List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOM or Sic?
We need to go through a proper and considered process 😁😁

Not Sic. Already got enough to deal with returning from a knee. I think the doubt over Gunners rules him out too.

Mitchell or Jaegar. I would be in the minority but would select Mitchell.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We also got Gibson, Lake and Hale for next to nothing as well. These guys played an extremely important part in our flag wins. But as you said these guys are bonuses. You can’t rely and build off these sorts of picks.

You just try to keep your eyes open and grab them when they pop up. Like we should have with Amon. They give you that extra little bit to get over the top.
Bruh. He's a pick 7 who was 21 when we got him, not even close to comparable to those players who are more add ons to a core rather than THE CORE.

Scrimshaw is exactly that, a young core piece for us.

We need to go through a proper and considered process 😁😁

Not Sic. Already got enough to deal with returning from a knee. I think the doubt over Gunners rules him out too.

Mitchell or Jaegar. I would be in the minority but would select Mitchell.
I’d be shocked if they did it again this year considering the work that goes into it.

Regardless, does anyone know if the players choose the captain voting system is a club thing or a clarko thing?

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
"Dean credited a good relationship with former Williamstown coach Andy Collins with getting him to the Seagulls and said new coach Justin Plapp and a couple of other defensive recruits had helped him develop his game to the brink of AFL footy.

“Growing up I played junior football for South Melbourne (Districts) with Tom Collins, who is Andy Collins’ son, so I had a great relationship with ‘Collo’ and speaking to him after my under-18s year, (signing with Williamstown) was a no-brainer in the end,” he said."

From AFL.com.au.

I am sure we will get the inside track on him from Collo and wouldn't be surprised if we looked at him late or as a rookie.
I would have thought we would, but with Jones retiring, Carlton may pick him up before us. They have 6 picks between 24 and 59. We won't get Alleer, Port have grabbed Sam Skinner and it appears that Blake Schlensog is going to end up back at Geelong. Unfortunately, it looks like we might miss out on a value late pick for a big KPD this year.

RobHawk

All Australian
May 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I would have thought we would, but with Jones retiring, Carlton may pick him up before us. They have 6 picks between 24 and 59. We won't get Alleer, Port have grabbed Sam Skinner and it appears that Blake Schlensog is going to end up back at Geelong. Unfortunately, it looks like we might miss out on a value late pick for a big KPD this year.
This is simply wrong.Carlton has pick 25 and then its next pick is 64.We have pick 59.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bruh. He's a pick 7 who was 21 when we got him, not even close to comparable to those players who are more add ons to a core rather than THE CORE.

Scrimshaw is exactly that, a young core piece for us.
Scrimshaw has lots of talent. But performances so far suggest he’s at the level of an add-on piece. More at a Smith/Hill level than the next couple of steps up that we desperately need.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scrimshaw has lots of talent. But performances so far suggest he’s at the level of an add-on piece. More at a Smith/Hill level than the next couple of steps up that we desperately need.
Smith was absolutely core. Best wingman in the game and a big game performer. We went from plodders to a quick ball moving side by virtually adding smith. Hill topped us up for speed and those two dragged defences apart.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah disagree. Can see him pushing up and being dominant as a midfielder.

Played a game against Norf higher up as a mid/back of stoppage, was clean below his knees, good in traffic, hand and just evaded everyone and everything and was lacing out our forwards right and left footed.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith was absolutely core. Best wingman in the game and a big game performer. We went from plodders to a quick ball moving side by virtually adding smith. Hill topped us up for speed and those two dragged defences apart.
To me, Smith added speed that we were lacking around the ground alongside hill. But as important as he was structurally I always had him down the list of our best players.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Played a game against Norf higher up as a mid/back of stoppage, was clean below his knees, good in traffic, hand and just evaded everyone and everything and was lacing out our forwards right and left footed.
He might end up doing that’s but until it happens with any sort of consistency, I’ve got him as a HBF.

I think he will get way too exposed in the middle.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me, Smith added speed that we were lacking around the ground alongside hill. But as important as he was structurally I always had him down the list of our best players.
From 2013-2020 smith finished 10,5,9,6,5,3,12,12in the bnf. Missed a few with injuries in 2019 and quite a few in 2020. 2013 was his third season in the afl and through 2013-2018 he had 4 top 6 finishes in six years. We won three flags and finished top four in the home and away twice in that period. Apart from a couple of absolute all time great players, that is as good as anyone through that period. 18 goals in 23 finals including 5 in grand finals. Big game player.

