Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I tell you what, we are doing well when given draft picks no matter where they are found, based on last night pretty happy with dgb over McDonald, full faith in everyone at the club to outpick all the clubs around us this year no matter where we end up.

Did DGB play last night ? Must have missed it.

I thought this before last night, but seeing a few of the youngsters playing well just strengthens my thoughts, that we’re not necessarily 2 heavy drafts away from being more competitive(of course it's easier to say and see this when the intent is there on the field).

Like most I think we need more class in the middle, some more goalkicking power and a key defender.

We might have some of them already on the list though(S.Mitchell, Brockman, Downie, Callow, DGB, Jeka, Saunders), so we wait and see.

I really look forward to having Day, Sicily, Impey, Scrim and CJ all in one side, because I think we will start braining sides from the back half, particularly when we will have the option to throw one on the wing or forward just to throw other sides off at different stages.

But similarly to where our list was in 2004, we could really do with with 2x champions in the middle(Hodge & Mitchell), and I hope we can somehow pluck them out this year with Pick 2/3 and whatever else we have in the top 20.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought this before last night, but seeing a few of the youngsters playing well just strengthens my thoughts, that we’re not necessarily 2 drafts away from being more competitive.

Like most I think we need more class in the middle, some more goalkicking power and a key defender.

We might have some of them already on the list though(S.Mitchell, Brockman, Downie, Callow, DGB, Jeka, Saunders), so we wait and see.

I really look forward to having Day, Sicily, Impey, Scrim and CJ all in one side, because I think we will start braining sides from the back half, particularly when we will have the option to throw one on the wing or forward just to throw other sides off at different stages.

But similarly to where our list was in 2004, we could really do with with 2x champions in the middle(Hodge & Mitchell), and I hope we can do that somehow pluck them out this year with Pick 2/3 and whatever else we have in the top 20.
It's almost all there, once we get top end class this year - it's just patience now - while our new development set up goes to work. I'm amazed people haven't seen this. Too busy trying to blame the coach, rather then actually look at what we've been doing.

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Totally agree. We aren’t that far away. Also gunston in the front half. Him and breust are a case of 1+1=4, just make each other better. That clearly won’t last though so need the fwd quality coming through.

we show enough and change the media narrative, then all of a sudden merrett etc take a closer look.

we can turn this around with one (more) good draft.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I thought this before last night, but seeing a few of the youngsters playing well just strengthens my thoughts, that we’re not necessarily 2 drafts away from being more competitive.

But similarly to where our list was in 2004, we could really do with with 2x champions in the middle(Hodge & Mitchell), and I hope we can do that somehow pluck them out this year with Pick 2/3 and whatever else we have in the top 20.
Did you catch the bit in Clarko’s presser where he said that he thinks a debut for Callow isn’t far away? Found that very interesting for him to say that about a young guy. It’s been a long time he’s been so open and honest with the media about playing young kids. He hasn’t done this since he first started his reign with the HFC and to tell you truth I friggin like it.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have definitely uncovered some young players this year I am confident can be good AFL players: CJ, Kosi, now Newcombe. A couple others who have shown some positive signs in Reeves, Brockman and Jeka. I’d like to see more of them

Day and Scrimshaw are already good (as is CJ now).

What we still lack is the hardest thing to find though: that absolute top end talent (top 30 players in the game), especially in the midfield and forward of centre. The guys who win games of footy. That’s what separates top sides from the rest.

Given it is so hard to land that top end talent (even with very early picks), I still think we need a lot of good picks over the next two drafts to give ourselves the best chance of getting 1-2. Of those currently on the list, Day and CJ are the ones with that potential upside for me (not saying they will be that good but the two with some of the tools if they can develop further up the ground). DGB obviously unseen.

Hearing all the right noises about trading senior players to get better hand in draft

Did you catch the bit in Clarko’s presser where he said that he thinks a debut for Callow isn’t far away?
He said "hopefully he gets an opportunity". Not really the same thing.

This group going to have a fair say in our fortunes, going forward.

630C6AAA-A784-42E5-B55D-C0722F6F5E5F.jpeg

*Kosi at the back

Yeah, young Burgoyne is a real prospect for the future 😂
Dammit Bris. I was hoping no one would notice those bushy eyebrows. 😅

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Did you catch the bit in Clarko’s presser where he said that he thinks a debut for Callow isn’t far away? Found that very interesting for him to say that about a young guy. It’s been a long time he’s been so open and honest with the media about playing young kids. He hasn’t done this since he first started his reign with the HFC and to tell you truth I friggin like it.

Maybe the real why kids are being played this year is because he really doesn’t rate them at all he Brought in Reeves after a while, Kosi, Newcombe straight away and said Callow isn’t far away.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Basically it says the club won't 'sell the fabric of the club' and they'll have mature conversations will all players. Even though people are speculating, there's be no talk with Tom Mitchell or his manager. They know the club needs more top end talent and may use our second rounders to move up by packaging them but will use pick 2.
In n the presser when Clarko was questioned about Tom Mitchell and the trade talk his reaction was interesting. He had a chuckle to himself and to someone off screen then said basically that a 99% of trade talk is rubbish and 1% is true.
He seemed quite amused by the question.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In n the presser when Clarko was questioned about Tom Mitchell and the trade talk his reaction was interesting. He had a chuckle to himself and to someone off screen then said basically that a 99% of trade talk is rubbish and 1% is true.

He didn’t seem amused at all.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United

Still think it will happen needs to or someone else goes

JOM
Wingard
Mitchell

On of these guys need to be moved on

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
This group going to have a fair say in our fortunes, going forward.

View attachment 1153212

*Kosi at the back

A tall forward
A Small high half forward
A bulldozing midfielder
3 intercepting and attacking defenders with elite skills and/or speed

A few bases covered there. Plenty to be excited about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back