List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin, if he plays a full season, is the guy who propels us into flag/top 2 to 4 calculations.

Hope they can get on top of his calf issues....

Ditto a guy like Williams if he burns it up.

Both are match winners.

We know what we'll get from guys like Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Weiters, Doc, Charlie and Harry - guys like Williams/Martin are the cherry on top.

Even a full season from Mclovin' (burgers) will be a huge plus for our team!

I feel that both Martin and Williams, at the time they were brought in, were expected to having that impact, but even when fully fit at the Blues neither have shown any consistency to achieve it.

Martin's position more so than Williams' is what we desperately need. After Harry and Charlie, our avenues to goal are thin. Martin averages less than a goal a game and for the role he is playing, we need a $hitload more.

I feel that both Martin and Williams, at the time they were brought in, were expected to having that impact, but even when fully fit at the Blues neither have shown any consistency to achieve it.

Martin's position more so than Williams' is what we desperately need. After Harry and Charlie, our avenues to goal are thin. Martin averages less than a goal a game and for the role he is playing, we need a $hitload more.
no argument.

Thus far he's been a fail really.

Terrible output since arriving here - amid much fanfare!

1665615792780.png

But he's only 27yo odd, 135 games.

Has 4-5 years potentially ahead - his best remains elite. Very elite.

Up to Jack (Russell) to get him on the park and keep him on the park.

The Dees will be top 4 next year but the Filth won’t make finals, they traded away one of the top 3 rucks in the league and most of there better players this year were mainly pensioners
They played extremely well without one of the top 3 ruckman in the league for a lengthy period of time,as much as i hate to say it,i think they'll be playing finals again next season.
I just hope we beat them every time we play them!

Every team has a shocker now and again.

We also should have beaten both the Dees (staggered no one has said more about the 36 minute + 4th quarter - odd in the extreme) and the Pies in the last two weeks of H & A.

Both games without Hewett and Kennedy, the final game without Walsh too.

How do you think the Dees would have fared without 2 of their 5 best mids?

We walk away with our heads high, knowing those teams are well beatable - and it's all between the ears at this level.

We'll smoke one of those teams by 50+ next year.

If we can get full seasons out of Martin, Williams, Marchy and Brackets, top 4 comfortably.

(presuming the mids are fit too)
What planet do you live on, cos it certainly aint this one.

They won 10 games by under 2 goals, whilst they did a great job, you cannot guarantee that strike rate continuing, such a fine line & competition is so even.
They certainly had a good run winning the close ones during the season.

But their strike rate struck out in the finals when it mattered…. losing two finals by 6 points and a point.

Well that was an erudite response.

Keep up the good work.
Those 4 players have collectively played just 35% of games in the past 2 seasons, which includes multiple games in which they were subbed off injured.

Not to mention several other injury-interrupted years in their careers to date.

If we built a time-machine, travelled back to 1970, picked-up Jezza, and he played a full season for us next year, top 4 comfortably.

On the balance of probability it's unlikely to happen, but no more or less than what you wrote.

Overall, I am happy we picked up Acres for cheap and have no problem with the Setterfield trade. I am not going to go into the reasons why we couldn't get much in return for him but I understand how his situational worth played the part in the deal. Also, I believe not trading Dow was a wise decision from a depth point of view and with Ed and Cunningham back, I don't think losing Setters will make a difference.

What I am a bit surprised about is that we didn't bolster our key position and ruck depth. I know at one stage we were into McCasey which didn't eventuate, and perhaps the club did look at some options which also never happened for one reason or another. Maybe we are still looking into delisted free agents at these positions or have certain players in the draft we are eyeing off.

I sure hope so. Last year's injuries really highlighted our need for some depth in this area. I would like to see one of each being brought in either via free agency or the draft. 1 key defender, 1 key forward and 1 more ruck option. I know we have Mirkov developing in the reserves, but I believe we could really use a more experienced ruck as a depth piece.

Any mature age ruckman who is willing to come across and play behind both Pittonet and TDK, and alongside a developing Mirkov, is going to be....to put it delicately...pretty s**t.

I'd be comfortable with us just picking up a decent state leaguer in the SSP in February, assuming we have at least one of our customary season-ending pre-season injuries.

