List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOC at the end of the season.

I like OMac, but two years out with back injuries doesn't bode well for him obviously. Would be looking elsewhere for a more durable option.

Will we rue moving Casboult on? Still playing good footy, is pretty durable and I reckon has 2 more good years left which is fine as a ready made stop gap while we contend.

Can cover forward and defender. Also plays forward ruck. We only have two players who can really play that role - JSOS and TDK. Omac could but he's done.

Bulldogs have been known to lack KPPs...I hope Austin doesn't make the same mistake with us.

Will we rue moving Casboult on? Still playing good footy, is pretty durable and I reckon has 2 more good years left which is fine as a ready made stop gap while we contend.

Can cover forward and defender. Also plays forward ruck. We only have two players who can really play that role - JSOS and TDK. Omac could but he's done.

Bulldogs have been known to lack KPPs...I hope Austin doesn't make the same mistake with us.

I'm thinking that the club (Austin if you like) saw it like this: Casboult V TDK as forward ruck; and preferred to bring in Young and at the same never thought that both Pittonet and McDonald would be LTI's.

Elliott Himmelberg dropped again for the Crows. 200cm 99kg 23yo forward/ruck who can mark and kick. I can see it.

Elliott Himmelberg dropped again for the Crows. 200cm 99kg 23yo forward/ruck who can mark and kick. I can see it.

I've watched a fair bit of him...actually had a few really good games this year, kicking 4 goals and playing well. Can support ruck a bit.

But geez he has some absolute stinkers, which is why he's been dropped. Prone to going missing and playing with very little physicality for a guy of his size...a bit Schache like.

Could improve in our system though...and if we're only talking depth, then wouldn't be against it.

I'm thinking that the club (Austin if you like) saw it like this: Casboult V TDK as forward ruck; and preferred to bring in Young and at the same never thought that both Pittonet and McDonald would be LTI's.

Yeah the issue only comes up if all of McDonald, Pittonet and one of our key forwards gets injured...which has happened unfortunately.

But McDonald had serious issues last year. And injuries to 2 of our key forwards/rucks could easily happen, which it has. Especially with Curnow a bit of an unknown coming back from serious injuries. Should have had a contingency in place IMO.

Yeah the issue only comes up if all of McDonald, Pittonet and one of our key forwards gets injured...which has happened unfortunately.

But McDonald had serious issues last year. And injuries to 2 of our key forwards/rucks could easily happen, which it has. Especially with Curnow a bit of an unknown coming back from serious injuries. Should have had a contingency in place IMO.

Jones mucked us up - a lot.

Good footy ! ...... Possessed by the footy devil. Saw a ridiculous stat, he and Chol are 3rd best fwd combo in the comp this season in terms of goals behind Hawkins Cameron and Curnow McKay. Crazy...

I've made my peace with it since if he hadn't retired, Young might not have gotten a game...certainly not as a defender where he's been excellent. Given Jones' and Young's age, good for our future.
Better expression of what I could have said would be "Jones' unplanned for absence mucked us up a lot"....:thumbsu:

I believe only one of three will Lae it through
Max 2
But 1 of 3 definitely gone in my opinion. Just have to stop recruiting players that are prone to injury no matter how attractive the imaginary benefit is
It’s just not sustainable
Stop recruiting injury prone players, then the average injury list would be much healthier.
All that could be true. But Oscars back could come good. We have had a long list of backs that once returned have proven ok. Cripps, Harry, Williamson for example.

Marchbanks knee could be like dochertys recovery, which now looks darn good. His neck fracture is a one off. It's quite possible that AR'S program brings him back better than ever

Out of the 3 , I have least confidence about Mitch , he seems incredibly injury prone.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

All that could be true. But Oscars back could come good. We have had a long list of backs that once returned have proven ok. Cripps, Harry, Williamson for example.

Marchbanks knee could be like dochertys recovery, which now looks darn good. His neck fracture is a one off. It's quite possible that AR'S program brings him back better than ever

Out of the 3 , I have least confidence about Mitch , he seems incredibly injury prone.

Its a fair point. Will be interesting to see what decision the club makes. Easy for us to say delist but if it gets to the end of the year and he is fully rehabilitated and AR is confident in his body do we delist just based on his history only to take an inferior depth player?

Problem there, as I see it, is that you're banking on him wanting to move because he's not firmly cemented in their starting side, but then offering him a position behind Harry, Charlie, JSOS and TDK. The incentive just isn't there for him to make the move, when you've got, for example, a Collingwood forward line which is bereft of tall forwards. Hell, he could just cross town to Port given they're being exposed without the aging Dixon.

Need to find that rare player who is solid AFL backup/VFL quality, and knows that they're just trying to prolong their time on a list by leaning into that role. Otherwise, you're taking a kid to develop or a 30+yo who just wants to hold on a little longer than their current club wants them to.

Hi folks,
I have Will Setterfield in a keeper league.
Given he only got a 1 year extension and the depth of the Blues list, do you see him being kept next season?
Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi folks,
I have Will Setterfield in a keeper league.
Given he only got a 1 year extension and the depth of the Blues list, do you see him being kept next season?
Cheers.

I think if someone comes calling for him, we'll happily move him on. If not, he may survive as a somewhat versatile break glass emergency option.

I hope that Dow gets an opportunity and shows enough to stay on the list, but that will be tough task for him

As a hypothetical, if both parties were to part ways, I would see if the Tigers would do a straight swap for Ben Miller
If he leaves, I feel that it would be his decision. He is great depth potentially. We might need to rest some of our minds going into finals, or what if we lose one of the fab 5 to injury for the year. It's a big ask for Carrol to step up.

