List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
*The Incredible Fella © is a registered trademark of Revengers Pty Ltd. Any resemblance to any other trademarked action figure is purely coincidental
“Obvious plant”

You guys reckon the Specialman movie is crying out for Steven Segal in the title role? The action figure looks just like him, albeit with more expression and acting ability...

Last edited:
You guys reckon the Specialman movie is crying out for Steven Segal in the title role? The action figure looks just like him, albeit with more expression and acting ability...

Slightly less caloric intake these days also.

Slightly less caloric intake these days also.
Yep, he's a fat campaigner.

It's like his body is expanding to finally match the size of his ego...

Just been thinking that if we take our 3 current draft picks to the draft we will have added. 3 of the 5 players who we’ve drafted on our list with the earliest picks would have been taken in 1 draft.

We’ve only got 4 players we’ve drafted under pick 30 on our list. All in the last 2 drafts. Could be 7 after this draft.

Got me thinking about the volume of draft picks taken in our history given these lack of top 30 players now. I’ve decided to break it down with our picks taken from 01-08, 09-18 and 19-now. Given the seemingly different strategies at each time.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Picks 1-10[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Picks 11-20[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Picks 21-30[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Total[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]01-08[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]8[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]6[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]6[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]20[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]09-18[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]0[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]3[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]19-now[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]4[/TD]

The numbers were boosted from 01-08 by 2 start of first round priority picks. And as we were mostly competing from 09-18 we started with higher picks. And we won 3 flags in that time.

But now we are at a rebuilding phase we need as many top 30. It’s why I’m also hesitant to spend loads trying to move up this year.

From 09-18 it was all about topping up. Now to me it’s time to start laying foundations for our next premiership assault. Even with free agency no teams have succeeded by topping up. It’s all been built on a core of drafted talent.

As such, given the above numbers, our two bottom 5 finishes have been unsurprising. Despite the other goings on around the last two years.

It will not be through a lack of trying, really happy to see young and old Hawks comitted to training early at the club. Wingard, Mitchell, Sicily, Maginness and more leading the way.

Maybe I’m a little pessimistic but from 2022 on I can’t see a number of other players producing career best years. Tom, JOM, Gunston, Breust, Phillips, Howe and Frost. Some just won’t reproduce the form they had early in their career (Tom and Phillips). Gunston and Breust are getting older now. Wings hasn’t been close to the level he was in his first 4 years.

Even Sicily might not get back to what he was pre injury. Plus Impey has really struggled with injuries also.

All our improvement needs to come from our youth. And the more opportunities they get the better. It’s why our drafting over the next couple of years is so important.

It will not be through a lack of trying, really happy to see young and old Hawks comitted to training early at the club. Wingard, Mitchell, Sicily, Maginness and more leading the way.
It’s a sign of the times (Covid) that nearly all clubs have guys training earlier than scheduled to officially return

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just been thinking that if we take our 3 current draft picks to the draft we will have added. 3 of the 5 players who we’ve drafted on our list with the earliest picks would have been taken in 1 draft.

We’ve only got 4 players we’ve drafted under pick 30 on our list. All in the last 2 drafts. Could be 7 after this draft.

Got me thinking about the volume of draft picks taken in our history given these lack of top 30 players now. I’ve decided to break it down with our picks taken from 01-08, 09-18 and 19-now. Given the seemingly different strategies at each time.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Picks 1-10[/TD][TD valign="top"]Picks 11-20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Picks 21-30[/TD][TD valign="top"]Total[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]01-08[/TD][TD valign="top"]8[/TD][TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]20[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]09-18[/TD][TD valign="top"]0[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"]3[/TD][TD valign="top"]5[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]19-now[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"]4[/TD]

The numbers were boosted from 01-08 by 2 start of first round priority picks. And as we were mostly competing from 09-18 we started with higher picks. And we won 3 flags in that time.

But now we are at a rebuilding phase we need as many top 30. It’s why I’m also hesitant to spend loads trying to move up this year.

From 09-18 it was all about topping up. Now to me it’s time to start laying foundations for our next premiership assault. Even with free agency no teams have succeeded by topping up. It’s all been built on a core of drafted talent.

