List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
regardless of all the other stuff, if he wants to play on and the club doesn’t want him, then we trade for the best we can get.

What would Jones be worth?

regardless of all the other stuff, if he wants to play on and the club doesn’t want him, then we trade for the best we can get.

What would Jones be worth?
Very little. Not much recent precedent for players being traded over 30 with free agency...year out of the game...

I'd rather delist him and let him get where he wants to be without any fuss.

Very little. Not much recent precedent for players being traded over 30 with free agency...year out of the game...

I'd take a late 2nd or future late 2nd, or 3rd round pick (this year or future). Never know with points how this could help. I can understand why AFL didn't allow pick in last year's draft, but that doesn't mean we should let him go for nothing, as long as we're not being mean or stupid...

Better to get something than nothing. Doesn't mean we need to play hard ball or anything though.

Suss out where he wants to get to and deal for a late third or something. Maybe just a pick upgrade in our favour. Say Collingwood nibbles, just ask for a swap of thirds or whatever.

Tell you what though, I reckon whichever club takes him will be in for a bit of a rude awakening. Jones without Weitering to support and direct him is going to be a different Jones to the one we saw the last couple of years.

You're completely missing the point that the poster was making.
Getting vaccinated significantly reduces the risk of catching, and then passing on covid (the variants that were active at the time) to those with increased risk (cancer/chemo) of serious outcomes.

It's not like Jones refused the jab and then rocked up to Doc's place of work every day, coughing all over his lunchbox.

He made a choice, one I personally disagree with, but he did so knowing the professional and social ramifications it entailed. Having done so doesn't mean he neglected a responsibility to support Doc. Not sure what support he's supposed to have been offering either, to be honest. Is the issue that he hasn't been around to carry Doc's bag to the car?

You don't have to get a needle in your arm to be there for someone. If you are alluding to the fact that Jones refused to get vaxed somehow connects to jones' lack of support for his cancer mate then FMD.
Edit I'm 3x vaxed as a teacher I need to be...probs would have even if not required but you'd hope that the boys don't hold anything against Jones for his decision.
Let's be honest we all miss him.
Gold!
I’ve said this before, as an indigenous man of conviction, I have no issue with Jonesy’s stand and would welcome him back with open arms at any time. It’s easy to forget that only 55 years ago, indigenous people were first legally recognised as people by an invading populous. Within the lifetime of many people on here I’m sure, some may even remember that referendum. Prior to that, they were little more than property, animals or livestock.

Indigenous people were introduced to a myriad of diseases, viruses and foodstuffs that were completely foreign, killing thousands and initiating disorders such as diabetes due to sugar rich foods. I have every respect for him being sceptical about a hastily concocted medical intervention and how it might respond in his body given the historical context of foods and drugs introduced to indigenous people.

I am not anti vacc, am triple vacced and believe in the Science of Medicine. I wore masks and followed all the guidelines like everyone else. I’m sure there are many vaccinated, indigenous people who should be respected for their decision/s just as Liam should be for his. This call was bigger that loyalty to club, it is loyalty to culture and history.

I wish Liam and his family all the best for the future.

Oh, and we need KKPers on our list! Pronto!

Yeah, just not a fan of conflating Doc's cancer with...well, anything footy related really.

Jones walked his walk for his reasons, at considerable expense.

I live and work rurally (out of town) and am vacc'd to the hilt. If C19 can find me, I think Doc has a bit more to worry about than any of his rigorously monitored team mates.

You don't have to get a needle in your arm to be there for someone. If you are alluding to the fact that Jones refused to get vaxed somehow connects to jones' lack of support for his cancer mate then FMD.
Edit I'm 3x vaxed as a teacher I need to be...probs would have even if not required but you'd hope that the boys don't hold anything against Jones for his decision.
Let's be honest we all miss him.

Jones doesn’t get vaccinated and leaving the club means he didnt support Doc in his cancer recovery? What a load of s**t. Running out on a football field has nothing to do with supporting friends through adversity, friends are suppose to respect each other’s beliefs, life choices, boundaries.

You have all completely missed the point.

Unlike others I have no issue with Jones choosing to do what he wants with his body. I think he's a ******* idiot, but it is entirely his choice.
He is not the only person to refuse the vaccine and if he is prepared to wear the consequences of his choices, then so be it.

You are absolutely kidding yourself though if you don't think there would be angst between Jones and the rest of the playing group.
How can you possibly think there wouldn't be, when we have the added context of Doc and his cancer battle? Jones' decision would have coincided with Doc being at his lowest point, severely immuno-compromised.

Do you not think it's odd that despite being a fantastic career story and an integral part of our team, the narrative from the club has not been one that he would be welcomed back with open arms?

That should tell you all you need to know.

As I have said before, good luck to Liam and good on him if he gets another opportunity at AFL level. We can forget about a return to Carlton though - it won't happen.

Indigenous people were introduced to a myriad of diseases, viruses and foodstuffs that were completely foreign, killing thousands and initiating disorders such as diabetes due to sugar rich foods. I have every respect for him being sceptical about a hastily concocted medical intervention and how it might respond in his body given the historical context of foods and drugs introduced to indigenous people.
There is a massive difference between smallpox, or alcohol, or processed food, and a vaccine against a global pandemic which has killed millions of people, and to which Indigenous people are particularly susceptible.

There is a massive difference between smallpox, or alcohol, or processed food, and a vaccine against a global pandemic which has killed millions of people, and to which Indigenous people are particularly susceptible.
Really? Indigenous people might see the relative comparison. Smallpox alone has killed as many as 300 million people since 1900. 1366 alcohol related deaths in 2020 alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but little difference in the level of trust certain people's have for any of it..........

