List Mgmt. List management 2022-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought it would be interesting to hear what others think on who should stay and go on our current playing list end of season.
How many list spots do we need max.

Motlop retired
Amon free agent most likely gone already

I think

Gray should retire
Trade DBJ, Dixon, lycett, Jonas
Delist Mayes, Skinner, Mcentee and frederick

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately we've given up our second, not realising it would be in the low 20s. What did we get for that again?

I don't know the current contract positions (perhaps someone who does could post them?) but we're at a bit of a crossroads. We have a lot of identified needs, and not much to meet them with.

We do need a refresh. I agree with most of the OP, except I'm in two minds about Charlie.

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
When you make that many changes to the list in one off season you leave yourself with alot of work to do in about a month (give or take)

I suspect we’d be taking guys off our list who are starting 22 and replacing them with 4th or 5th round draft selections.

Cam1870

All Australian
May 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rozee, Butters, Bergmann, Marshall, Alir, Durszma, Burgoyne, Geordiades, Jones, Wines, SPP, Burton, Houston. All stay no question. And Hayes. Fingers crossed Pasini is good.
Dixon, Boak, Finlayson also stay (don't get this vibe Dixon should be tradeable, Boaky has at least another year in him). Farrell is too good a kick to not keep trying with but unless we can get it into his hands a dozen times a game or more, it's useless
Everyone else tradeable / deslistable.

Potential value in DBJ, Amon...? Probably peanuts for everyone else including our captain.

No list rebuilding will mean anything with Donuts and Chadbro still behind the scenes.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Digging ourselves out of this hole is going to take a few years of careful drafting and selective targetting of key positional player needs.
Cutting deeply isnt going to help , and in reality our draft hand isnt that great.
Probably therefore looking to turnover 4 to 5 players max. picks 7, Amon Compo in 20s, 51, 56,79
If desperate we can start playing next years 1st and 2nd hand, but that may just be compounding the problems.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
well if a kpd is a needed and it is then im open to putting charlie down there, his forward stuff has been pretty non existant the past 2 years, its worth consideration and thought. If you believe in Marshall and MG then its time to start believeing in them, the main problem with this is there are too many people down at the club that think Jonas gets some sort of gold pass when he should have been dropped a long time ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
The core of our side is really good.

Rozee Marshall butters georgiades wines boak findlayson Farrell duursma (in form) aliir spp Bergman Burgoyne burton drew Houston clurey dixon dumont

teakle sinn visentini mead and Jackson deserve a preseason

They are the must keeps, to build around

Amon will be gone, trade Sam hayes, Dbj, bonner and lord for his own sake (I’d keep him but not as a defender)

Get dunkley in

Delist Mayes Fredrick Schofield

Get a key defender from somewhere… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Completely gut the coaching department.

Hot Port

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our list is absolutely overrated. We are far from winning a premiership, not even close. You are daydreaming if you think we are.
We need to rebuild. Go to the draft!

Btw our list management team are sh!t… Stengle, Ash Johnson, Jai Newcombe, all from SA and free! Who do we got? Sutcliff, McEntee, Skinner, and not sure if Teakle can make it who basically got a contract based on one good quarter. Wtf are they doing??

Gryllis

All Australian
Feb 12, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depends a lot on the coach. If Ken stays the players will know it'll be another wasted season. Wouldn't surprise me if a few younger players requested to be traded, which then means we have to keep some of the delistables.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Finlayson is a very good forward, but I believe he has been the missing piece down back. We have our tall forwards, and Finlayson …..

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we need 4 good players to be a flag threat next year - key back, small forward, ruck, another mid.

I don’t think we can draft that, so I think we are best off going down the ladder for a couple of years, and building around the age group under 25.

So, I’d actually be open to trading Wines, Houston, Dixon, getting the Amon compo, and hitting the draft (or going after JHF and/or Pickett). I’d only be interested in getting first rounders or improving the picks.

There are others I’d happily trade but only if it helps getting higher first round picks. Lycett, DBJ, etc

I’d be fine in recruiting cheap old players like Geelong to fill gaps and to help development, or free agents. Maybe some ex premiership players, with a coaching role, to put some actual winners on the field. Our leaders aren’t winners Boak/Gray/Dixon/Jonas, etc

Addy23

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My opinion is that with a new coach, we'll realistically be at least 2-3 years away from a genuine flag tilt. By that time, you'll have Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Georgiades, Mead, Farrell, Houston, Burgoyne, SPP, Marshall, Burton, Jones and hopefully Sinn with a very healthy amount of games under their belt and getting into the 24-28 age bracket.

I think Gray plays for 1 more year and Boak for 2. Dixon sees out his contract and then evaluate his impact and importance in the side under a new coach.

