List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I remember Peter Lyon

Lyon played with Eaglehawk originally, then went across to Deniliquin in 1961 and played in a losing grand final again Cobram. Lyon shared the 1961 Murray Football League O'Dwyer Medal with Cobram coach, Les Mogg.[1] Lyon then returned to Eaglehawk in 1962, before heading to Hawthorn in 1963.

Lyon came off the bench in the 1963 VFL Grand Final, which Hawthorn lost to Geelong. He could only break into the seniors three times the following year.

A centreman, Lyon spent the next three seasons as playing coach of Devonport. He represented both the North West Football Union and Tasmanian representative teams, winning the Alstergen Trophy in 1967 for his performance with the former.

Lyon later coached Kyabram to the 1975 Goulburn Valley Football League premiership.[2]
Peter had an aura about him, and was a very good coach. Coached myself in under 18’s.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been really impressed by the number of kids whove shown a bit this year. I think over the last 2-3 years we've had a few kids do some exciting things in the VFL but this year has been something else. And this despite probably our best kid - Will Day, missing a chunk of the season so far.

- CJ has really been amazing considering this is his first full season in the 1s.
- Kossie as a young KPF has been fantastic considering he's only been a KPF in the AFL for half a season.
- Newcombe speaks for himself. Really enjoyed watching his debut.
- Reeves is one im most excited about. He's developed so quickly for a ruckman and had the kind of impact at AFL level that has me hoping we've found our Sandilands/Gawn. Long way to go but he has something special IMO.
- Jeka has far exceeded my expectations when we drafted him. You hear good things about guys in the VFL and you take it with a grain of salt, but he seems to be another great prospect who could be our best key forward eventually.
- Brockman was very impressive to debut so early. Has some tricks.
- Moore hasn't had the impact of CJ or Kossie but he's obviously doing something right to have played so much this year. May not be a star but could be a solid soldier for our next premiership tilt.
- I'm also hearing good things about Saunders, Mitchell, Bramble and obviously DGB which is just so bloody good considering where we're at this year.

I hope Finn, Downie, Morris, Greaves, Callow and Pepper can show the same rate of development that some of the above have shown. If they can then we literally have the injection of young talent needed to form the nucleus of our next tilt for silverware. Excitingly almost none of these blokes have been high picks, and we should be adding a bunch at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Rowie6

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2007
East Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Ham United,Green Bay Packers.
Yes I remember Peter Lyon

Lyon played with Eaglehawk originally, then went across to Deniliquin in 1961 and played in a losing grand final again Cobram. Lyon shared the 1961 Murray Football League O'Dwyer Medal with Cobram coach, Les Mogg.[1] Lyon then returned to Eaglehawk in 1962, before heading to Hawthorn in 1963.

Lyon came off the bench in the 1963 VFL Grand Final, which Hawthorn lost to Geelong. He could only break into the seniors three times the following year.

A centreman, Lyon spent the next three seasons as playing coach of Devonport. He represented both the North West Football Union and Tasmanian representative teams, winning the Alstergen Trophy in 1967 for his performance with the former.

Lyon later coached Kyabram to the 1975 Goulburn Valley Football League premiership.[2]

Peter Lyon also played for Mortlake in the Hampden league I am not sure how many seasons ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I've been really impressed by the number of kids whove shown a bit this year. I think over the last 2-3 years we've had a few kids do some exciting things in the VFL but this year has been something else. And this despite probably our best kid - Will Day, missing a chunk of the season so far.

- CJ has really been amazing considering this is his first full season in the 1s.
- Kossie as a young KPF has been fantastic considering he's only been a KPF in the AFL for half a season.
- Reeves is one im most excited about. He's developed so quickly for a ruckman and had the kind of impact at AFL level that has me hoping we've found our Sandilands/Gawn. Long way to go but he has something special IMO.
- Jeka has far exceeded my expectations when we drafted him. You hear good things about guys in the VFL and you take it with a grain of salt, but he seems to be another great prospect who could be our best key forward eventually.
- Moore hasn't had the impact of CJ or Kossie but he's obviously doing something right to have played so much this year. May not be a star but could be a solid soldier for our next premiership tilt.
- I'm also hearing good things about Saunders, Mitchell, Bramble and obviously DGB which is just so bloody good considering where we're at this year.

