May 31, 2009
South Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks
Hawks List UPDATE 6.PNG

POST-ND UPDATE!

- as usual, can't guarantee 100% accuracy etc. (please provide source if you know where a mistake is)
- it seems we need to upgrade 2 x rookies, but we will then have 2 spots to fill between the RD, the SSP and next year's MSD (+ additional spots for any unexpected retirements or LTIs between now and then).
- we have a Cat B spot open for Paul Haasbroek should want to sign him too.

View attachment 1287494

POST-ND UPDATE!

- as usual, can't guarantee 100% accuracy etc. (please provide source if you know where a mistake is)
- it seems we need to upgrade 2 x rookies, but we will then have 2 spots to fill between the RD, the SSP and next year's MSD (+ additional spots for any unexpected retirements or LTIs between now and then).
- we have a Cat B spot open for Paul Haasbroek should want to sign him too.
I’m obviously accustomed to funny Dutch last names but Haasbroek made me chuckle. It literally means ‘hare pants’. I wonder what his ancestors were into.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The players that the Hawks recruited, and those that they didn’t, provide the answer to the style of game that we can expect from the midfield group = pressure, hard work, on-field leadership / standards and a group that work for each other.

2021 Draftees: (Strengths)
  • Ward: renowned 2 way runner. Above ave contested game. VIC Metro captain. Elite endurance
  • Butler: renowned tackler and pressure fwd. Excellent endurance.
  • MacDonald: natural leadership attributes. Defensive pressure. Captain of his school team. Elite endurance.
Edited to add Long
  • Long: Rookie listed: 195cm, 93kg strong bodied mid who tackles and has elite endurance
Added to other recent draftees:
  • Worpel: Tackler. Hard worker. Captained Vic Country.
  • Newcomb: tackling beast. Pressure around the contest.

These are some of the stated areas of improvement for a few of the players that the Hawks did not select:
  • Sonsie: improvement needed: gut running. Willingness to get involved with or without the ball.
  • Taylor: improvements: strength. (I would have still loved it if we selected him)
  • Draper: improvements: strength, defensive running.
  • Clarke: improvements: contested game, tackling.
  • Johnson: improvements: strength, contested game.
  • Motlop: improvements: strength
It looks like the primary “line in the sand” has been drawn at the draft table. I’m sure this will extend to the selection table.

One thing is certain, opposition teams are not going to enjoy playing the Hawks.

Last edited:

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In addition to endurance and pressure, we have also added some zip.

All four recruits could be AFL ready next year, which means we have added selection pressure as well as on-field pressure.

It is notable that we have not picked up a KPD. That suggests that we are targeting a free agent or uncontracted player or we plan to transition one of our KPFs to the back half.

Seems to me that next year will be largely concerned with learning about the capacities and potential of our young list and we will lose plenty of games in the process, resulting in a pretty strong hand in the 2022 draft and a serious move up the ladder in 2023.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
The players that the Hawks recruited, and those that they didn’t, provide the answer to the style of game that we can expect from the midfield group = pressure, hard work, on-field leadership / standards and a group that work for each other.

• Ward: renowned 2 way runner. Above ave contested game. VIC Metro captain. Elite endurance
  • MacDonald: natural leadership attributes. Defensive pressure. Captain of his school team. Elite endurance.

These are some of the stated areas of improvement for a few of the players that the Hawks did not select:
  • Sonsie: improvement needed: gut running. Willingness to get involved with or without the ball.
  • Taylor: improvements: strength. (I would have still loved it if we selected him)
It looks like the primary “line in the sand” has been drawn at the draft table. I’m sure this will extend to the selection table.

One thing is certain, opposition teams are not going to enjoy playing the Hawks.
Really nice analysis. It would be interesting if you could expand on it to some of our guys that were rumoured to be up for trade.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

There’s a material lack of size/power and outside class/speed in that group. Very workman like group overall. Relying on Nash to be a big bodied mid - no one else is going to worry the inside bulls of dees etc. Seems potentially a little like the richmond midfield group (but without the dusty and Bolton and Richmond group prob a bit quicker).