Problem there, as I see it, is that you're banking on him wanting to move because he's not firmly cemented in their starting side, but then offering him a position behind Harry, Charlie, JSOS and TDK. The incentive just isn't there for him to make the move, when you've got, for example, a Collingwood forward line which is bereft of tall forwards. Hell, he could just cross town to Port given they're being exposed without the aging Dixon.

Need to find that rare player who is solid AFL backup/VFL quality, and knows that they're just trying to prolong their time on a list by leaning into that role. Otherwise, you're taking a kid to develop or a 30+yo who just wants to hold on a little longer than their current club wants them to.
Agree that the challenge of breaking into the team would be a factor in his decision. No reason why he can’t play second ruck, KPD, KPF - only have to look at our situation right now to suggest that if he’s good enough, the opportunities will be there.
Being able to point to the ladder is a very big incentive we haven’t had on side until now - might just help us get more players over line and potentially cheaper than recent deals.

impressive watching footage of the amount of times we are now bursting through tackles from the midfield - cripps, we get it, he sees tackles like the normal person sees lint, but all of our midfield starters are shrugging off tackles that, as much as I hate to say it used to have the likes of poor murph and ed buried under a pile of opposition.......at the very least we are now strong enough to "stand up" in the tackle enabling us to dish off into space.........so good
Spot on Thy and here’s a paragraph from an article that proves it.

“The Blues rank first in the AFL in centre bounce clearance and first in scores from centre bounces (+107 points, substantially ahead of Brisbane at +38 points). And the supremacy of their talented on-ball brigade has meant opposition have ranked 17th in the league this year in tackle efficiency.”

We are near impossible to successfully tackle in the middle of the ground with our inside mids seemingly able to get away a release handball in nearly all situations, this is of course aided by the positioning of there teammates to receive said handball in clear space, diametrically opposed to the Barker/Stanton farcical set ups of past years. Manna from heaven.

I don’t mind you playing devils advocate as I do that at times but oscar is done

Absolutely he would. Any naysayers here are assessing Setterfield the wingman. Think he would have more appeal than most think. Recruiters have long memories. Not that we would get much better than a third rounder.
And in all fairness to Setters the times he has been around a stoppage this year, which playing on the wing hasn’t been a lot, he has acquitted himself well and still has good hands in close and positions himself well.

I still think he has upside as a genuine inside mid, he was the 2nd most improved player in the AFL in 2020 playing as an inside mid and was on an upward trajectory before Teague and Bill & Ben the flower pot men, Barker/Stanton, decided to make him a wingman in 2021.

And in all fairness to Setters the times he has been around a stoppage this year, which playing on the wing hasn’t been a lot, he has acquitted himself well and still has good hands in close and positions himself well.

I still think he has upside as a genuine inside mid, he was the 2nd most improved player in the AFL in 2020 playing as an inside mid and was on an upward trajectory before Teague and Bill & Ben the flower pot men, Barker/Stanton, decided to make him a wingman in 2021.
Setters isn't as good as Hewett, Cripps, etc. inside and he's not quick enough to play wing. It leaves him exposed. Could be a good player elsewhere but I doubt he gets the chance. At best rookie spot.

If he leaves, I feel that it would be his decision. He is great depth potentially. We might need to rest some of our minds going into finals, or what if we lose one of the fab 5 to injury for the year. It's a big ask for Carrol to step up.

The other option we have which we haven’t explored as yet is to rotate Walsh and Cerra on the wing which frees up an inside mid slot for Dow, which unfortunately is his only position hence why he hasn’t played, it also has the added benefit of strengthening our wing/wings which could be a very strong move for later in the year if no one absolutely locks away the wings positions.

Ideally I think our best side would have Walsh on one wing Cerra on the other and the combo of Cripps, Hewy, Kennedy and Dow rotating in the guts which would make us bulletproof between the arcs, with Doc pushing up from defence and Fish from forward. Deadly.

Last edited:
Setters isn't as good as Hewett, Cripps, etc. inside and he's not quick enough to play wing. It leaves him exposed. Could be a good player elsewhere but I doubt he gets the chance. At best rookie spot.
Yeah he’s no chance at getting into our inside mid rotation, but I was making the point that he would definitely have value to another club as an inside mid as he has some good upside still.

The other option we have which we haven’t explored as yet is to rotate Walsh and Cerra on the wing which frees up an inside mid slot for Dow, which unfortunately is his only position hence why he hasn’t played, it also has the added benefit of strengthening our wing/wings which could be a very strong move for later in the year if no one absolutely locks away the wings positions.

Ideally I think our best side would have Walsh on one wing Cerra on the other and the combo of Cripps, Hewy, Kennedy and Dow rotating in the guts which would make us bulletproof between the arcs, with Doc pushing up from defence and Fish from forward. Deadly.

I think when everyone suggests Cerra / Walsh to the wing they are still in the old mindset of "inside players win the ball and distribute to wingers who deliver the ball." In reality the way we are using wingers (and most teams now) means they have little involvement off the back of clearances. They are mainly used to work back defensively and block space then provide an option in offensive transition.

You actually need running players and classy distributors around the stoppages too. Without Walsh / Cerra our onball group becomes super one dimentional.

I get the concept as I was on the Walsh / Cerra to the wing train too earlier in the year but if you look carefully at how we are actually using wingers it quickly becomes clear that it would be a massive waste.

I am not sure what you base that on.... surely he would have been delisted after his first year if it was that bad , he wasnt so those who would know, judged it to be redeemable.
Yeah the way I see it from what I’ve read is that Oscar is very highly rated within the club and still well and truly in our future plans, so I would be very surprised if he didn’t get a contract for next year given he was our preferred partner for Weiters before reinjuring his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back