List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one I will be most closely watching out for is Maginess.
2022 must be his year.

I'm expecting big things from all of our 20 year olds next season. That's the age it tends to click for most kids (Day excepted). All things going well, I don't think there's anything really stopping us from repeating what Sydney did last season.

As I wrote in the OP of the draft thread, we had the tip off from the Pres if Box Hill that Hawthorn will keep a spot open for the SPP, and it seems there's already a favourite for the spot....we just have to wait to see who turns up at Box Hill training to work out who that is.

IN
Lynch (23)
O’Hara (19)
Ward (18)
Butler (18)
MacDonald (18)
Serong (18)
Long (18)
Average: 18.85

OUT

Burgoyne (38)
Brooksby (31)
Ceglar (30)
Hartley (28)
O’Brien (27)
Cousins (23)
Hanrahan (23)
Greaves (21)
Pepper (20)
Average: 26.80

As I wrote in the OP of the draft thread, we had the tip off from the Pres if Box Hill that Hawthorn will keep a spot open for the SPP, and it seems there's already a favourite for the spot....we just have to wait to see who turns up at Box Hill training to work out who that is.
Aducci?
Sammy loves the vocal players, the clubmen

IN
Max Lynch (23)
Bramble (23)
Ward (18)
Butler (18)
MacDonald (18)
Serong (18)
Long (18)
Newcombe (19)
Callow (19)

Average: 19.33

OUT

Burgoyne (38)
Brooksby (31)
Ceglar (30)
Scully (30)
Patton (28)
Hartley (28)
O’Brien (27)
Cousins (23)
Hanrahan (23)
Greaves (21)

Average: 27.9

I threw in a few extra to compare list lodgement 2020 to list lodgement 2021, and left out the non-playing Cat Bs

INs are one short on the OUTs until we either get a DFA, or the SSP

Last edited:
Looking at the KPD discussion and the possibility of Kosi moving back or Callow getting a long look as a kpd; the other guy who’s skills would translate very well is Jekka.
Personally, I recon he is a key piece to fill the long term CHF file but CHB would be a pretty awesome position for him if his work rate went through the roof. His skill set would be pretty attacking and on the rebound he could be used as a release player form deep defensive with his forward craft leading patterns.

If we had a defensive progression, with rose coloured on and potential in mind, for the end of next season or the year after looking something like this we will be in a pretty good space I recon.

Hardwick DGB CJ
Sicily Jekka Impey

Id have Day up the ground, Scrim on ball if you were wondering. Both more than capable to roll back if required.
If Callow works out as a KPD then DGB goes to CHB.
Time will tell

Looking at the KPD discussion and the possibility of Kosi moving back or Callow getting a long look as a kpd; the other guy who’s skills would translate very well is Jekka.
Personally, I recon he is a key piece to fill the long term CHF file but CHB would be a pretty awesome position for him if his work rate went through the roof. His skill set would be pretty attacking and on the rebound he could be used as a release player form deep defensive with his forward craft leading patterns.

If we had a defensive progression, with rose coloured on and potential in mind, for the end of next season or the year after looking something like this we will be in a pretty good space I recon.

Hardwick DGB CJ
Sicily Jekka Impey

Id have Day up the ground, Scrim on ball if you were wondering. Both more than capable to roll back if required.
If Callow works out as a KPD then DGB goes to CHB.
Time will tell
To me Jeka would have to massively improve his will to compete and 1-on-1 work for me to even consider him being a defender.

He’d concede a lot of goals to his direct opponent. It’s what was also holding him back from playing this year as a forward.

