List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wingard is the one player with currency I am happy to trade.
For starters has hasn't been here long so I am not that attached to him. Secondly, reckon Carlton would give us their first pick.
The one player I would keep is Wingard. Quick thinking player who can play mid/forward - in four years time will be playing the Burgoyne role. Will help with the training of younger players and provide balance.

For Carlton or any team to get one of our front line players they would have to play them, well. Most teams have a raft of young talent that will soon require bigger contracts in Carlton's case - McKay and Walsh will need dollars on top of the money they are already paying Martin, Williams, Saad. So I don't think they are going to trade in further cap pressure. UNLESS we keep paying a portion of those salaries - which is ******* madness. So a little perspective - we are not trading the Chad

We could potentially manoeuvre 4 first rounders this year by trading those blokes.. Go through a couple of really hard years but building a team / list of elite top end talent.

Face the facts, we are going to be bottom 3 the next 4 years regardless. Unless Clarkson continues to buy some middle of the road free agents and we finish 12 for the next 4 years. And then bottom out.

All I’m saying is fast track the build, suffer hard for a couple of years.

Our opportunity was killed to rebuild properly buy buying O’Meara and Wingard.

We’ve made horrible trading decisions.

How else are we going to bring in multiple first rounders this year?
The only thing this plan does is make us a laughing stock for 30 years. I think you need to get off the red cordial

Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it’s been mentioned here but as we have heaps of cap room (and we can’t attract players across) we should be able to pay for a high profile player at another club in exchange for 1st round pick. Only for a year or so. It would mean we keep Chad, Mitchell etc to play with new draftees

i think he was bang on the money. You have your head in the clouds to think otherwise

So you'd trade out Mitchell, Breust and Gunston and bring in four first rounders??? Mate your head isn't in the clouds but it certainly is in other parts of your person

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you'd trade out Mitchell, Breust and Gunston and bring in four first rounders??? Mate your head isn't in the clouds but it certainly is in other parts of your person
Yeah I would, Mitchells disposal is terrible and he's coming off a Shoulder reco and a broken leg, Bruest hasn't had a kick all year and Gunston is coming off back surgery. The last two are also over 30. Problem is we won't get first rounders for them, Mitchell yes but the other 2 I would say only second rounders at best.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

If we aren't willing to trade players how do we get to the top end of the draft ? . Taking our one pick a year isn't cutting it . Over the next 3 years we need at least 8-10 top 20 picks.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I would, Mitchells disposal is terrible and he's coming off a Shoulder reco and a broken leg, Bruest hasn't had a kick all year and Gunston is coming off back surgery. The last two are also over 30. Problem is we won't get first rounders for them, Mitchell yes but the other 2 I would say only second rounders at best.
You have embarrassed yourself and shown you don’t actually watch Hawthorn games or even pick up the paper and look at the stats.

I think we need to look at some of our senior players, we all know the names, and see if we can package our picks in the 20s to get higher into the draft.

For example: Player X and pick 21 for pick 7.

Life doesn't work like that - want proof. Would you be happy if the Bulldogs came to us and said Libba and pick 16 for our pick 2? They would be laughed out of here. Reality in here seems to go astray. There's talk of delisting 5 or more players then trading out our better older players for more draft picks - so the draft picks are all going to play being led and taught on the field by the draft picks from the previous year - yeah good, I'm sure that will work out well

We need to bring in as many first round picks as possible. Trade all or as many of these blokes as possibly can and bring in as much as possible. Obviously don't trade them for nothing.
- Tom Mitchell
- Luke Breust
- Jack Gunston (We could have traded this bloke last year for Collingwoods 2021 first ound pick)
- Jaegar O'Meara
- Chad Wingard
If Clarko doesn't like this idea, sack him and bring Sam Mitchell in as senior coach.

FFS!! Why would you do that for!!!!

You would be left with a team of 18 year old coached by a rookie!!!!

