burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
You can’t build a large tank in just one preseason - it will take a few pre seasons for him to get to his optimal aerobic level
Yep. But can probably get a material improvement with dropping a few kgs and a lot of running in a professional environment. Doesn’t need to be elite runner by next year just afl standard.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just because I am feeling petty today - my original post on this topic back on page 179:

Losing Mitchell won't phase me - happy if he stays, happy if we get a good trade for him. Turns 29 next year. Absolutely solid player and can drive up the disposals and hit the scoreboard when at his best - but there are a good deal of midfielders who average 5-10 less touches than him that can deal out more damage on the field than Titch does. He's a dependable workhorse but we are crying out for X-factor. Lacking him in 2019 we still finished 9th with as many wins as losses which is a far better outcome than both 2020 and 2021 when he did play. So long as the return works for us I won't be worried about him departing.

Now every post I make in the continuing discussion doesn't have to be in essay form where I have to restate my original argument that overall so long as the trade works for us I won't be crying into my cereal if Mitchell plays elsewhere next year. It might turn out to be a bad trade if the youngsters we get turn out to be trade busts - but that's the dice you have to roll. I am a big fan of Tom Mitchell - if you want to get really forensic about this you can go find 'big fish' threads from 2016 where I say that Mitchell is the big signing that I want and would rather him even if it meant missing out on O'Meara at the time. But I am a bigger supporter of the Hawthorn Football Club than any one player - even if they are as prolific at racking up the touches. If trading Tom gets us the opportunity of being closer to the next flag by getting a strong first round pick then I would be happy with the club pulling that trigger.

As good as Mitchell is I don't think I am speaking out of line by suggesting that he doesn't have that x-factor that some players do. He's not going to turn a game on its head like a Dusty Martin type of player can. That's not a knock on Tom - very few players have that ability. But if that next midfielder is potentially sitting in the first round this year and we can get another stab at that player - then I am all in on doing that this year. If the trade offer is a second rounder for Tom then the offering team can kindly go fu** itself.
Just like how Titch had 18 disposals v Dons 3rd quarter and basically turned the game upside down from 40 points down? yeah shhh.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just like how Titch had 18 disposals v Dons 3rd quarter and basically turned the game upside down from 40 points down? yeah shhh.
Moore had 14 and kicked 3 that qtr which was much more important than Tom’s contribution.

Plus single games/qtrs don’t mean much, it’s the ability to consistently win games that Tom doesn’t have.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moore had 14 and kicked 3 that qtr which was much more important than Tom’s contribution.

Plus single games/qtrs don’t mean much, it’s the ability to consistently win games that Tom doesn’t have.
No it wasn't. Titch turned that game, i wonder who gave Moore the ball for the goals? oh yeah, Mitchell. 18 in a quarter and fed our forwards. Moore feasted playing as a forward and also pushed up to help out (on the wings and workrate) like he does normally. Tom wins games, he does, believe it or not. Just does it differently to Dusty.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No it wasn't. Titch turned that game, i wonder who gave Moore the ball for the goals? oh yeah, Mitchell. 18 in a quarter and fed our forwards. Moore feasted playing as a forward and also pushed up to help out (on the wings and workrate) like he does normally. Tom wins games, he does, believe it or not. Just does it differently to Dusty.
I think you are overstating Tom’s performance in that quarter. He had 3 kicks, 3 contested possessions and no clearances. Moore had 7 contested possessions.

He got a lot of the ball, but its the other players around Tom that do the damage. It was Moore in that 3rd qtr that did the damage. Tom’s impact is lifted by his teammates a lot more than he lifts his teammates. The dusty’s who do the opposite are as rare as hens teeth.

Tom gets a lot of the ball, but his possession tally often overstates his impact.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you are overstating Tom’s performance in that quarter. He had 3 kicks, 3 contested possessions and no clearances. Moore had 7 contested possessions.

He got a lot of the ball, but its the other players around Tom that do the damage. It was Moore in that 3rd qtr that did the damage. Tom’s impact is lifted by his teammates a lot more than he lifts his teammates. The dusty’s who do the opposite are as rare as hens teeth.

Tom gets a lot of the ball, but his possession tally often overstates his impact.
LOL Tom was by fair the best that quarter.

I think you are overstating Tom’s performance in that quarter.
Domonic wouldn't overstate the performance of our players, mate.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Are we still into Jarrod Brander any news on him.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tom Morris reporting that O'Brien and Hanrahan won't we offered a new contract until after the trade period.
I reckon if we can trade in replacements for them they are gone.
Let’s us trade them or have TO go as a free agent. It’s good to keep our options open.

Tom Morris reporting that O'Brien and Hanrahan won't we offered a new contract until after the trade period.
I reckon if we can trade in replacements for them they are gone.

O’Brien, Hanrahan and Ceglar all have very little market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back