SANFL List Management 2019-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking a bit thin on inside mids with Atley gone. Only leaves Mayes, Drew and Sutcliffe as the experience. Good opportunity for the young lads like Mead and maybe Schofield but could get out-bodied a bit when they start to run through there. Might see Jones, Bergman, Williams and Frederick get a run in the square occasionally.

Looking a bit thin on inside mids with Atley gone. Only leaves Mayes, Drew and Sutcliffe as the experience. Good opportunity for the young lads like Mead and maybe Schofield but could get out-bodied a bit when they start to run through there. Might see Jones, Bergman, Williams and Frederick get a run in the square occasionally.
Woodcock and Appleton should be in there as well.

LUKE SURMAN grew up idolising Chad Cornes because of the “mongrel” he showed on the field, and the new Port Adelaide recruit is promising to “throw his weight around” in a similar fashion when he suits up for the club in the SANFL this season.

Surman has come across from Norwood for the 2021 campaign, after 18 games and 27 goals with the Redlegs.

The 23-year-old grew up as a die-hard Port Adelaide supporter and has enjoyed his first few weeks at Alberton. “The facilities are fantastic, the players are really welcoming and that’s massive when you come to a new club, and that has made me feel at home straight away,” Surman told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“Shane Grimm presented a proposition to me about coming to the club and the thought of using the facilities and running around with the AFL boys from time to time really appealed to me.”

Drafted in 2015 as a teenage rookie by Hawthorn, the basketball convert felt homesick and ill-equipped to deal with the rigours of AFL football and organised a release from his contract in May 2017.

With the benefit of time and maturity, the 196cm 111kg key position player is now ready to commit himself to his footy.

“When I left Hawthorn, there was an element of home sickness to it but I was 17 at the time I was drafted and hadn’t grown up playing a lot of footy and didn’t know how it all works,” he explained. “A lot of kids come through the juniors and the AFL and state set-ups so they know what it’s all about. “I wasn’t ready for it mentally or physically at the time and didn’t have the patience to see it through. “I feel like the passion and desire is there and it’s even stronger now with having to show some resolve.”

And despite making the switch from Port Adelaide’s arch-rival Norwood, Alberton has a familiar feel.

He played junior football with Pete Ladhams, state football with Riley Bonner, knows Tom Jonas and Orazio Fantasia from their time at Norwood and is also familiar with Ryan Burton from their time together with the Hawks.

And there is a family history as well.

“My uncle Michael Lipson played out here as a junior and played some reserves footy with Shane Grimm and I think they won a reserves premiership as well,” Surman explained. “It’s my Mum’s younger brother and their side of the family has always been around Alberton.”

Here is a story about Ben Edwards from October 2014 re his draft prospects as a 19 year old.

DRAFT smoky Ben Edwards may have a slight frame but he is not afraid of hard work.
When Woodville-West Torrens’ under-18s could not find a spot for him at the end of 2012, Edwards had a “mini pre-season” running sandhills at Bluff Beach on the Yorke Peninsula.

When he was low on cash the past two summers, Edwards worked 12-hour days as a grain handler, often in searing heat.

And when his hometown club, CMS Crows, needed a ruckman, he battled bigger and more experienced opponents on the way to an A-grade flag.

“I’m from a farm so I’m used to hard, manual work,” says Edwards, who is 193cm and 77kg. “If you can work hard you can hopefully get your rewards.” The reward Edwards, 19 and now at Glenelg, has been chasing for years is hearing his name called at an AFL national draft.

He has emerged as a prospect for next month’s draft after playing six under-18s and 13 reserves games for Glenelg this past season, and has impressed AFL scouts with his versatility and athleticism.

He played in multiple positions this past season and posted the best results in four major categories — standing vertical leap, running vertical leap, the 20m sprint and the 30m repeat sprints — at this month’s state draft combine.

But he began his footy journey as a midfielder in Minlaton, where his family runs a crop farm. In the summer of 2011, he shot up 15cm — from about 178cm to 193cm. The next year he won the Yorke Peninsula Football League’s under-17 Mail Medal as a CMS Crows ruckman. “I went back to school after summer and people couldn’t recognise me.”

Edwards had been making the three-hour road trip to Adelaide for two years while playing for the Eagles’ under-16s. “I was getting home at 11pm and getting up early for school the next day.” That changed when work commitments back home got in the way.

“I was trying to get money to support myself with uni,” says Edwards, who is in the second year of a human-movement degree. “The Eagles wanted me to train three times a week but with work, it wasn’t really possible.”

Glenelg talent manager Brenton Hole invited Edwards to train with the club after his impressive grand final showing for the CMS Crows. “As soon as he played his first game for us he kicked four goals,” Hole says. “We had scouts ringing up left, right and centre asking: ‘Who’s this bloke?’ “I’m not sure whether he gets picked up or not but he can catch it, he can kick it and he’s just a fantastic kid — an absolute ripper.”

This bit is good that he has a close mate in the same position as him.