Gold Coast and GWS with their teams of first rounders have done sweet FA!!! (And thats with Ole Gil support) Do you honestly see Ole Gil giving us a leg up after with priority picks for being crap and full of 1st rounders after trading out the names you mentioned!!!!

Melb and Carlton who have bottomed out have not been relevant this century!!! North will be the same, if they survive!!!!

JUST CRAZY TALK I TELL YA!!!!

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Life doesn't work like that - want proof. Would you be happy if the Bulldogs came to us and said Libba and pick 16 for our pick 2? They would be laughed out of here. Reality in here seems to go astray. There's talk of delisting 5 or more players then trading out our better older players for more draft picks - so the draft picks are all going to play being led and taught on the field by the draft picks from the previous year - yeah good, I'm sure that will work out well

No, I wouldn't. But I don't think any bottom four club would be looking at trading their pick out. The point, more apt, is what if it was Tom Mitchell and pick 20 to Fremantle for pick 7? What if it was Wingard and pick 21 to the Giants for pick 8? Would the blues or saints be interested in a lead up forward like Gunston?

Don't get bogged down on these, I'm using it as an example. But the point is some teams that have taken a number of high quality kids in the past few drafts, and feel they can push for finals in 2022, may be interested in trading out their first pick for a player they think can improve them in the immediate. Like the Blues did in recruiting Saad this year.

As for the other comment, I suggest you to do some research into the number of first round draft picks we took between 2004 and 2006. It's been posted on this board.

We currently have two first round picks on our list, three if you add Scrimshaw, that are under 25. Well short of what we had when we last went through a rebuild. If we take one a year, it would be another 6 drafts before we had the same amount of first round picks on our list as we did in 2006...

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeah this is the one.

It's super appealing to think of list management like Career Mode but so much can go wrong if we were to 'blow it up'.

I can get on board with trading one of Mitchell, Gunston, Wingard, Bruest or JOM if they were keen for a flag tilt and a contender offered us fair or above value. However, we lose a lot more than on field output with the standards set, leadership and insights into being an AFL footy player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was gonna trade anyone from this lineup it'd be Mitchell or Worpel. You'd get more for Mitchell, if it helped us bring across a player with more outside ability it'd be a net positive.

He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but he attacks the ball first and foremost and disrupts other players in our midfield.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I was gonna trade anyone from this lineup it'd be Mitchell or Worpel. You'd get more for Mitchell, if it helped us bring across a player with more outside ability it'd be a net positive.

He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but he attacks the ball first and foremost and disrupts other players in our midfield.
We must keep Worpel he is our future leader.

Trade Tom Mitchell and yes he is worth a first round pick.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have heard again that the Saints are going hard for Sicily. Two first round picks with one of our second rounders going back.

Is this a reliable source mate? Sicily is exactly what they are lacking. Obviously the Ratten connection.

Very interesting if true.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have heard again that the Saints are going hard for Sicily. Two first round picks with one of our second rounders going back.
Does not make any sense for them. Their cap is screwed and players always take 12 months to get back to their best after a knee so they could wait the 12 months and pick him up then as fa if they could actually convince him to leave us.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Mixed, has gotten some peculiar things right, and a bit wrong.

Seems logical for the Saints, but I'm against it. Our best player when fit.

we've gone through Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Birchall and Buddy all leaving

but this would be one I'd really struggle to stomach. He is one of about 3 shining lights on our list atm. Watching him play is a joy

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Not saying we should trade any of them but you're crazy if you think that either of Gunston or Breust wouldn't fetch another teams 1st rounder. I'm not talking about a rebuilding team but rather a contending team which would likely have the pick fall between 10 and 17. Any contender would jump at the chance to add either of those two similar to how we brought in Silk all those years ago.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No club is giving up a meaningful first round pick for Tom Mitchell. The broken leg cruelled his career and he was a guy that was already challenged with the physical aspects of football before then. I think the ship could have also sailed on getting a first round pick for Bruest or Gunston too. We've had chances when they were younger and playing better footy and didn't take them. Outside of some of our young talent, I think we almost have zero trade currency at present to assist in building the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back