I hope Finn, Downie, Morris, Greaves, Callow and Pepper can show the same rate of development that some of the above have shown. If they can then we literally have the injection of young talent needed to form the nucleus of our next tilt for silverware. Excitingly almost none of these blokes have been high picks, and we should be adding a bunch at the end of the year.

I think Morrison also worthy of a mention. Has added a little more grit to his game. Scrimshaw has also taken a step forward having freed himself on ongoing niggles.

Classic media. One win and suddenly we have a promising future after it's all been doom and gloom.

No mention of Hardwick, Worpel or Moore who all played the other night or Reeves and Brockman who didn't just to name a couple either. We've got a fair bit to work with.
Our back line is already number 2 in the comp for rebound 50’s. Granted it comes in a lot, but that’s still good going.

It excites me thinking what we’re going to be doing in 12 months time with Sicily and DGB back there in addition to Day, Scrim and CJ.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Can we be so optimistic after a loss too?

It's the same list no matter the win/loss result on the weekend.

The future is there, it will just take time. The kids will be inconsistent
Yep true but without trying to sound like a smart arse, the boys ' unfortunately' have been very consistent this year.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Our back line is already number 2 in the comp for rebound 50’s. Granted it comes in a lot, but that’s still good going.

It excites me thinking what we’re going to be doing in 12 months time with Sicily and DGB back there in addition to Day, Scrim and CJ.

With guys like Dimma, Impey and Frost as well, and hopefully Downie and Pepper developing too, if we can grab a gorilla key defender in the next draft, we are set in the back half.

With guys like Dimma, Impey and Frost as well, and hopefully Downie and Pepper developing too, if we can grab a gorilla key defender in the next draft, we are set in the back half.
I'd rather trade for a 21-24yr old, who has shown form but lacking opportunity. Someone like Harry Edwards from West Coast Eagles.

Drafting one at 18yrs (even with a very good pick) is still pretty hit/miss.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd rather trade for a 21-24yr old, who has shown form but lacking opportunity. Someone like Harry Edwards from West Coast Eagles.

Drafting one at 18yrs (even with a very good pick) is still pretty hit/miss.
Harry Edwards is a really good shout. He's close to, if not is that 200cm size too, which helps us with playing against the McKay, Lynch, King type forwards. We don't really have a key back for those players at the moment

Hawker1167

All Australian
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

i get real Kennedy vibe with Finn and god I hope I’m wrong - would hate to see him tear it up at another club

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i get real Kennedy vibe with Finn and god I hope I’m wrong - would hate to see him tear it up at another club
Kennedy was too good for VFL but being deprived of AFL opportunities in a very strong midfield. Finn can barely touch it at VFL and can’t break into a dysfunctional midfield. At the moment the similarities end at them being father sons

If anyone on our list as a midfielder was half going ok they would get a game this year (mind you he's played 2 games this year).

Looks like Newcombe has already gone past him.

If Finn was good enough, he'd be playing. Not the same situation as JPK.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn had been asked repeatedly to play as a tagger, which is a role that was not familiar to him. He has done a very good job week after week, based on Mitchell's own words - and Mitchell isn't one to offer praise lightly.

This criticism of Finn is over the top.
Why are they asking to to play as a tagger when we don't ever tag anybody?
Seems a strange way to teach a young player and it hasn't worked so far.

Cannyman

Debutant
Jun 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn had been asked repeatedly to play as a tagger, which is a role that was not familiar to him. He has done a very good job week after week, based on Mitchell's own words - and Mitchell isn't one to offer praise lightly.

Would you rather Cousins or Finn on the list next year?

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Why are they asking to to play as a tagger when we don't ever tag anybody?
Seems a strange way to teach a young player and it hasn't worked so far.

Tagging teaches young guys how the champion players find the footy as well as developing their defensive game amongst other things.

If anyone on our list as a midfielder was half going ok they would get a game this year (mind you he's played 2 games this year).

Looks like Newcombe has already gone past him.

If Finn was good enough, he'd be playing. Not the same situation as JPK.

