List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for sure, I completely understand and am on board with why we should consider trading Titch. I just think there will be some serious short-term pain (for long-term gain) if we do because one of our biggest issues is mids depth, so we will struggle to cover losing our best I imagine, unless someone like Newcombe/Nash really takes the next step. Let's hope they do Titch or no Titch though

I'm presuming that the delisting of Cousins is a big show of faith in Newcombe and Nash.

I’m sorry but that logic is ridiculous for a player who is in the top tier of pay structure / front loaded so received above yearly contracted earnings and is now requiring a bottom 4 club that he is directly apart of to pay him at a higher rate when their is significant list needs.

I would be keeping reserve for our significant youth coming through that will need payrises, not player in the top of our pay structure
I'm not advocating for a huge bump or anything like that. I'm actually more of the opinion that he signed the deal he did and should honour that payment structure as was agreed. But I'm acknowledging that the landscape has changed somewhat since he signed his deal (he's won a Brownlow, PCMs, coaching panel has changed, club premiership target, etc.) and as a consistently high performer who can have a big influence over how competitive we are as the young guys continue to develop I don't think it would be out of the question for the club to review his deal.

To be clear it certainly shouldn't be at the expense of any of our up and coming stars who happen to still be on draftee/rookie level deals despite top tier best 22 performances. But we also don't want to fall into the trap other rebuilding clubs have fallen into where they pay their young players very handsomely early on to meet TPP, set unreasonably high pay expectations, and then have no significant room to move years later when they're out of contract and even better than they were at 21-22 years old.

sorry mate, you have some off info, seen as abit of an outsider to the main group (younger players), not to say he isnt liked, but noone will be shattered that he is gone in the group, Clarko was down on him as well before he left, never mentioned him in any of the interviews in regards to feeling responsible to those players he promised a flag tilt (Wingard, Impey, Omeara)
Fair enough, all i know is that he said he was happy and wanted to stay, seems a bit of a leader (leadership group) and i get the vibe Sam seems to like him. I think Sam said they had little intention of trading away big name players in that interview on zoom he did with the higher up members.

I think in a good team he good definitely have AA potential.

Very unlucky IMO.

And where the hell can you change the font to Orange?

Either you can't do it or I'm losing me marbles.
Wait you can? i don't know either haha, yeah idk i like Cousins and all of his perks and pros. His cons for mine arent as blatant as people put it out to be. His kicking is his worst point but people forget that he literally was our attacking midfielder in 2020 and averaged 20 touches 5 inside 50s and 80% DE or there abouts. Just stalled really (had a foot injury so that could be it).

sorry mate, you have some off info, seen as abit of an outsider to the main group (younger players), not to say he isnt liked, but noone will be shattered that he is gone in the group, Clarko was down on him as well before he left, never mentioned him in any of the interviews in regards to feeling responsible to those players he promised a flag tilt (Wingard, Impey, Omeara)

i have heard differently to this

Let me put it this way then - the midfield of Phillips/Mitchell/O’Meara/Worpel/Howe and Shiels won’t win a flag - I think we all know that, even with better coaching. We need to hit the draft to get a chance at the midfielders we need - the only player who could get us more assets to help with that is Mitchell. If we get the draft collateral we need by way of an offer then I’m hoping we jump at it. As good a player as Tom is - I want the next premiership to be the objective now - not Tom’s deserved individual honours.

I hope we are really aggressive at the trade table, it's the only way we will accelerate this rebuild. Our most tradeable assets, though we probably won't get 'true value' for, are Mitchell, Sicily and Gunston. Most teams could use those three players. Ceglar could garner some interest too.

Teams like Brisbane, Doggies, GWS, Melbourne and Port are in their window, or a team like Richmond will potentially looking to extend their window.

Interesting considering Mitchell had a bunch of the younger guys attend his ball magnets opening at the G. Was surprised with how many of the young brigade were there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankings: Home & Away Season
Contested Possession Differential: 14th
Uncontested Possession Differential: 5th
Inside 50 Differential: 15th
Scoring Shots Per Inside 50: 16th
Scoring Shots Per Inside 50 Conceded: 5th

Confirms what I already knew. We already have one of the best defenses in the league, and half of the blokes back there have improvement in them.

Also, more evidence that we need to up our contested game and get dangerous inside 50.

I'm presuming that the delisting of Cousins is a big show of faith in Newcombe and Nash.

Not sure on that, maybe just that we have too much depth for mid paced inside mids and hence our list composition needs to change; and Cuz's ceiling is pretty clear, but Jai's and Nash's are not.

Assuming that list sizes are kept the same - Do we have four senior list spots and two rookie selections to fill?
I wouldn’t bother doing the maths before trade week.

Confirms what I already knew. We already have one of the best defenses in the league, and half of the blokes back there have improvement in them.

Also, more evidence that we need to up our contested game and get dangerous inside 50.
Number 1 for average disposals: Stagnant ball movement was our biggest issue, we gave too much time for the opposition defense to roll back

Or that we often drop one from stoppages back to help defence.

Combined with our lack of pace in midfield we end up just racking up heaps of possessions as we win ball back on in then stuff around with it. We don’t attack forward hard - which means we don’t get caught out on rebound much but also struggle to score.

Until we stop dropping one back or play more consistent transition footy (which increases risks of ball coming back other way) we won’t have a good idea on how our defence stands up to pressure.

In the absence of talent, we project our hopes onto players, willing them to become what the team needs.
Then a real talent shows up and makes you realise how far from the standard some players are, and how foolish we were for believing effort would make up the difference.

Nash's performances in the middle make the years long effort to turn him into a forward look similarly foolish.
He just looks a natural in the midfield. Never looked a natural forward.

Last edited:
In the absence of talent, we project our hopes onto players, willing them to become what the team needs.
Then a real talent shows up and makes you realise how far from the standard some players are, and how foolish we were for believing effort would make up the difference.

Nash's performances in the middle make the years long effort to turn him into a forward look similarly foolish.
He just looks a natural in the midfield. Never looked a natural forward.

and incidentally is now around the magic 50 games. Should a player with no games start in the midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back