He has all the tools. It’s just up to him. But I see him solely as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the overall trade and draft window it feels as though certain young players where bought in as possible like for like replacements for our over 30 year olds:

Lynch for Big Boy if he retires in 12 months
Butler for Breust if he decides to take up the GWS offer in 12 months time to net us a 2nd rounder. Not quite like for like but play similar position
MacDonald for Shiels if he also moves on in 12 months time
Serong for Gunston is a bit of a stretch but with some luck if he becomes half as good then a handy squad player. If Gunston plays all year 2022 then if Mitch wants to move him we can probably get another 2nd rounder
Ward is fingers crossed the A grader and replaces O’meara who should net a 2nd rounder
Long speculative but has some size about him this kid so we watch in interest.

Mitch then has 12 months with this group to see what the next half decade looks like.
Then in 12 months time in Freeagency finds a 23-26 year old best 22 Full Back to replace Hartigan
Have 5 selections in the 1st 30 picks at next years national draft as above to get whatever holes he sees after 1 season of coaching the team

Come round 1 2023 it officially becomes his team with no trace of Clarko, no trace of premiership teammates and to a lesser extent no one over 30.

Sounds simple.. Ha Ha

Looking at the overall trade and draft window it feels as though certain young players where bought in as possible like for like replacements for our over 30 year olds:

Lynch for Big Boy if he retires in 12 months
Butler for Breust if he decides to take up the GWS offer in 12 months time to net us a 2nd rounder. Not quite like for like but play similar position
MacDonald for Shiels if he also moves on in 12 months time
Serong for Gunston is a bit of a stretch but with some luck if he becomes half as good then a handy squad player. If Gunston plays all year 2022 then if Mitch wants to move him we can probably get another 2nd rounder
Ward is fingers crossed the A grader and replaces O’meara who should net a 2nd rounder
Long speculative but has some size about him this kid so we watch in interest.

Mitch then has 12 months with this group to see what the next half decade looks like.
Then in 12 months time in Freeagency finds a 23-26 year old best 22 Full Back to replace Hartigan
Have 5 selections in the 1st 30 picks at next years national draft as above to get whatever holes he sees after 1 season of coaching the team

Come round 1 2023 it officially becomes his team with no trace of Clarko, no trace of premiership teammates and to a lesser extent no one over 30.

Sounds simple.. Ha Ha
Rather them retire as Hawks, helping bring the young kids up.

I'm not sure at this point mate, I just know we do have a list spot available to fill should we choose to do so.

We're keeping it open for the pre season supplementary period, which keeps our options open.

Right thing to do IMO. last season our list was 9th oldest in the league, so smack bang in the middle, be interesting to see where it ranks in 2022.

If it remains the same, third youngest.

Rather them retire as Hawks, helping bring the young kids up.
When top 10 players of the club all time in Hodge and Mitchell don’t retire as hawks makes a compelling precedent moving forward that the club should do whatever it needs to at the best interest of the club.
If Mitch feels after a year of coaching the group that to have the ultimate grip moving forward will be to move on Ex teammates then moving on the 4 I mentioned on my earlier post is the right thing to do no matter where they finish their careers.
The opposite can be true as well in keeping them on board to bring on the youngsters.
The point being is that if he believes it will be best to move on those players traditional motivations like retiring a 1 club player no longer rings true both from clubs and from the majority of players in this generation and beyond

When top 10 players of the club all time in Hodge and Mitchell don’t retire as hawks makes a compelling precedent moving forward that the club should do whatever it needs to at the best interest of the club.
If Mitch feels after a year of coaching the group that to have the ultimate grip moving forward will be to move on Ex teammates then moving on the 4 I mentioned on my earlier post is the right thing to do no matter where they finish their careers.
The opposite can be true as well in keeping them on board to bring on the youngsters.
The point being is that if he believes it will be best to move on those players traditional motivations like retiring a 1 club player no longer rings true both from clubs and from the majority of players in this generation and beyond
So Sam should do what Clarko did? Thought we were moving on from Clarko?

So Sam should do what Clarko did? Thought we were moving on from Clarko?
We'd be crazy (& all out of ideas) if we dumped everything Clarko did just because he did it though.

For a start, Clarko won Premierships - we don't wanna move on from that*!

*unless it's to 4-peat!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back