List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would a player like Merrett or Kelly come to hawthorn? Or any elite free agent?
Why come to a club with literally the worst list.
I keep seeing (if we get?)
We aren't getting anyone with elite qualities outside of the draft. Simple as that.
We could potentially buy a bloke. But who wants a guy willing to trade success for cash? Chances are they will have left an average unsuccessful club to move to the worst list in the league. For cash.
Merrett will stay at Essendon or go to premiership contender. Simple as that.
There's no doubt. Plus speculation around the direction around the coach, president etc.
Uncertainty and poor performance is not a good mix to attract anyone other than draftees at present.

I have been as frustrated as anyone at Mitchell’s output this year.
However I think we need to give him 1 more year to see where he is at.
He has come off a broken leg, then shoulder reconstruction the last 3 years. Hardly had a pre season this year.
If he can get a full pre season this summer, get some more strength and power back and see what he produces next year.
Putting more dynamic quick elite ball users and a quality tap ruckman next to him is a much better option than trading him.
If the output doesn’t improve by end of next year then yes definitely look to move on.

Without going into nuts and bolts of who to bring in I would like our strategy to centre around drafting heavily to ensure we have a core group who are all extremely 'Hawthorn' and then look to fill in gaps from there. Feel our money ball strategy left our list feeling a little bit like a patchwork quilt of recent.

If we could manage to bring in Cerra somehow that would be a massive win for the club- super talented player. But it 100% cannot be at the expense of our first round picks.
I think were we to orchestrate some player movement to make it happen we'd be in a great spot, but sadly I don't think we have anyone on our list that will get Freo into finals contention who would be willing to move to Perth.
Weirdly enough if we were to finish last this year I can imagine our midfield dynamic changing/improving greatly next year- offload Mitchell to a team looking to play finals in 2022, try and convince Cerra to come to the PSD.
Were our starting midfield brigade next season to have Cerra, Worpel, JOM and Horne I think we'd all be very excited to see how that would work. I think this would allow us to target more top end small forwards through the draft with our higher picks too.
Of our current <25 small forwards I'm only sold on Brocky currently, so getting him some more assistance in a long term capacity would be incredible.

You would reckon the Hawks will be looking at the best FA inside mid in the trading period, and if they finish bottom 3 then they will have no competition from North (well complimented in that area), or Collingwood (maxed out cap).

Z. Merrett would be at the top of that list. If you can trade your 1st round pick for Cerra, then that situation would be largely rectified.

You would reckon the Hawks will be looking at the best FA inside mid in the trading period, and if they finish bottom 3 then they will have no competition from North (well complimented in that area), or Collingwood (maxed out cap).

Z. Merrett would be at the top of that list. If you can trade your 1st round pick for Cerra, then that situation would be largely rectified.
No chance we're trading that pick.

Would think our first round pick would be untouchable unless we traded in an extra first rounder or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, at this stage looking like an elite top 2 and then an even top 10 and experts saying really thins out after 25. But they still have the champs at the end of the year that can change opinions either way quickly.
The year off has had a massive effect. Watching the youngsters vs VFL game you could tell how they needed time to get back into the flow of it. I feel this draft will look a lot more promising at the end of the year.

Very fair call,

He's definitely not playing at his best. When we recruited him he'd just come off 26 disposals and 2 goals in a grand final. 2 years later he wins a Brownlow in a top 4 team. He definitely has enough X factor. This year though, his disposal and decision making have really let him down which is concerning because it makes you wonder if he can improve on that at 28. If we knew for sure that this is a result of an interrupted preseason and lack of touch then absolutely give the guy another year to come good. I'm a bit torn on this one because I also love the idea of getting a 10-15 pick for him assuming that's possible.

I have been as frustrated as anyone at Mitchell’s output this year.
However I think we need to give him 1 more year to see where he is at.
He has come off a broken leg, then shoulder reconstruction the last 3 years. Hardly had a pre season this year.
If he can get a full pre season this summer, get some more strength and power back and see what he produces next year.
Putting more dynamic quick elite ball users and a quality tap ruckman next to him is a much better option than trading him.
If the output doesn’t improve by end of next year then yes definitely look to move on.

Zac Merrett is 26 soon. And is if he would want to come to a bottom club. We would have to pay him way too much. Pass on him and any other FAs.
What we need to do is front end all of our contracts with our premiership worthy 26 & under players (Sicily & younger), so we have cap room to bring in FAs in 3 - 5 years when we are ready to challenge again. E.g. Sign up Sicily on a $3.5m, five year deal with $1m the next three years, then $250K in 2025 & 2026.

Zac Merrett is 26 soon. And is if he would want to come to a bottom club. We would have to pay him way too much. Pass on him and any other FAs.
What we need to do is front end all of our contracts with our premiership worthy 26 & under players (Sicily & younger), so we have cap room to bring in FAs in 3 - 5 years when we are ready to challenge again. E.g. Sign up Sicily on a $3.5m, five year deal with $1m the next three years, then $250K in 2025 & 2026.

I'm happy to do that with Sicily, or I don't also mind if he wants to walk and we get Band 1 compo meaning two top 5 picks for us in 2022.

Would you trade our first round pick (top 2 at this stage) for Cerra and Freo's first round pick? Likely to be a top 10 pick too.

Edit: This is based on us receiving the #2 pick and not Pick 1 by the way.

Last edited:
Would you trade our first round pick (top 2 at this stage) for Cerra and Freo's first round pick? Likely to be a top 10 pick too.

If we finish last, no way.

If we finish not last, then potentially yes as we would miss out on the clear standouts in the draft, Horne and Daicos.

If we decided that we didn’t have a clear standout selection in the top 10 then it could be a decent move as we would potentially get Cerra and also our preferred first pick anyway.

If we finish last, no way.

If we finish not last, then potentially yes as we would miss out on the clear standouts in the draft, Horne and Daicos.

If we decided that we didn’t have a clear standout selection in the top 10 then it could be a decent move as we would potentially get Cerra and also our preferred first pick anyway.

Yes, was very much a question posed on the basis of finishing 17th and receiving the #2 pick. Rather than #1 and trading away access to the near-consensus best player, Horne.

We currently have picks 2, 21 and 22 in the main draft as well as pick 2 in the midseason draft. We also hold pick 2 in the preseason draft so we will have the upper hand in any trade negotiations.

We could add 4-5 players this year alone that could contribute to our next premiership tilt.

We currently have picks 2, 21 and 22 in the main draft as well as pick 2 in the midseason draft. We also hold pick 2 in the preseason draft so we will have the upper hand in any trade negotiations.

We could add 4-5 players this year alone that could contribute to our next premiership tilt.

If we can somehow add another pick inside the top 30 in this draft that would be great. Even if it’s just another second round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back