And, having Sacred Heart College schoolmate Ethan Moore at Alberton with him has helped with settling in. The pair are carpooling to training and both have so far impressed the coaching group.

And helps with the depth of cricket team the boys put together.

A junior cricketer growing up, Sareen represented South Australia at under 12, under 15 and under 17 level but elected to pursue football instead. “Cricket was my main sport growing up. If I had the opportunity, I’d like to open the bat and bowling and field at cover,” he joked.“I was never very quick as a pace bowler but generally hit the right spots!”

I'm at work, saw the result. How did some of the magpie list boys go? Been hearing Sutcliffe had a shocker but my cousin said good things about Weeds, Moore and Sareen. He also said Montgomery and strange were ok. Didn't hear a thing about Corcoran though? Odd as I'd usually say he's one of the best contracted players we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm at work, saw the result. How did some of the magpie list boys go? Been hearing Sutcliffe had a shocker but my cousin said good things about Weeds, Moore and Sareen. He also said Montgomery and strange were ok. Didn't hear a thing about Corcoran though? Odd as I'd usually say he's one of the best contracted players we have.
live comments here.

Weidemann the best performing SANFL listed player IMO.

I was impressed by what Moore did in the 2nd half. Very clean. I tuned in with 7 or 8 minutes to go before 2nd quarter ended. Saw Sareen once just before half time but didn't sight him after half time. Weidemann played well but I think I missed his best stuff. Edwards only got the ball 2 or 3 times in the second half. Corcoran made a few mistakes. Think Monty kicked a goal before I tuned in, but I did see him take a good mark in the NE pocket of the ground.

I honestly can’t see what Jace Bode is going to offer you blokes, his body was cooked 2 years ago. Seems a bizarre move

I honestly can’t see what Jace Bode is going to offer you blokes, his body was cooked 2 years ago. Seems a bizarre move
Have I missed something? Jace bode?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don’t know if he was yanking my chain but ran into a ex teammate of his this arvo and he said Jace has been offered a top up player spot
He might have been offered but rejected it. Otherwise I can only think this bloke might have got him confused with Luke Surman.

He might have been offered but rejected it. Otherwise I can only think this bloke might have got him confused with Luke Surman.
Nope, official now

Payneham Norwood Union Football Club would like to notify all of our members and supporters that the club has allowed Senior Men’s Coach Jace Bode to take up an opportunity presented by the Port Adelaide Football Club to play as a top up player in the SANFL for season 2021.

‘Bodey’ remains as Senior Coach of the Men’s A Grade side and his playing role at Port Adelaide will only be on the occasions that don’t clash with PNUFC commitments. The club and Bode have been in conversation since before Christmas and accept that it’s a unique set of circumstances but one that presents a great opportunity.

“First and foremost, I’m acutely aware of my responsibilities as the Coach of the Senior Men’s team at Payneham Norwood Union and all that the role entails. I have no intention of not fulfilling those responsibilities and have made that clear to both clubs. Whilst many coaches seek professional development through attending coaching courses, this opportunity to be involved at the Port Adelaide Football Club will help me develop my coaching craft and learn from some of the best coaches and administrators in the AFL. My goal remains to be the next senior premiership coach at the Payneham Norwood Union.” - Jace Bode

Nope, official now

Payneham Norwood Union Football Club would like to notify all of our members and supporters that the club has allowed Senior Men’s Coach Jace Bode to take up an opportunity presented by the Port Adelaide Football Club to play as a top up player in the SANFL for season 2021.

‘Bodey’ remains as Senior Coach of the Men’s A Grade side and his playing role at Port Adelaide will only be on the occasions that don’t clash with PNUFC commitments. The club and Bode have been in conversation since before Christmas and accept that it’s a unique set of circumstances but one that presents a great opportunity.

“First and foremost, I’m acutely aware of my responsibilities as the Coach of the Senior Men’s team at Payneham Norwood Union and all that the role entails. I have no intention of not fulfilling those responsibilities and have made that clear to both clubs. Whilst many coaches seek professional development through attending coaching courses, this opportunity to be involved at the Port Adelaide Football Club will help me develop my coaching craft and learn from some of the best coaches and administrators in the AFL. My goal remains to be the next senior premiership coach at the Payneham Norwood Union.” - Jace Bode

Wow. Unbelievable! I think the odds of him playing are really small, but still.

I reckon the top up player choices are more about the experience and leadership they can offer to the kids than about their actual football ability. With that in mind, Bode seems a decent pick-up. He's probably there more as a cheap assistant coach than he is as a player.

Last edited:
I reckon the top up player choices are more about the experience and leadership they can offer to the kids than about their actual football ability. With that in mind, Bode seems a decent pick-up. He's probably there more as a cheap assistant coach than he is as a player.
And most PNU games are Saturday afternoons (if not all their games) so he'd only be available on the odd night game and Sundays. I also think he'd be a last resort if we lack leadership some where. But, I'll have him. I'm actually really excited about this list of contracted boys this year. I think the club has done really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back