Seems bramble has also gone past him.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tagging teaches young guys how the champion players find the footy as well as developing their defensive game amongst other things.
Shadowing a top player is much more useful towards that aim than tagging, which has the primary aim of depriving an opposition player of the ball.

The Cleaner

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The criticism of Finn is entirely indicative of where he’s at right now. What’s over the top is so many on this board endlessly defending him based on pedigree alone. We all want him to succeed, some of us are just being realistic.

Go read Mitchell’s feedback on him again. He’s hardly “done a very good job every week” – this is a misleading summation.

In several interviews both Mitch and Clarko have stated that Finn struggles to find the ball AND has a defensive game that needs work. He was given defensive roles to add discipline to his game and learn from some good opposition mids.

If you still don’t believe those here who watch a lot of training and VFL footy, try watching Finn yourself. He rarely stands out at VFL level. It’s telling that a guy like Newcombe stuck out at VFL level after a handful of games. Or that someone like Howe goes back and dominates at VFL level. Finn simply does not.

We’ve been desperate for midfielders at AFL level. So desperate that we’ve rushed in both Newcombe and Bramble while Finn continues to toil away at BHH. You can either choose to believe that he’s actually been “very good” and unfairly criticised – or you can respect the Hawthorn footy department who have ten times more data than us, and don’t believe he’s worthy of a spot in a struggling team right now.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
The criticism of Finn is entirely indicative of where he’s at right now. What’s over the top is so many on this board endlessly defending him based on pedigree alone. We all want him to succeed, some of us are just being realistic.

Go read Mitchell’s feedback on him again. He’s hardly “done a very good job every week” – this is a misleading summation.

In several interviews both Mitch and Clarko have stated that Finn struggles to find the ball AND has a defensive game that needs work. He was given defensive roles to add discipline to his game and learn from some good opposition mids.

If you still don’t believe those here who watch a lot of training and VFL footy, try watching Finn yourself. He rarely stands out at VFL level. It’s telling that a guy like Newcombe stuck out at VFL level after a handful of games. Or that someone like Howe goes back and dominates at VFL level. Finn simply does not.

We’ve been desperate for midfielders at AFL level. So desperate that we’ve rushed in both Newcombe and Bramble while Finn continues to toil away at BHH. You can either choose to believe that he’s actually been “very good” and unfairly criticised – or you can respect the Hawthorn footy department who have ten times more data than us, and don’t believe he’s worthy of a spot in a struggling team right now.

Finn Maginness
"Finn played a more balanced role this week, with no tagging responsibilities. He found the game a bit difficult but he did get better as the game progressed."

Finn Maginness (21 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles)
"He started in a midfield defensive role with a little bit more freedom. He lowered his colours early though so he was moved into defence. Once he found his bearings, he had some strong moments behind the ball as a defender."

Finn Maginness (14 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles)
"He tagged Will Phillips. Both of them had possessions in the teens. His ability to play a tagging role whilst also playing within the team structure has improved. He will continue to grow in this role of being able to negate a strong opposition player with time."

Finn Maginness (6 disposals, 1 mark, 8 tackles)
"Finn did another really pleasing tagging job. He was able to keep his opponent to eight or nine possessions through the first three quarters before moving to defence in the last quarter to try and change things up. He has had a good month."

Finn Maginness
"Finn again did a tagging role for us this week, he was outstanding again. Each week he has been able to build his own possessions tally but at the same time he is so diligent in being able to play his tagging role and his opposition player has barely been able to get a look in. He's been causing all sorts of mayhem for opposition sides lately."

Finn Maginness
"Another strong defensive role on Paul Ahern, keeping him to just six disposals in the first three quarters. His ability to defend first but then make an impact offensively improved this week. His last two weeks have been very pleasing."

Finn Maginness
"Finn did a tagging role on Richmond midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins. He was outstanding in the role. His development as a player to progress his football is to try and shut a player down, then work off him to gain some footy himself. So, we will continue to progress his roles in this area over the coming weeks. But we were really pleased with his diligence and discipline in executing his role."

Finn Maginness
"He found a bit of the footy whilst playing a bit of a defensive role on one of the Essendon midfielders. His work ethic continues to be impressive. We are trying to aid his development and education with a few defensive-minded roles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back