List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before any DFAs get selected, there are only 67 available list spots across the AFL....so pick 81 will come down 20 spots or so on draft night....
Might only be 55 live picks once all the bids come in.

I suspect we will upgrade 2 players off the rookie list and take 1 player in the preseason supplementary period and one during the mid season draft, if the VFL can get a proper season under way a few slider from the past 2 drafts should be shaken out.

I'm just waiting for the answer to the most important question...

When do we open the 2022 pre-season training thread... there's people training already! The house could be down... we wouldn't even know!

We need axeman to take a trip round the block, the house could be down AND the lid could be off and we would be none the wiser!

Might only be 55 live picks once all the bids come in.

I suspect we will upgrade 2 players off the rookie list and take 1 player in the preseason supplementary period and one during the mid season draft, if the VFL can get a proper season under way a few slider from the past 2 drafts should be shaken out.

Given the potential upside, I would be keeping two picks for the mid season draft. So many kids will have the opportunity to have significantly developed that has been un-noticed.

I feel like I've read somewhere that both Moore and Bramble are being elevated. I could be wrong.

I'd say both are likely to be kept on the rookie list for accounting purposes ($80k each is excluded from the salary cap)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're definitely not hard pressed for cap space, we may actually need their salaries to make the cap minimum haha

Could possibly mean that we'll front end a bunch of contract extensions this season to give us even more flexibility for next year's Free Agent crop, which looks a hell of alot better than this one's.

Didn’t want to bog down the predictions thread, but I just don’t know how you could look at our best 22, and say we’re a bottom 4 side.

The very reason there was a media pile on when we did not trade out senior players was because of the thought that we now will finish outside of the top end of the draft in 2022, resulting in being a “middling” side that can’t add the best of the best from the draft because we will win too many games.

When I see people saying we’ll win the spoon, I can only assume they are really just hoping that’s the case.

I expect that we’ll see Sheils, Howe and Morrison squeezed out at times in 2022, and that we’ll fatten the same players we spoke of this trade period just gone, for another trade period, albeit we’re going to be getting less for them.
Lots of talk of potential and ifs in the off-season, but we’ve got quite a lot of players with upside that we should be bullish on in 2022.

Didn’t want to bog down the predictions thread, but I just don’t know how you could look at our best 22, and say we’re a bottom 4 side.

The very reason there was a media pile on when we did not trade out senior players was because of the thought that we now will finish outside of the top end of the draft in 2022, resulting in being a “middling” side that can’t add the best of the best from the draft because we will win too many games.

When I see people saying we’ll win the spoon, I can only assume they are really just hoping that’s the case.

I expect that we’ll see Sheils, Howe and Morrison squeezed out at times in 2022, and that we’ll fatten the same players we spoke of this trade period just gone, for another trade period, albeit we’re going to be getting less for them.
Lots of talk of potential and ifs in the off-season, but we’ve got quite a lot of players with upside that we should be bullish on in 2022.

It would be an absolute catastrophe if we went out next year and won the spoon with a team containing the likes of Sicily, Breust, Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara and Wingard. Those are all guys that are AA quality with a year of their proven best football.

It would be an absolute catastrophe if we went out next year and won the spoon with a team containing the likes of Sicily, Breust, Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara and Wingard. Those are all guys that are AA quality with a year of their proven best football.
Everyone of our under 24’s would have to go backwards, and we’d need to cop a bunch of injuries too.

Everyone of our under 24’s would have to go backwards, and we’d need to cop a bunch of injuries too.

A bunch of them broke out this season (Moore, Kosi, CJ, Bramble in particular). Even if they all stagnate together (unlikely) we should be covering that with the inclusions of Sicily, Day and Gunston and the development of others. As a result I'd say 8 wins should be our absolute floor in 2022.

I think it's clear we will be rebeuilding our midfield, which will probably take around 4 years at the minimum to draft them, and get them to at least 60 games quickly.

I find it bizaare we have kept all of our older players, when by then in 2024 will all be coming to the end of their careers, we still have heaps of experience, almost too much.

How do we build an dominating midfield, without accessing top 5 picks?

I think it's clear we will be rebeuilding our midfield, which will probably take around 4 years at the minimum to draft them, and get them to at least 60 games quickly.

I find it bizaare we have kept all of our older players, when by then in 2024 will all be coming to the end of their careers, we still have heaps of experience, almost too much.

How do you trade people that don’t want to leave?

The simple answer to your question is that you pick the eyes out of the draft and you attract others via trade and FA.

But as I posted above I have zero doubt a couple of our players will be tabled again next year, and used to either get a pick trade done or to trade up.

Won't be any easy job being a selector next season.

How do you trade people that don’t want to leave?

The simple answer to your question is that you pick the eyes out of the draft and you attract others via trade and FA.

But as I posted above I have zero doubt a couple of our players will be tabled again next year, and used to either get a pick trade done or to trade up.
To be realistic though, by end of next year, will Wingard, Mitchell, O'Meara have any value? Probably a second rounder, could have gotten a better deal this year, even if its tough when their contracted.

I feel we are in an awkward position, of treading water as our stars will keep us in contention without truly challenging, without getting the pick of the bunch in the draft, will North be angry that they did not get 2 more wins and miss out on Horne? No his addition, alongside their midfield will probably make them a top 4 side eventually in 2026.

To be realistic though, by end of next year, will Wingard, Mitchell, O'Meara have any value? Probably a second rounder, could have gotten a better deal this year, even if its tough when their contracted.

I feel we are in an awkward position, of treading water as our stars will keep us in contention without truly challenging, without getting the pick of the bunch in the draft, will North be angry that they did not get 2 more wins and miss out on Horne? No his addition, alongside their midfield will probably make them a top 4 side eventually in 2026.

Looking at our position strictly through a statistical lense, the club needs to find a way to attain more elite talent via top-10 draft selections - looking at all premiership lists, it's abundantly clear there's a certain quota that needs to be acquired.

You don't need access to top 5 picks, you can win a final and still have pick 14. All the players below were taken at 12+

2013: Merrett, Cripps, Amon, Crouch
2014: Heeney, Steele, Miller, Daniels
2015: Dunkley, Menegola, Dawson
2016: Jy Simpkin, Florent, Perryman, Cumming
2017: Bailey, Kelly, Worpel
2018: Butters

Last edited:
You don't need access to top 5 picks, you can win a final and still have pick 14. All the players below were taken at 12+

2013: Merrett, Cripps, Amon, Crouch
2014: Heeney, Steele, Miller, Daniels
2015: Dunkley, Menegola
2016: Jy Simpkin, Florent, Perryman, Cumming
2017: Bailey, Kelly, Worpel
2018: Butters
I'm talking about winning a premiership and multiple ones in a 6 year period of success, not just one final. A series of dominance.

I think you will find every premiership team, has multiple top 5 and 10 picks in their midfield, just look at Dees (4) and Dogs(4).

People saying we don't need top 10 picks is like, people saying we would have still have had our 4 premierships between 08-15, without Lewis, Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, by simply taking players above pick 10.....

Until we get a group of at least 2 top 10 players, it's going to be hard to truly challenge for a sustained period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back