List management - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

ivansarmy

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Can’t remember a year we have had so many players out of contract. Think it will be a really interesting year from a list management perspective and some critical decisions will need to be made to maintain our success for now but also a few years down the track. Some good players will need to take pay cuts so that we can keep our youngsters that will be heavily pursued by other clubs. I see the out of contract players in 5 different categories, meaning there is a lot of work/considerations for our list managers next year.

Must keep and will need a significant pay increase.
- Nick Vlastuin
- Shai Bolton
- Noah Balta
- Liam Baker

Must keep but probably need to take a cut.
- Dion Prestia (been very well paid the last 5 years)
- Dylan Grimes
- Shane Edwards

Wait and see how the year pans out. (Will need to take less to stay)
- Jack Riewoldt
- David Astbury
- Bachar Houli

Could probably get more $$ elsewhere but I expect to stay
- Daniel Rioli
- Jason Castagna
- Kamdyn Mcintosh
- Ivan Soldo (injury will stop him getting offers elsewhere)

Unproven at this stage
- Naish
- Martyn
- Cumberland
- Dow
- Garthwaite
- Miller
- Chol
- CCJ
- Ralphsmith
- Nguyon
- Stack

Do we just hit the draft or will we have the money to bring in some talent from elsewhere? Would love to know other people’s thoughts on how they see next year playing out. Not saying any of the above is how the club see it but it’s how I see it as a supporter.

No need for paycuts for any premiership player.Think they sacrificed enough to get/keep the likes of Dusty/Prestia & Lynch.
Think Jack & Houli will retire which should go towards rewarding the 3 B's and hopefully enough lefy over to target a FA.

It's a great spot to be in really, we can pretty much restructure our TPP for the future in 1, maybe 2 seasons. We have a great draft hand next yr & i'd like to see us take all 6 picks in the 1st 3 rds to the Draft & accelerate our next wave which should keep us up there for longer.
Trading is an option but we'll have a way to hit FA if the right player(s) want to come across & use our draft hand to bring some kids in as well.

Odds are we'll lose someone for money, its going to be hard for everyone to stay for less given we are probably on the wrong side of the premiership mountain, its not as if we are coming into multi flag success, we've probably got 1 more if any before some sort of rebuild/refresh is required.

Odds are we'll lose someone for money, its going to be hard for everyone to stay for less given we are probably on the wrong side of the premiership mountain, its not as if we are coming into multi flag success, we've probably got 1 more if any before some sort of rebuild/refresh is required.
You'd think we might lose a player but players like Kmac stayed because they wanted to stay regardless of money.

We have retirements coming which should take care of the $$$ issue. What decides how long we can stay up is how the kids coming through go. Ideally they push the older guys out of the best 22 before they retire.

The interesting ones are Castagna, McIntosh & CCj, along with Caddy I could most easily see one of them leaving either for more money, the go home factor, more opportunity or all of the above. The question is if any left what would we get for them? With the exception of CCJ probably second rounders across the board, Which frankly sit's pretty comfortably with me. With CCJ it'll be either be boom or bust Anyhow with the draft hand we already have our prospects of maintaining a competitive list looks pretty darn good to me.

Realistically 2021 is our last year of our current window for a flag with Cotchin,Houli,Riewoldt,Astbury,Grimes,Edwards
We will need a slight reset at the end of 2021 to bring into the club 4-5 younger players combined with the young players we already have.

I dont expect any of the above mentioned players to be still playing in 2023

Realistically 2021 is our last year of our current window for a flag with Cotchin,Houli,Riewoldt,Astbury,Grimes,Edwards
We will need a slight reset at the end of 2021 to bring into the club 4-5 younger players combined with the young players we already have.

We will be contending for flags well beyond the end next season while Dusty is playing.

Sorry, I now expect three flags every four years until I die.

Think your wrong with Edwards.Think he can play till he's 40.

Can’t remember a year we have had so many players out of contract. Think it will be a really interesting year from a list management perspective and some critical decisions will need to be made to maintain our success for now but also a few years down the track. Some good players will need to take pay cuts so that we can keep our youngsters that will be heavily pursued by other clubs. I see the out of contract players in 5 different categories, meaning there is a lot of work/considerations for our list managers next year.