As such, given the above numbers, our two bottom 5 finishes have been unsurprising. Despite the other goings on around the last two years.
Give the hawks an inch and we will take a mile 😎 anytime we get strong access to the draft we do pretty well.

Give the hawks an inch and we will take a mile 😎 anytime we get strong access to the draft we do pretty well.

Shockers and Superstars almost in even measure. if you are cracking 40-45%, even with solid players, you are ahead of the 'average'

Hodge Lewis Franklin Roughead Croad Harford v thorp Dowler brennan ellis McPharlin
Rioli Crawford Allan ladson Platten Smith Schoemakers Holland v Robran Lamb O'dwyer Obst Burton Elstone Muston Lovell

Shockers and Superstars almost in even measure. if you are cracking 40-45%, even with solid players, you are ahead of the 'average'

Hodge Lewis Franklin Roughead Croad Harford v thorp Dowler brennan ellis McPharlin
Rioli Crawford Allan ladson Platten Smith Schoemakers Holland v Robran Lamb O'dwyer Obst Burton Elstone Muston Lovell
Platten wasn’t drafted
Neither was Ben Allan

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Picks 1-10[/TD][TD valign="top"]Picks 11-20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Picks 21-30[/TD][TD valign="top"]Total[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]01-08[/TD][TD valign="top"]8[/TD][TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]20[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]09-18[/TD][TD valign="top"]0[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"]3[/TD][TD valign="top"]5[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]19-now[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"]4[/TD]

Well we have Scrimshaw, only 23? and was a pick 7. Got him for a bag of chips too.

Well we have Scrimshaw, only 23? and was a pick 7. Got him for a bag of chips too.
We have traded in a lot of top 10 picks including Silk, McEvoy, Wingard, O'Meara, Scrimmers and Tom who would have been if not for being a F/S selection. Gunston and Impey both top 30 selections.

But I think the point the original poster was trying to make was that premiership teams are built on a core of drafted (not traded) top end picks which we don't have (yet).

We have traded in a lot of top 10 picks including Silk, McEvoy, Wingard, O'Meara, Scrimmers and Tom who would have been if not for being a F/S selection. Gunston and Impey both top 30 selections.

But I think the point the original poster was trying to make was that premiership teams are built on a core of drafted (not traded) top end picks which we don't have (yet).
The caveat to this is that historically there have been significant barriers to player movement. So having a core of drafted players was the only model. You do need luck at the draft but shrewd trades, free agents and taking advantage of the additional opportunities to add players to your list will see different mix of sides emerge that go on to win premierships. Richmond don’t win a flag without Houli, Prestia and caddy. I’d say all three were core players in 2017. Naturally Martin, range and Cotchin were all drafted though and represent the very top end of their talent.

The caveat to this is that historically there have been significant barriers to player movement. So having a core of drafted players was the only model. You do need luck at the draft but shrewd trades, free agents and taking advantage of the additional opportunities to add players to your list will see different mix of sides emerge that go on to win premierships. Richmond don’t win a flag without Houli, Prestia and caddy. I’d say all three were core players in 2017. Naturally Martin, range and Cotchin were all drafted though and represent the very top end of their talent.
Agree. Likewise, we don't enjoy success without Silk, Hale, Gunston, Gibson and Lake

Platten wasn’t drafted
Neither was Ben Allan
Platten sort of was.

We selected him in the 1981 interstate draft but he chose not to come, when brown paper bags tried to get him on board I think we won the legal argument because that draft selection was recognised as meaning he was our player if he ever came to the VFL, even though it was 5 years later.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Likewise, we don't enjoy success without Silk, Hale, Gunston, Gibson and Lake
We don’t. I’m not against trading but we were adding these guys to Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughy, Lewis, Birch and Cyril. If you tried to add these players through trading you’d run out of trade capital very quickly trying to bring them in or broke through free agency.

Plus we had a number of other very important players. Smith drafted early but Hill, Shiels, poppy, Breust and Stratton with picks 30+.

This current list I’m not seeing the quality that we start building around. Instead we need to look to draft it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back