stocks. Realistically at AFL level he isn't going on the outside, he is relatively pedestrian in terms of foot speed but is a clearance monster and ready to go straight away. If he's available we need to grab him, effectively erases one of our biggest issues.

While I agree that the good Silk is still a top ten player, I fear to say this but anyway there has been a fair amount of mayo on here surrounding his impact this year. He was great last game and was far and away his best game for the year and I'm sure he built himself up for a big one being for indigenous round and I'm even more sure of him having another big game in front of a large number of family and friends next week for his 350th, but as for impact / Mr fix it I'm not sold Silk hasn't been as effective and nor should he be in the break glass send him to the middle 3rd and 4th quarter role as he ounce was Vs Brisbane Vs $ydney he got Ronked with two or three goals kicked on him.
Going forward I'll continue to celebrate the guy but not expect the same level of reliability or output, if he was to continue next season it would be more for guidance of a younger squad,because if we are going to be dependent on a 36 year old week in week out to get us over the line, even if that person is the great Silk then we are heading the wrong way.

To be fair, if it’s an in form Silk v Miles for a spot, I know what they’ll do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agents
Frawley
Henderson
Schoenmakers
Whitecross
Duryea

You would think that Henderson and Frawley will both be re-signed to 1 year contract extensions at the very least.

Duryea, Whitecross and Schoenmakers are all free agents as well but there’s a chance they may not be retained.

Then there’s the uncertainty surrounding O’Rourke and Lovell who are both out of contract.

Does Conor Nash get upgraded from a category B next year to a rookie listed player?
8 rookies including cat B currently not sure what the plans with Nash are, when they extended Glass last year they gave him two years with a list upgrade as part of the second year

Free agents
Frawley
Henderson
Schoenmakers
Whitecross
Duryea

You would think that Henderson and Frawley will both be re-signed to 1 year contract extensions at the very least.

Duryea, Whitecross and Schoenmakers are all free agents as well but there’s a chance they may not be retained.

Then there’s the uncertainty surrounding O’Rourke and Lovell who are both out of contract.

Expect Schoey will be retained on a one year contract, but would thank Doc and Whitey for their time and not renew.

Whilst I very much agree with you there is zero chance Dureya leaves.

Clarko loves the prick for some reason hence why he is picked every week.
who else could play his role in the team better at the moment?

You are right probably, no one but I feel he is surplus to our needs.

Hardwick is down back and doing superbly.

I would rather us pump games into O'Rourke or Lovell or anyone else as part of the midfield rotations.
when Birch it back it will be interesting to see how the chairs are shuffled

It's time the club seriously think of Cyril's departure now and consider the hiring strategy based on that too.
We already did - it makes sense why we went after Impey last year now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back