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Good observation. On Johnson, we would have taken him at 22 had we been able to trade in. He would be the exception though 👍

CoagVex

Debutant
Oct 31, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There’s a material lack of size/power and outside class/speed in that group. Very workman like group overall. Relying on Nash to be a big bodied mid - no one else is going to worry the inside bulls of dees etc. Seems potentially a little like the richmond midfield group (but without the dusty and Bolton and Richmond group prob a bit quicker).
That's a concern I have also, hopefully not following tigers ways of 5 years ago

In terms of size and power, Newcombe lives for the contest and isn't exactly a midget at 186cm. He's also 85kg - give him a good off-season as a professional footy player with a proper weights and fitness program and I can absolutely see him becoming our inside enforcer.

In terms of size and power, Newcombe lives for the contest and isn't exactly a midget at 186cm. He's also 85kg - give him a good off-season as a professional footy player with a proper weights and fitness program and I can absolutely see him becoming our inside enforcer.
He is already throwing his weight around at training

With thanks to Scrads for their excellent Excel work in making this an easy snip - this is as exciting and extensive group of players under 25 that we have had for a very long time. Our list isn't without its issues still - but within a year we have absolutely revitalised it. Big props to McKenzie and Collins and I'm sure many others who don't get the plaudits - I am pretty excited to see what this unit can look like in a couple of years with some additional first round picks in the mix.

1637886743430.png

1637886827585.png

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With thanks to Scrads for their excellent Excel work in making this an easy snip - this is as exciting and extensive group of players under 25 that we have had for a very long time. Our list isn't without its issues still - but within a year we have absolutely revitalised it. Big props to McKenzie and Collins and I'm sure many others who don't get the plaudits - I am pretty excited to see what this unit can look like in a couple of years with some additional first round picks in the mix.

View attachment 1287697
View attachment 1287698
Blake Hardwick the anomaly, plays like his been in the system for 10 years. The afls Benjamin button

Blake Hardwick the anomaly, plays like his been in the system for 10 years. The afls Benjamin button

Was stunned when looking at that list that he wasn't a year or two older to be honest. We throw around future captain on this board a lot - but I have meant it with regards to Dimma for a few years now. Seeing stuff he does off the ball when at the ground shows that he has been an on field leader for quite some time now. Biggest thing I note is that if an opposition player has done something dirty to one of our players off the ball or hit someone late, Hardwick will be the first one there to have his finger in that player's chest. He's definitely an enforcer, unsure what he's like around the club and behind the scenes but I view him as a future leader.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Really liking the look of the young list we are building, essentially everyone is 23 and under:

Morris - Callow - CJ
Scrimshaw - DGB - Downie

Reeves - the Duke - Ward
Bramble - Worpel - Day

Moore - Lewis - Butler
Brockman - Jeka - Kosi

Int: Maginess, MacDonald, Nash, Mitchell, Lynch, Saunders, Serong

So for all the social media tears from the armchair pundits over the delisting of Cousins, Greaves and Hanrahan - it would seem our list management team once again knows more than the collective wisdom of people who comment on Facebook/Instagram. Amazing really.

It feels like the club recognised our deficiencies were mostly around the middle and half forward based on who we have just drafted.
Considering we didn't go for any KPPs, they must be (mostly) comfortable with our talls front and back.

Having Sic and Gunners back will help us immensely next year.
Plus Day.

There is a lot to be optimistic about.

We need some stars to emerge out of this group alongside Day.

DGB (6)
Ward (7)
Day (13)
Butler (23)
MacDonald (26)
Maginess (29)
Mitchell (29)
Downie (35)

The one I will be most closely watching out for is Maginess.
2022 must be his year.

So for all the social media tears from the armchair pundits over the delisting of Cousins, Greaves and Hanrahan - it would seem our list management team once again knows more than the collective wisdom of people who comment on Facebook/Instagram. Amazing really.

Exactly. Speaks volumes when none get picked up by any of the other 17 clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back