In terms of Outs other than Amon, I think DBJ and Bonner are the ones I'll be trying to trade. DBJ is actually rated by people outside the club so I wouldn't be surprised if we got a second rounder. Bonner likely a third rounder. Hayes is the other one that's interesting. I like him as a traditional ruckman and am willing to give him one more preseason to work on his around the ground work. A new coach might see it that way too. Could be worth a potential second rounder because for me there's still upside to him.

Delist Mayes, Frederick, McEntee and Skinner

We need a Key Defender and my first two targets who are gettable are Brennan Cox and Griffin Logue. Zaine Cordy is another one I'd look at with Dogs seeming to have Lachie Jones coming in.

In terms of draft, I'd like to pick Phillipou but if he's gone by our pick, I'd be interested in sliding back 5 spots or so (and getting another 2nd round pick in if possible) and grab Brayden George. Draft Lewis Hayes as a Key Defender with the Amon compo and Kostanty, Drury or Jones as a small forward too.

Most important thing of all though, see if JHF wants to come home! Might be our best chance of taking him with Crows giving up their first round in some way, shape or form for Rankine

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My changes in order of priority while also being reasonable (getting Dunkley for a second rounder isn’t going to happen).

1- Draft Busslinger and he lines up round 1 (unless Phillipou is available)
2 - Charlie is removed from the automatic best 22 and mainly plays reserves / cover injuries. We need to start making the big calls and the future forward line revolves around Marshall and Georgi, so may as well start playing that way.
3 - Thanks Robbie but your time is up and he’s not offered a new contract. Retire or move elsewhere.
4 - Boak is no longer a starting midfielder. Burgman or Sinn to take his midfield rotation as the first option. Boak will rotate through. 2023 will be his last year and he won’t be an automatic selection each week.
5 - Get any FA KPD which will allow Aliir to play as a free interceptor and not man on man. Remember that QF he was matched on Rohan and dominated? That’s how we should be playing him every week and not deep in defence one on one.
6 - Burgoyne to take DBJ position down back. DBJ out of the team.
7 - Duursma to take Amons wing and encouraged to run and run like the early days.
8 - Jones to start getting midfield time. He’s not a forward flanker and we don’t need another causal back flanker. Get him into the guts and see what he brings.

And lastly, every player that comes into the club during the off season needs to have quality disposal. We turn it over way to much and this just has to be a focus.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A real roller coaster here.

I think you need to factor in the cost of a blow of the list type move and appreciate that they rarely work. Melbourne took 10 ish years. Brisbane and Carlton not far behind and still have made finals or achieved anything. North will be similar. St Kilda have been all over the shop.

Meanwhile Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Sydney and west Coast perennially turn their lists over for success. (Eagles not this year!). They do this by keeping key players that provide the culture and that you can build around. Then they draft and trade in to plug holes.

We actually have a reasonable list but we need some rebalancing. And some of the calls need to actually look at the structure and how that affects other areas. Ie a fit and firing Dixon will allow others to play better. Same with Jonas. Likewise draftees need seniors around them to guide them and assist them on field, and off it. It’s also important to keep pushing for finals - so the older guys need to be kept around for now to assist us getting there.

I don’t think we can be a serious premiership threat next year but should make finals and can recalibrate to get there the year after.

Dunkley would be great. JHF too. There aren’t many good small forwards or KPDs out there and everyone wants them.

If we don’t get Dunkley or JHF, then I would be drafting Phillipou or Sheezel or Busslinger or Clark, whoever is there. Second pick hope we can get Hayes, Lemmey, Munkara or George. Later pick whichever of a KPD or small forward left we rate higher. Maybe try for a pick swap with Brisbane to get another second rounder.

Delist: Motlop, Mayes, McEntee and Skinner.
Trade/FA Amon.
Look at a KPP DFA or maybe Sam Sturt at Freo.

Shuffle Frederick forward.

Back a longer preseason to get some of these guys right. We don’t have the draft capital for a rebuild and it’s not necessary.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OUT IN
Hinkley Head Coach
Hinkley Lade
Bassett M Williams
Chadbro S Burgoyne
Montgomery A Richardson

OUT IN
Motlop First Round Pick
Mayes 3rd Round Pick
Amon Compo Pick
McEntee Mature aged Player
Skinner A Francis (delisted free agent)
Schofield Matt Crouch Traded for 4th Round Pick

If Bergmann wants to go home we trade for a >195cm key position back Harrison Petty or a deal that gets Brennan Cox and a pick.

Now I know what you're going to say but Matt Crouch does something that our midfield doesn't do and that is he gets 30 plus regularly and as bad as his disposal is, he would be useful and he'll be available cheap and wants to stay in Adelaide I believe.

Getting rid of coaches is the priority and there should be no big changes until Hinkley is gone.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We don't have enough mental strength across the board and lack competitors. Won't win anything of note without that.
We don’t have too many that put in a decent performance in all or most of our losses. We need mainly younger players, but I’d be happy to see us target a hard edged free agent that’s got a premiership, to set a standard on field. Sure Lycett has one, but he’s hardly hard edged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back