List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering what people think of Boyd Woodcock?

Has not been offered a contract yet at Port Adelaide (told he is 50/50) so may be available for free as a DFA

Is a nippy, elusive 21 year old small forward who reminds me a fair bit of Brockman.

Stats not amazing (again, similar to Brockman) and they don't suggest he is an elite pressure player either (ave 12 pressure acts, same as Brocky, 16 our leaders in Moore and Breust, 20 the comp leaders). Am told by Port fans he pressures well.

Racks up the ball at SANFL level in the midfield but can be indecisive (shades of Ollie who was just delisted?). Draft and AFL highlights look good but anyone looks good in a highlights package (except Max Lynch :tongueoutv1:).

As you can tell - I'm no expert on him but I remember being impressed in his 2nd game against Richmond last year (top of the table clash) and in a couple of his early games this year. Could he be a cheap, young small forward option or not AFL standard?

He has something. Ottens and Sam have both made comment on much he developed this year.

speed, aggression, desperation, and he hits targets inside 50.
The only thing I have a question over is his agility - seems poor for his size.
That shouldn't stop him from becoming a good role player though.
Outside mid/Half forward.

In: Max Lynch(23)

Out: Hanrahan(23), Ceglar(30), O'Brien(27), Burgoyne(38), Cousins(23), Greaves(21), Brooksby(31), Pepper(20), Hartley(28), Patton(28), Scully(30)
When you read the players names in a group like that it is pretty much all dead wood isn't it. Ollie Pepper Greaves never set the world on fire. No regrets there.

Was wondering what people think of Boyd Woodcock?

Has not been offered a contract yet at Port Adelaide (told he is 50/50) so may be available for free as a DFA

Is a nippy, elusive 21 year old small forward who reminds me a fair bit of Brockman.

Stats not amazing (again, similar to Brockman) and they don't suggest he is an elite pressure player either (ave 12 pressure acts, same as Brocky, 16 our leaders in Moore and Breust, 20 the comp leaders). Am told by Port fans he pressures well.

Racks up the ball at SANFL level in the midfield but can be indecisive (shades of Ollie who was just delisted?). Draft and AFL highlights look good but anyone looks good in a highlights package (except Max Lynch :tongueoutv1:).

As you can tell - I'm no expert on him but I remember being impressed in his 2nd game against Richmond last year (top of the table clash) and in a couple of his early games this year. Could he be a cheap, young small forward option or not AFL standard?
Don't mind him at all.

In the next few years how do we add ?

1 x FB

2 x Dynamic mids

1x Ruck to hold it down for 8-10 years

1 x No 1 key forward

1 x Pressure small forward.
Fb = free agency or role player.
Dynamic mids = draft now, free agent/trade later
Ruck = reeves
Key forward = hard. if none of the ones we have full that role we are going to have to luck one in the draft somewhere. Free agents are very rare but they do occasionally go. Cost big in wages if you can even overcome the trade match barrier. And trading one will cost a bomb.
small forward = draft. Throw enough darts at fast players with a bit of mongrel and we will find one eventually. I think the class will come from brockman and seamus. Moore looking good also but not got the pace for a pressure forward.

speed, aggression, desperation, and he hits targets inside 50.
The only thing I have a question over is his agility - seems poor for his size.
That shouldn't stop him from becoming a good role player though.
Outside mid/Half forward.
Can u elaborate on the poor agility thing a bit more pls? The way he stepped around a couple at ikon Park suggests its fine to me.

Am I the only one who thinks Brockman had the potential to be our small pressure forward as well as a marking option? I'm not going as far as to call it now, but he had a few moments this season where he harassed the opposition into a turnover and I felt like if the club put time into developing it further he could be a super offensive/defensive weapon.

Saunders had a few VFL moments that made me feel the same way. Our future small pressure forward may already be on our list. If Moore continues and Seamus comes on then we have the attacking smalls coveted.

Am I the only one who thinks Brockman had the potential to be our small pressure forward as well as a marking option? I'm not going as far as to call it now, but he had a few moments this season where he harassed the opposition into a turnover and I felt like if the club put time into developing it further he could be a super offensive/defensive weapon.
I see him as a bit of a clone of Mark Williams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's passage of play there where you think how did he go in the rookie draft :think:

His kicking seems to have been his biggest flaw leading up to the draft, after that there were questions as to what his best position would be.

Whilst I acknowledge they are highlights - his kicking looked quite good there. Certainly seems that it's something he's been working in. Never mind the pace and tenacity which he has plenty of.

Saunders had a few VFL moments that made me feel the same way. Our future small pressure forward may already be on our list. If Moore continues and Seamus comes on then we have the attacking smalls coveted.

More akin to Breust than Puopolo or Rioli, IMO.

Past tense? Written him off already, Backhawk? 😂

Fb = free agency or role player.
Dynamic mids = draft now, free agent/trade later
Ruck = reeves
Key forward = hard. if none of the ones we have full that role we are going to have to luck one in the draft somewhere. Free agents are very rare but they do occasionally go. Cost big in wages if you can even overcome the trade match barrier. And trading one will cost a bomb.
small forward = draft. Throw enough darts at fast players with a bit of mongrel and we will find one eventually. I think the class will come from brockman and seamus. Moore looking good also but not got the pace for a pressure forward.

Ideally Callow comes on and develops as a FB, to the point he can take over in a year or two.

But if that doesn't happen then I hope Frost transitions into the FB role over the next year or so. We have enough quality defenders that we need to fit in, so I'm hoping we don't have two of Frost or Hartigan in the same team for much longer.

The potential skill level of our backline is elite, but both Frost and Hartigan are liabilities with the ball.

Midfielders - we will need to draft. Currently we only have Worpel as a proven young midfielder, and his ceiling is questionable, as in not AFL elite. Nash and Duke show promise, but after that we really have no exposed form for Finn, Downie, Day (in the middle). So drafting is key here. Never thought I'd be saying this, but Nash could become that physically dynamic midfielder.

Rucks - give Reeves and Max time and bring in old backups once Big Boy retires.

KPF - Just have to hope that Kosi, Lewis and Jeka develop into quality options. Historically the odds are against them, but Lewis and Kosi both showed that they can contribute at the AFL level, and Jeka seems to be the most talented of the bunch.

I saw North are considering adding Lynch from the Crows onto their Rookie list but using him as a coach.

Given we are paying Clarko a huge amount of money to travel the US. And we have so many list spots, can we Rookie list Clarko? First $85k is then outside the cap (I think) then the rest of his money goes into football cap where we supposedly have plenty of room. Which then reduces any issues of overspending on the football department soft cap for 2022.

I saw North are considering adding Lynch from the Crows onto their Rookie list but using him as a coach.

Given we are paying Clarko a huge amount of money to travel the US. And we have so many list spots, can we Rookie list Clarko? First $85k is then outside the cap (I think) then the rest of his money goes into football cap where we supposedly have plenty of room. Which then reduces any issues of overspending on the football department soft cap for 2022.
As a player, he lacks polish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back