List management - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If we keep winning most will stay. Look at the multiple premiership-winning teams of the past 20 years, the only players who leave are those not able to get a game. Our over 30s are only just over 30. I think we will be ok for a few more years and we might find a few more diamonds in the rough along the way.

If we keep winning most will stay. Look at the multiple premiership-winning teams of the past 20 years, the only players who leave are those not able to get a game. Our over 30s are only just over 30. I think we will be ok for a few more years and we might find a few more diamonds in the rough along the way.

We're in a good spot for at least 2 more years I'd say. But you can never tell, especially with over 30s.

But if our good kids step up to their potential then we'll actually strengthen our midfield. What we will need in another KPF, and perhaps KPD. Add one high grade KPF and keep Balta as a KPD and we're set so long as Dave and JR are at least decent. And Cotchs main role for here on in is likely leadership and inspiration. If RCD and Ross step into the AFL they'll cover his football role, but not his dominance as a leader ( and no one covers for his hair).

I'd expect we go hard to the draft and try to get a good FA to keep our window open.

'not able to get a game' can mean getting shunted to a Melbourne to make way for OMaera & Tom Mitchell, or WA for Sam Mitchell, Or Brisbane for Hodge. (later Burchall) (later Smith) all dumped from Hawthorn. And played for multiple years elsewhere. First 3 were older. Houli has his Adademy work Astbury might go elsewhere when we lowball him next year. JR will play on & Cotch won't go anywhere else. What Clarkson traded was OK on paper but Mitchell & OMaera are injury affected. Made finals in 2018 but...

We're in a good spot for at least 2 more years I'd say. But you can never tell, especially with over 30s.

But if our good kids step up to their potential then we'll actually strengthen our midfield. What we will need in another KPF, and perhaps KPD. Add one high grade KPF and keep Balta as a KPD and we're set so long as Dave and JR are at least decent. And Cotchs main role for here on in is likely leadership and inspiration. If RCD and Ross step into the AFL they'll cover his football role, but not his dominance as a leader ( and no one covers for his hair).

I'd expect we go hard to the draft and try to get a good FA to keep our window open.
This is what i think we'll do & certainly hope we do. 6 picks in the 1st 3 rds gives us so many options. We can fill some needs as well as get best available with those picks. Given the OOC list we have we can structure our cap to allow us to land the Doozy with the FA recruitment.

'not able to get a game' can mean getting shunted to a Melbourne to make way for OMaera & Tom Mitchell, or WA for Sam Mitchell, Or Brisbane for Hodge. (later Burchall) (later Smith) all dumped from Hawthorn. And played for multiple years elsewhere. First 3 were older. Houli has his Adademy work Astbury might go elsewhere when we lowball him next year. JR will play on & Cotch won't go anywhere else. What Clarkson traded was OK on paper but Mitchell & OMaera are injury affected. Made finals in 2018 but...
they played 2 top 8 sides in the last 10 weeks then got found out in the Finals, hence the str8 sets exit. FWIW at the start of that 10 game run they were outside the 8

21 will be CCJ's year I reckon. I think he will play as soon as available. RCD should debut too. But 2~3 games most likely. He's behind Ross. Stack will be interesting. Gets another club suspension makes him unavailable till well into the season. Then has to find a spot in the team. Will Rioli jnr be played?
I think some of our champs will take Brandon Ellis-like offers of good money. Caddy might get shipped around. Since we already have Broad, who will struggle for games when Balta goes back, Astbury might get a lowball offer from us and change clubs. With our depth of Miller, Bigoa, Garth. JR and Lynch are working well together and I think JR affected by hub-life. Him settled back home will help his footy. Houli would need a major injury to be delisted. He would do the honourable thing and retire like Grigg I think ~ since he has the Academy to run too. Short & Baker going extremely well. Balta's fast and a booming kick too.

Some people were worried the tigers went too Tall with ccj available soon. Ryan. Culina.

The additions Mansell and DES coming back should add some dash.

Looks generally fairly well rounded now it's finished.

Potentially a MSdraft pick if Soldo is placed on the injury list? That said dimmas more recent comments make that unlikely

Last edited:
This is what i think we'll do & certainly hope we do. 6 picks in the 1st 3 rds gives us so many options. We can fill some needs as well as get best available with those picks. Given the OOC list we have we can structure our cap to allow us to land the Doozy with the FA recruitment.
If we recruit 6 new players from this year's draft, how many do we have to delist or move on from the current list?

Can’t remember a year we have had so many players out of contract. Think it will be a really interesting year from a list management perspective and some critical decisions will need to be made to maintain our success for now but also a few years down the track. Some good players will need to take pay cuts so that we can keep our youngsters that will be heavily pursued by other clubs. I see the out of contract players in 5 different categories, meaning there is a lot of work/considerations for our list managers next year.

Must keep and will need a significant pay increase.
- Nick Vlastuin
- Shai Bolton
- Noah Balta
- Liam Baker

Must keep but probably need to take a cut.
- Dion Prestia (been very well paid the last 5 years)
- Dylan Grimes
- Shane Edwards

Wait and see how the year pans out. (Will need to take less to stay)
- Jack Riewoldt
- David Astbury
- Bachar Houli

Could probably get more $$ elsewhere but I expect to stay
- Daniel Rioli
- Jason Castagna
- Kamdyn Mcintosh
- Ivan Soldo (injury will stop him getting offers elsewhere)

Unproven at this stage
- Naish
- Martyn
- Cumberland
- Dow
- Garthwaite
- Miller
- Chol
- CCJ
- Ralphsmith
- Nguyon
- Stack

Do we just hit the draft or will we have the money to bring in some talent from elsewhere? Would love to know other people’s thoughts on how they see next year playing out. Not saying any of the above is how the club see it but it’s how I see it as a supporter.

I would assume Bolton signs a short term deal cause he is so young. Backing himself to be awarded with a bumper deal next time around.

Personally I'd love Shai to get a long term deal instead.

I would assume Bolton signs a short term deal cause he is so young. Backing himself to be awarded with a bumper deal next time around.

Yep recon he signs through to free agency then if he keeps improving the way he is he’ll get a huge pay day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to be going longer term deals for less $$$, hoping he's in that group also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back