So a vaccine against smallpox or alcohol would be great, yeah?
There is a well researched, highly effective vaccine against small pox. That’s why it’s almost gone. Alcohol just proves my contention; it’s a choice to drink. Choose not to drink, no alcohol related deaths. Rona vaccine doesn’t stop you getting it, just relieves the symptoms. He chose to live with that fact, just as many of us choose to drink and deal with the potentially life threatening consequences, to self and others. Same as Rona.

Looking forward to picking up at least one KPP at mid season draft and a couple more at the main draft. For the second year in a row our reserves are playing with minimal tall players which is costly for them, and it's bad management as much as bad luck to be in this place.

As well as another young KPD to play with/behind Weits and Young which is clearly a must, I strongly believe we need another young KPF to play with/behind Harry and Charlie. With Jones out and OMac crocked, both need to be replaced like for like, 200cm KPPs please. Bonus if the new guys can carry some ruck duty.

We don't need more mids and flanker, although I can see a few of our current reserves guys being swapped for younger options at end of the year. Small backs and forwards also look OK.

You have all completely missed the point.

Unlike others I have no issue with Jones choosing to do what he wants with his body. I think he's a ******* idiot, but it is entirely his choice.
He is not the only person to refuse the vaccine and if he is prepared to wear the consequences of his choices, then so be it.

You are absolutely kidding yourself though if you don't think there would be angst between Jones and the rest of the playing group.
How can you possibly think there wouldn't be, when we have the added context of Doc and his cancer battle? Jones' decision would have coincided with Doc being at his lowest point, severely immuno-compromised.

Do you not think it's odd that despite being a fantastic career story and an integral part of our team, the narrative from the club has not been one that he would be welcomed back with open arms?

That should tell you all you need to know.

As I have said before, good luck to Liam and good on him if he gets another opportunity at AFL level. We can forget about a return to Carlton though - it won't happen.
Still not seeing a point that has been missed. There may be some discontent at Jones leaving at some levels. Tying that in any way to Doc's cancer battle is tenuous and unecessary.

I am sure it's the furtherest thing from Doc's mind.

It’s a live trial program which doesn’t even prevent contracting/infecting/transmitting the virus. Totally unreasonable for mandates to be placed on anyone, that is not the role of govt or industry bodies to be directing decisions over one’s body/health choices.

but little difference in the level of trust certain people's have for any of it..........
Which is fine in isolation. He made personal choice and that's completely up to him.

So is the amount of trust team-mates would have for him going forward if they all consent to do something and he decides to skip it. I'm sure he wasn't the only player who was hesitant, but no one else left the team short. Where is the team buy-in?

End of the day, Jones made a personal choice which left the team undermanned.

If he doesn't have our back in this, what other situation will he pull out of?

One for all (except one) and all (except one) for one doesn't really work.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is a well researched, highly effective vaccine against small pox. That’s why it’s almost gone. Alcohol just proves my contention; it’s a choice to drink. Choose not to drink, no alcohol related deaths. Rona vaccine doesn’t stop you getting it, just relieves the symptoms. He chose to live with that fact, just as many of us choose to drink and deal with the potentially life threatening consequences, to self and others. Same as Rona.
So by your reasoning not getting the Vax would be similar to getting drunk on gameday. Hey, it's their choice.

I think this logic is flawed.

Which is fine in isolation. He made personal choice and that's completely up to him.

So is the amount of trust team-mates would have for him going if they all consent to do something and he decides to skip it. I'm sure he wasn't the only player who was hesitant, but no one else left the team short. Where is the team buy-in?

come off it - that's just ridiculous - as is persevering in this endless madness - how did I get here? my god, what have I done? this is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife! include me out...........

So is the amount of trust team-mates would have for him going forward if they all consent to do something and he decides to skip it. I'm sure he wasn't the only player who was hesitant, but no one else left the team short. Where is the team buy-in?

Run that one by the Essendon board and see how you go.

Jones appeared to be an incredibly well prepared AFL footballer, who flew at packs with often breath taking abandon. I'm pretty sure the boys were comfortable with his level of commitment.

Looking forward to picking up at least one KPP at mid season draft and a couple more at the main draft. For the second year in a row our reserves are playing with minimal tall players which is costly for them, and it's bad management as much as bad luck to be in this place.

As well as another young KPD to play with/behind Weits and Young which is clearly a must, I strongly believe we need another young KPF to play with/behind Harry and Charlie. With Jones out and OMac crocked, both need to be replaced like for like, 200cm KPPs please. Bonus if the new guys can carry some ruck duty.

We don't need more mids and flanker, although I can see a few of our current reserves guys being swapped for younger options at end of the year. Small backs and forwards also look OK.

Yep, looking at the reserves a Max Heath (MSD pick last year) type that can play forward & ruck.
Then we need someone that can defend down back around the same type of player/KPD.
Mirkov down with an ankle injury, await to see how serious, however that could hasten a selection for a suitable ruckman, even just as a pre-cautionary measure for this season.
Would like to pick up a talented player in advance of the ND, if there’s anyone around our pick that remains who we highly rate with AFL potential. Prefer ball users of note.

Run that one by the Essendon board and see how you go.

Jones appeared to be an incredibly well prepared AFL footballer, who flew at packs with often breath taking abandon. I'm pretty sure the boys were comfortable with his level of commitment.

I guess that answers why they didnt give him a send off game when he retired :tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back