Must keep and will need a significant pay increase.
- Nick Vlastuin
- Shai Bolton
- Noah Balta
- Liam Baker

Must keep but probably need to take a cut.
- Dion Prestia (been very well paid the last 5 years)
- Dylan Grimes
- Shane Edwards

Wait and see how the year pans out. (Will need to take less to stay)
- Jack Riewoldt
- David Astbury
- Bachar Houli

Could probably get more $$ elsewhere but I expect to stay
- Daniel Rioli
- Jason Castagna
- Kamdyn Mcintosh
- Ivan Soldo (injury will stop him getting offers elsewhere)

Unproven at this stage
- Naish
- Martyn
- Cumberland
- Dow
- Garthwaite
- Miller
- Chol
- CCJ
- Ralphsmith
- Nguyon
- Stack

Do we just hit the draft or will we have the money to bring in some talent from elsewhere? Would love to know other people’s thoughts on how they see next year playing out. Not saying any of the above is how the club see it but it’s how I see it as a supporter.
I’d say at least two of or probably more likely all 3 of astbury riewoldt Houli retire which will free up some cap space (not huge but should help with keeping the guys in that first bracket)
I might sound a bit over confident but really feel all of Prestia grimes and edwards will stay and will probably take pay cuts to stay.
If we do lose anyone I’d love us to try and package a player with a first round pick to get into the top 10 for next years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we barred from FA , look at the players that exchanged clubs this year , you have currency and cap space , world is your oyster, if saints can attract players ,anyone can

Interesting Cotchin is not mentioned on here. When i she OOC?

What we need is for the younger guys with 3ish years in the system to take the next step and we're fine.

If that happens we hit the draft hard and keep rolling.

But if a top end talent wants to come to Tigerland, and we want them for a price that's OK, then we make that deal.

Nice spot to be in

The dream scenario is that we keep playing our system and young guys grab their chance (e.g. Balta in 2020).

In 2021, I'd love to see Stack, CCJ and RCD all break into the side and hold their spot for 5-10 games. If that includes games in September, even better.

Let our champions fight for their spot until the very end of the career. If they are still good enough, they will play. As much as it would hurt at the time, can you imagine seeing JR8 dropped in July? Come August, he's going to come out roaring for one final hurrah.

The dream scenario is that we keep playing our system and young guys grab their chance (e.g. Balta in 2020).

In 2021, I'd love to see Stack, CCJ and RCD all break into the side and hold their spot for 5-10 games. If that includes games in September, even better.

Let our champions fight for their spot until the very end of the career. If they are still good enough, they will play. As much as it would hurt at the time, can you imagine seeing JR8 dropped in July? Come August, he's going to come out roaring for one final hurrah.
21 will be CCJ's year I reckon. I think he will play as soon as available. RCD should debut too. But 2~3 games most likely. He's behind Ross. Stack will be interesting. Gets another club suspension makes him unavailable till well into the season. Then has to find a spot in the team. Will Rioli jnr be played?
I think some of our champs will take Brandon Ellis-like offers of good money. Caddy might get shipped around. Since we already have Broad, who will struggle for games when Balta goes back, Astbury might get a lowball offer from us and change clubs. With our depth of Miller, Bigoa, Garth. JR and Lynch are working well together and I think JR affected by hub-life. Him settled back home will help his footy. Houli would need a major injury to be delisted. He would do the honourable thing and retire like Grigg I think ~ since he has the Academy to run too. Short & Baker going extremely well. Balta's fast and a booming kick too.

Last edited:
As it stands right now I have the following fighting for their futures:
Chol
Garthwaite
Miller
Naish
Stack

Possible last season:
Houli
Riewoldt

Could ask for trade:
CCJ

Not sure a 4th club takes the chance if he struggles with injury again

GC for a second rounder? Not that I want to see Cads go. But dual Premiership players/experience don't grow on trees. Especially for a young developing team plus a contract to take him to retirement (super payout?) ...Will always be a Tiger life member, Premiership Tiger....
A possibility, but I don't see it happening.....

Why is Rance still on our list.
Higgins and Markov are still on the list as well. I'd expect when they come back after the Xmas break that the website will get updated

Higgins and Markov are still on the list as well. I'd expect when they come back after the Xmas break that the website will get updated

Yeah true I understand that but the Rance thing happened over 12 months ago... I thought there could’ve been a settlement clause in his contract about it. Also, on his Instagram bio, he’s still has #18 RichmondFC written in it.

I reckon everyone is having a hard time letting go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back