Yes Martin and Gov both been huge disappointed as avenues to goal and we lured them over to us on big contracts as we had the cap/salary flexibility at the time, same for Williams as mid -attacking back, another salary dump that’s backfired unfortunately.

Those 4 players have collectively played just 35% of games in the past 2 seasons, which includes multiple games in which they were subbed off injured.

Not to mention several other injury-interrupted years in their careers to date.

If we built a time-machine, travelled back to 1970, picked-up Jezza, and he played a full season for us next year, top 4 comfortably.

On the balance of probability it's unlikely to happen, but no more or less than what you wrote.

Get them to 70%+ (on average) and we're sweet.

Any mature age ruckman who is willing to come across and play behind both Pittonet and TDK, and alongside a developing Mirkov, is going to be....to put it delicately...pretty s**t.

I'd be comfortable with us just picking up a decent state leaguer in the SSP in February, assuming we have at least one of our customary season-ending pre-season injuries.
Agree the horse has bolted, and your idea has merit, otherwise there’ll may be less restrictions on cap mobility next trading period.

Ye both these guys are high end.
Martin does have a history of Injury at the Suns...as well..
This guy is a top draft pick any day of the week,yet to show AFL world what his capabilities might be and i think it should happen at some stage

Williams such a fierce competitor when going,again he had some conditioning issues on arrival on CFC not a lot unlike Martin and did take time to reach condition only to breakdown again...THEY ARE BOTH GUNS HENCE CARLTON DREAMT BIG.....

not unusual for player to breakdown with issues under a professional AFL training load and i dont think Voss would be an exception to that either

so the faith to be placed in he rehab teams............ i would be bullish on both long term,i think they will want to compete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next season this trade period will be tough to keep everyone we want to keep.
Tom De Koning and Brodie Kemp will probaby be targets for other clubs with big offers for TDK certain to come and if Kemp improves heaps they will come for him too.
To keep both it probably means moving on someone on decent coin like Zac Williams and maybe another like a Mitch McGovern.
If Cuningham shakes off his injury issues and plays a full season near his potential he is another one clubs could target. If I am Hawks he'd be a good replacement for when Bruest retires.

Tom De Koning and Brodie Kemp will probaby be targets for other clubs with big offers for TDK certain to come and if Kemp improves heaps they will come for him too.
To keep both it probably means moving on someone on decent coin like Zac Williams and maybe another like a Mitch McGovern.
If Cuningham shakes off his injury issues and plays a full season near his potential he is another one clubs could target. If I am Hawks he'd be a good replacement for when Bruest retires.
TDK should he decide to go, will return decent compensation, draft cohort 2023 is good & deep first 2 rds, so whilst losing Tom would difficult and at least well get valuable currency, and if Cunners , Gov and Williams can't stay on the park and impact games ,again , then its time to look at moving them on too.

Last edited:

Not so sure FF, don't think we will lose players we want to keep

If you are making a short list of players we release and or are surpassed next year

Ed, Newman, Fog, Plow and possibly Dow unless he improves his weaknesses, would be the first list of names.

TDK should he decide to go, will return decent compensation, draft cohort 2023 is good & deep first 2 rds, so whilst losing Tom is difficult at least well get compensation and if Cunners , Gov and Williams can't stay on the park and impact games ,again , then its time to look at moving them on too.

If they're "impacting games" (for the better presumably!), why would you move them on?

Gov has had his big earn, would surely accept considerably less to be part of a successful team.

Cuners on bare minimum.

Williams would be at the cheap end of his contract too?

Yup agree, especially with the Pies touch in transforming youngsters into competitive beasts, liked their trade acquisitions too have been constructive .
Absolutely, they have the competitive and killer edge that we're crying out for, and they have some really good youngsters to work with the experienced heads.

He should be a 35-45 goals a year type....

Plus some midfield razzle dazzle time.
We want that then Austin needs to move us up the draft to 3 or 4 and get us Sheezel who I think will be the best player in this years draft, forward smarts to burn and the most natural and damaging blind turn in traffic I’ve seen to turn and burn in the midfield.

When you look at what other teams were able to do, it's concerning that we were constrained to such a degree given we didn't even make finals.

Other clubs have had to replace losses to best 22 players (Freo/Melbourne) and/or offset their declining older players with new recruits (Richmond/Geelong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back