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.

Agree, does everything Birch could do plus a much better mark and better on his right foot. Birch is a club legend…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry Bris - Hill was just as core as Izzy if not more so - ran harder and faster breaking lines, dummy runs - all people on here ever did was bag him out for not tackling and they missed the incredible things he did - he gave us the speed even more so than Izzy

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Sorry Bris - Hill was just as core as Izzy if not more so - ran harder and faster breaking lines, dummy runs - all people on here ever did was bag him out for not tackling and they missed the incredible things he did - he gave us the speed even more so than Izzy
It was a pretty strong team with 2 of the best gut running wings and 3 of the best small forwards

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

even in the hawks strongest period, if one of smithy or hill was missing the team didn’t look so flash. Smith hill and Lake the most important additions who gave balance to the team

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep we must appoint a new captain. There is no doubt in my mind.
Jags, Sicily or Mitchell are the only clear cut candidates IMO. Every part of Jags being says Captain material and has always been groomed for the role. I feel like if there is a change that he is the one to fill the void until Worpel is named Captain. If not he would be on the table for trade moving forward along with Mitchell.
Mitchell just doesn’t do it for me but is a safe bet as well. Same thoughts as Jags.
Sicily really has turned himself around as a leader and I recon he would fancy himself for the role, Similar to Smith for mine and why it won’t be James.
I think with BB getting the nod last season really did show a lack of commitment to either of Jags and Tom and I feel it was a necessary evil to appoint BB. If McEvoy goes again then I wouldn’t be too fussed as I think Worps is the captain in waiting for 2023 if there isn’t a change of captain in 2022.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Jags, Sicily or Mitchell are the only clear cut candidates IMO. Every part of Jags being says Captain material and has always been groomed for the role. I feel like if there is a change that he is the one to fill the void until Worpel is named Captain. If not he would be on the table for trade moving forward along with Mitchell.
Mitchell just doesn’t do it for me but is a safe bet as well. Same thoughts as Jags.
Sicily really has turned himself around as a leader and I recon he would fancy himself for the role, Similar to Smith for mine and why it won’t be James.
I think with BB getting the nod last season really did show a lack of commitment to either of Jags and Tom and I feel it was a necessary evil to appoint BB. If McEvoy goes again then I wouldn’t be too fussed as I think Worps is the captain in waiting for 2023 if there isn’t a change of captain in 2022.

‘Just keeping it warm for Day

Bnf results suggest otherwise.

Love your posts Bris

But the results the team had when Hill was in the team over 4 years were far greater than when Smith was there on his own.

Mind you other than his first season at Freo (where he won a BnF) he hasn't been nearly as effective or interested in thr game.

The caveat to this is that historically there have been significant barriers to player movement. So having a core of drafted players was the only model. You do need luck at the draft but shrewd trades, free agents and taking advantage of the additional opportunities to add players to your list will see different mix of sides emerge that go on to win premierships. Richmond don’t win a flag without Houli, Prestia and caddy. I’d say all three were core players in 2017. Naturally Martin, range and Cotchin were all drafted though and represent the very top end of their talent.

I would say Nankervis was as important as any player to Richmond's victory in 2017. Without trading those blokes in they'd have floundered.

We're seeing flag winning teams with significantly more traded players in recent years. We had a lot, Richmond had more than a couple and the core of Melbourne's back 6 are all traded.

As you said, in general we don't see a large amount of player movement. You can change 50% of an NBA team over the one off-season but there's no possible way to have anywhere near the same level of player movement in the AFL, if we could then I'd reckon we would see far more teams with cores built from trade and free agency.

Love your posts Bris

But the results the team had when Hill was in the team over 4 years were far greater than when Smith was there on his own.

Mind you other than his first season at Freo (where he won a BnF) he hasn't been nearly as effective or interested in thr game.
You can't possibly use that as evidence that Hill was more important than Smith though?

Same way you couldn't (or shouldn't) say that we missed the flag in 2016 because we didn't play Spangher + Schoenmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back