SANFL List Management 2019-21

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it doesn't mean much as we aren't playing but ive noticed Jack Elsworthy is now playing at South
Thanks for the update, haven't been keeping up with the SANFL this year for obvious reasons.

Chris Davies is hoping Cam Sutcliffe re-joins the SANFL list. Not sure if that means he replaces Goldsack as Captain or they both play in 2021.

Cant see us keeping both of them. I think Goldsack most likely went back to Vic once the season was cancelled.

Cant see us keeping both of them. I think Goldsack most likely went back to Vic once the season was cancelled.
Was a development coach with us this year. Before he signed with us, he was going to play ammos in SA.

I saw him at Central Market a couple of times throughout the year, so I don't think so.

I saw him at Central Market a couple of times throughout the year, so I don't think so.
His wife is a local and has a career with her family business. They own the Southgate Automative group which includes Southern Volkswagen among others. I was under the impression he is here for good now

Port will be working on salary cap concessions from the sanfl if AFL list sizes are reduced.

If they can pull that off, they could keep both. Especially if they both have off-field roles with the Power.

Port will be working on salary cap concessions from the sanfl if AFL list sizes are reduced.

If they can pull that off, they could keep both. Especially if they both have off-field roles with the Power.
I reckon this will be off the table now since the SANFL salary cap has been reduced.

"THE SANFL has confirmed Port Adelaide’s participation in the competition for season 2021 along with some rule changes that will impact on how it makes up its supplementary playing list.

There are significant rule changes around the salary cap, which will reduce from $10,000 to $5,000 with players to be paid a maximum match payment of $250, down from $450 in 2019.

The nominated marquee player, or leadership player, will be permitted a maximum base payment of $15,000, down from $20,000 and a match payment of $300, down from $500.

Among the other changes are that any player who has been on an AFL list in the last two seasons will be ineligible to be on the club’s SANFL supplementary list unless they become the leadership player.

Davies explained that the rule would preclude Cam Sutcliffe and Port Adelaide junior Tim Broomhead – who has left Collingwood - from being part of the supplementary list after his AFL delisting unless they replaced Goldsack as the leadership player.

The club’s leadership player will be considered in the coming weeks along with the make-up of the rest of the supplementary list."

I’d like to see a change of focus for our top up players. If I understand the new rules, we can have anyone as a top up as long as they are only paid chips and have not been on an AFL list for the last 2 years.

Why don‘t we make it an old boys club? Two years ago we delisted Lindsay Thomas, Jake Neade and O’Shea was cut by Carlton. Get these guys back to the club. Don’t expect them to train as much but build a social atmosphere among the group. Maybe some can be enticed with some training as coaches or in media or in our community program.

Lots of amateur clubs welcome their “retired” old boys who drop a grade to have a bit of fun in their twighlight years. I’d rather have a 75% fit Lindsay Thomas in the forward pocket than some of our recent top ups. 10 years ago it could have been Tredrea or Chad Cornes and 15 years ago Wanganeen. It might also attract some higher quality top ups who want to play with past legends like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"THE SANFL has confirmed Port Adelaide’s participation in the competition for season 2021 along with some rule changes that will impact on how it makes up its supplementary playing list.

There are significant rule changes around the salary cap, which will reduce from $10,000 to $5,000 with players to be paid a maximum match payment of $250, down from $450 in 2019.

The nominated marquee player, or leadership player, will be permitted a maximum base payment of $15,000, down from $20,000 and a match payment of $300, down from $500.

Among the other changes are that any player who has been on an AFL list in the last two seasons will be ineligible to be on the club’s SANFL supplementary list unless they become the leadership player.

Davies explained that the rule would preclude Cam Sutcliffe and Port Adelaide junior Tim Broomhead – who has left Collingwood - from being part of the supplementary list after his AFL delisting unless they replaced Goldsack as the leadership player.

The club’s leadership player will be considered in the coming weeks along with the make-up of the rest of the supplementary list."

Basically we can't recruit anyone. You would be better off financially playing amateur league.

The SANFL geezer on SEN this morning said they would listen if we had a grievance over Tim Broomhead not being allowed to return under that ridiculous rule, I'd imagine it's just lip service and no change however.

The SANFL geezer on SEN this morning said they would listen if we had a grievance over Tim Broomhead not being allowed to return under that ridiculous rule, I'd imagine it's just lip service and no change however.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were already talking to him then.

Is sutcliffe a marquee signing? How is he able to play if he played in the afl last year?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is sutcliffe a marquee signing? How is he able to play if he played in the afl last year?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The 2 year AFL rule only applies to the rest of the SANFL list, so he’s the captain again.

On what basis?

He turns 34 next May. He'll probably just go play ammos.

He has nominated for the draft. Only a week ago Port were talking about the dilemma of playing both Sutcliffe and Goldsack at the Magpies. This might be their solution. Also allows them to keep him around as an assistant coach and avoid the soft cap.

Jake Weidemann, son of ex-Crow Wayne Weidemann, and former Redleg Luke Surman join Port
The son of a former Crows cult figure and an ex-Redleg headline Port Adelaide’s SANFL signings ahead of the 2021 season.
Former Crows player Wayne Weidemann (R) with son Jake before the 2017 AFL draft. Jake will now don the black and white prison bars after signing with Port Adelaide for the 2021 SANFL season. Photo Naomi Jellicoe

Port Adelaide has announced five new signings with Jake Weidemann – the son of former Adelaide Crows cult figure Wayne Weidemann – headlining the list.
Port has also secured the signature of ex-Norwood and Hawthorn forward Luke Surman, as well as Jake Westbrook from Woodville-West Torrens, Dylan Aldridge (North Adelaide) and Campbell Wildman (Sturt/Prince Alfred Old Collegians).

Wiedemann featured in 13 reserves games for the Eagles this year after being unable to crack into the strong senior line up, which went on to win this year’s SANFL flag. The now 21-year-old nominated for the 2017 AFL draft after representing SA at the national under-18 championships, but was not selected.

Port’s SANFL manager Shane Grimm said Wiedemann was keen to don the black and white prison bars despite his father playing 68 games for Adelaide between 1991-96. “Jake has probably played out of position a little (at the Eagles), he’s tended to have to play in a key position role a little bit,” Grimm said.
“I think he just wanted to try something different. It was a very easy sell for us, we didn’t have to push too hard and he seems very keen and the Crows side hasn’t even been mentioned, he was just keen to be involved at Port Adelaide.”

Surman, meanwhile, was on Hawthorn’s list in 2017 before he walked away from an AFL career, returned to SA and joined Norwood. The 23-year-old lined up in five league matches and six reserves games with the Redlegs this year. “Luke was a good one because we are looking for a key forward who can ruck a little bit, at SANFL level that’s probably something we need,” Grim said.

“I think he sees it as maybe another (AFL) opportunity if he can do the right thing in an elite environment around some elite players who might help his game go to the next level. With us having the ability to list players mid-season … we do like to do it and not disrupt other SANFL clubs too much, it’d be good to have somebody close by who we already know about.”

“We’ve managed to pick up a few guys with a bit of league footy experience but who are reasonably young which is good,” Grimm said. "We are really looking forward to (getting back).”

More:

Shane Grimm doing some good work there. Surman is a big unit, 196cm and 111 kg.

Will be interesting to see what Weidemann brings. Looks a good size, maybe wants to play on ball like dad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back