Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You can't possibly use that as evidence that Hill was more important than Smith though?

Same way you couldn't (or shouldn't) say that we missed the flag in 2016 because we didn't play Spangher + Schoenmakers.

My take is they were both important - otherwise we didnt stretch the other teams defence (with just one on the park). Were important also cos the rest of the mids, while great, were on the slow side

Last edited:
You can't possibly use that as evidence that Hill was more important than Smith though?

Same way you couldn't (or shouldn't) say that we missed the flag in 2016 because we didn't play Spangher + Schoenmakers.
Not saying that - though if we did play Spanghenmakers then there genuinely is no telling what might have been

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dno if anyone has listened to the Dylan Buckley podcast with Gawn, but gawn mentions how much they hate playing against the big body of Cripps. If Nash and Jai can come on next year it will make such a difference for for Mitchell, Jager and Wingard. Size has such an impact these days, fingers crossed we get lucky with Callaghan to.

I get the feeling next year will be night and day in the midfield

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dno if anyone has listened to the Dylan Buckley podcast with Gawn, but gawn mentions how much they hate playing against the big body of Cripps. If Nash and Jai can come on next year it will make such a difference for for Mitchell, Jager and Wingard. Size has such an impact these days, fingers crossed we get lucky with Callaghan to.

And yet some people want to try Dylan Moore in the midfield 🤦‍♀️

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We already have Day what pick will we use to draft Night? ;)

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And yet some people want to try Dylan Moore in the midfield 🤦‍♀️
I use to be on this train but I think the game has changed to much, the new size mids coming through are 185cm + and agile. I even thought we were 10 years away from seeing the average at 190cm, think it’s more like 3-5 now.

Dylan will definitely be able to provide a link or rotation but he is won’t be a midfielder first anymore

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There's still a place in midfields for the shorter quick likes of Zach Merrett and so on, we have Wingard will likely have Ward to play that role slightly taller if he can get to 184/185. 183 atm and 181 not long ago.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
I use to be on this train but I think the game has changed to much, the new size mids coming through are 185cm + and agile. I even thought we were 10 years away from seeing the average at 190cm, think it’s more like 3-5 now.

Dylan will definitely be able to provide a link or rotation but he is won’t be a midfielder first anymore

I can actually see Moore being used in the midfield more often as he keeps developing. See him being used more as a "high impact" midfielder used in short bursts (especially later in quarters and games) when the midfield core gets a little battle weary and tired. Has a terrific tank and his repeat effort sprints are off the charts. We did the same thing quite effectively with Puopolo and Breust back in our heyday which gave us far more flexibility in the middle across the board

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.
Birch had a bit more mongrel
Haha different game nowdays. Birch had way less mongrel than Dermie, Dipper etc...game is being sanitized. But thats another topic haha.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Newcombe is 186 cm and 85 kegs. No where near big bodied mid size. Cripps for comparison is 195 cm and 93 kegs, Bont is 192 cm and 93 kegs, Mundy 192 cm and 94 kegs...

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Newcombe is 186 cm and 85 kegs. No where near big bodied mid size. Cripps for comparison is 195 cm and 93 kegs, Bont is 192 cm and 93 kegs, Mundy 192 cm and 94 kegs...
Newcombe isn’t as tall but he is more physical around the contest than all of those players. He exerts a physical presence and is similar height to Jordan Lewis, who did the same thing for our premiership side.

Khmerhawk

Senior List
Sep 6, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need to go through a proper and considered process 😁😁

Not Sic. Already got enough to deal with returning from a knee. I think the doubt over Gunners rules him out too.

Mitchell or Jaegar. I would be in the minority but would select Mitchell.
Does anyone else think that Sicily would of been made captain this year if it wasn't for his injury ? I think that's why maybe Mcevoy was made captain this year and maybe next as well with Sicily taking over in 2023.

Does anyone else think that Sicily would of been made captain this year if it wasn't for his injury ? I think that's why maybe Mcevoy was made captain this year and maybe next as well with Sicily taking over in 2023.
No I don’t think so. The players voted in a process facilitated by leading teams which by all reports was pretty exhaustive. I don’t think he would have pipped BB if he wasn’t injured. That said, assuming this is his last year, Sic would have to be a chance along side JOM and a couple of others for 23.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No I don’t think so. The players voted in a process facilitated by leading teams which by all reports was pretty exhaustive. I don’t think he would have pipped BB if he wasn’t injured. That said, assuming this is his last year, Sic would have to be a chance along side JOM and a couple of others for 23.
Pardon the ignorance but I don't get the talk around Sicily as captain.

Was he in the leadership group last season? And don't dish out the "injury" excuse as Gunston was also injured.

Has Sic ever been in the leadership group?

I find it baffling people think a player who has never officially served as a leader of the club will somehow magically become captain.

Having said that, I'm all for including him in the leadership group for next season (perhaps at the expense of Shiels), but not as captain.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I do, his videos off the field shows how good he really is, have a feeling he will be our spiritual leader in the same vein (not like tho) as hodge by mid way through the year as long he stays fit.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pardon the ignorance but I don't get the talk around Sicily as captain.

Was he in the leadership group last season? And don't dish out the "injury" excuse as Gunston was also injured.

Has Sic ever been in the leadership group?

I find it baffling people think a player who has never officially served as a leader of the club will somehow magically become captain.

Having said that, I'm all for including him in the leadership group for next season (perhaps at the expense of Shiels), but not as captain.
The club expected Gunston to play most games where as Sicily was unlikely to play any and couldn’t train with the main group. Quite a different circumstance.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He definitely looks far heavier then 85kg, I would be shocked if he wasn’t over 90kg. Will be interesting how he shapes out with more conditioning but he looks like the type to hold a lot of size.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I do, his videos off the field shows how good he really is, have a feeling he will be our spiritual leader in the same vein (not like tho) as hodge by mid way through the year as long he stays fit.
RE: Sicliy_Got a gut feeling you could be right - think he could make the younger guys walk taller.

I'm also mindful that he has another year of maturity under his belt and, like any player with a long term injury, has had plenty of time to reflect. Cant wait to see what the latest version looks like on the park.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Man, absolutely love derm !! I like how he kept the argument ' simple' by saying that the Clarko method worked in the past but didn't this time around so the club changed direction , nothing more nothing less.

yes. As simple as that

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil

It is Kane Corne's job to criticize as many people as possible, as harshly as possible.

Just like the little s**t head tagger he was, who added nothing positive (yes he got a lot of the footy but they were real drinky possessions), his commentary is exactly the same as his playing style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back