List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade - Mitchell
Delist - Howe, Phillips, Hartigan.Saunders
retire - McEvoy, Shiels

That’s enough for 4 draft picks, a rookie pick and a SSP. So we might get away with delisting Callow and Downie. But if needed they would be first cab of the rank.

Trade - Mitchell
Delist - Howe, Phillips, Hartigan.Saunders
retire - McEvoy, Shiels

That’s enough for 4 draft picks, a rookie pick and a SSP. So we might get away with delisting Callow and Downie. But if needed they would be first cab of the rank.
Keep Saunders

Ryan Burton says hello

The guy that was initially shocked and miffed but eventually happily took a list spot at his boyhood club in his home town? Yeah slightly different than shipping off Chad to Blacktown when he very much enjoys being at Hawthorn.

The guy that was initially shocked and miffed but eventually happily took a list spot at his boyhood club in his home town? Yeah slightly different than shipping off Chad to Blacktown when he very much enjoys being at Hawthorn.
Ignore that Chad struggled to even leave SA, so he was never going to move even further away.

Are you sure Port Adelaide was his boyhood club ? His father played for North Adelaide against port in the 1989 grand final where he famously kicked there only goal for the match. Port Adelaide 15.18 (108) to North 1.8(14)

Are you sure Port Adelaide was his boyhood club ? His father played for North Adelaide against port in the 1989 grand final where he famously kicked there only goal for the match. Port Adelaide 15.18 (108) to North 1.8(14)

This. Plus his old man used to work for AFC and apparently there was a bit of a messy separation there which might explain the shift in allegiances. Also his girlfriend was a big port supporter too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep...agreed and I'd throw Lukey Bruest into the mix. He's given great service but getting a 1st back now would help us move fwd. He and Gunston will command a solid return after the seasons they've had. Probably just trade one of those though IF they are happy to.

- If Geelong were interested in Worpel and willing to give up a 1st i'd consider that too

- If we don't trade Tom, i'd make it clear that he will likely see Box Hill next season for stretches

- I'd delist Callow, and keep only one of Dan Howe or Tom Philips on a 1 year deal. Cant comment enough on Saunders. Don't know enough about the motivation of Brockman but if it's not AFL standard, then he goes too

- Still think the midfield needs Jaegar + Newc, Nash, McDonald, Ward, Moore, Worp, Reeves + FA acquisition + another 1st rounder as the group

- Kozi regression leaves us short of talent coming through in the front half. We badly need a small pressure forward through the draft.

-I think the mix of youth and veterans in defense is spot on. Get plenty of gym into DGB and Jiath in particular.

I have been of this opinion for a couple of years now and I think most other Hawks fans are starting to come around now too. We must trade Tom Mitchell this off-season. It’s almost irrelevant what pick we get in return. He doesn’t have a position in this side with Newcombe, Moore, Ward and even Nash and Finn going past him in their ability to find a role Sam’s side.

I’ve been really impressed with Jaeger’s ability to evolve his game to find a new role in the team but Tom is either incapable or unwilling to do the same and it is holding the team back now. Add in Amon, Macdonald transitioning into the midfield, development of Ned Long and a bunch of new draftees and unfortunately Tom is only going to be holding back the development of younger players with more scope.

I know it’s hard for people to see past the name of Tom Mitchell the Brownlow medallist, but unfortunately the game has gone past him (at least with Sam’s gamestyle) and he is no longer the player he used to be. If we only get a 2nd or 3rd rounder in return then that’s okay. It’s more about the development of the side than the draft capital. I don’t think Tom or the club will want to go through the drama of having to drop him to Box Hill next season.

On a side note, I’m also retaining Callow because with Jeka looking good as a KPD and Kosi in a form slump our key forwards are a bit light on now. Callow may still develop into a nice player in a couple of years, just look at Mitch Lewis’ rise.

Trade: T. Mitchell
Delist: Howe, Hartigan and one of Downie/Saunders
Retire: McEvoy, Shiels

I have been of this opinion for a couple of years now and I think most other Hawks fans are starting to come around now too. We must trade Tom Mitchell this off-season. It’s almost irrelevant what pick we get in return. He doesn’t have a position in this side with Newcombe, Moore, Ward and even Nash and Finn going past him in their ability to find a role Sam’s side.

I’ve been really impressed with Jaeger’s ability to evolve his game to find a new role in the team but Tom is either incapable or unwilling to do the same and it is holding the team back now. Add in Amon, Macdonald transitioning into the midfield, development of Ned Long and a bunch of new draftees and unfortunately Tom is only going to be holding back the development of younger players with more scope.

I know it’s hard for people to see past the name of Tom Mitchell the Brownlow medallist, but unfortunately the game has gone past him (at least with Sam’s gamestyle) and he is no longer the player he used to be. If we only get a 2nd or 3rd rounder in return then that’s okay. It’s more about the development of the side than the draft capital. I don’t think Tom or the club will want to go through the drama of having to drop him to Box Hill next season.

On a side note, I’m also retaining Callow because with Jeka looking good as a KPD and Kosi in a form slump our key forwards are a bit light on now. Callow may still develop into a nice player in a couple of years, just look at Mitch Lewis’ rise.

Better not say Mitchell for a third rounder....

(I agree with everything you said, except I would definitely keep Saunders)

Callow doesn't have the size of Lewis, below average kick, not as athletic and much lower ceiling overall. I don't actually know what he does exceptionally well at the top level.

Tom Mitchell in veteran status. If he cant be traded, then he goes back to the 2nds, like Liam Sheils has this year. He just needs to earn games on merit and not because it's "Tom Mitchell the Brownlow medalist".

Jeka, Morris and Saunders to hang around. Haven't seen enuf of Downie but after so much hype, looking like that was a poor pick

Tom Mitchell still leads our score involvements for a midfielder. Gets judged way too harshly for someone who averages the most effective touches for us, most contested possessions and most stoppage clearances
All with less midfield time

Tom Mitchell still leads our score involvements for a midfielder. Gets judged way too harshly for someone who averages the most effective touches for us, most contested possessions and most stoppage clearances
Yep. Also has a better disposal effiency than JOM and Jai (including less turnovers per disposal). And would be leading centre clearances if got more cba (rather than his reduced role).

But apparently needs to earn his spot on merit??? If he’s not what the * are the rest of the midfield doing?

I agree he should be traded but let’s not underestimate the role he’s still playing for us.

Ok, so here we are..Round 23.

My initial end of season list management..

Trades - T.Mitchell, Brockman*

Delistings - Hartigan, Howe, Shiels, Downie

Retirements - Big Boy

We had 11 changes at the end of 2021.

Do we keep the core and continue developing them at Box Hill?

*reluctantly
How do we trade Brockman when his contract expires at the end of the season and delist Hartigan who is contracted for next year. Callow will also be there next season if this list is correct.
image_2022-08-18_133443277.png

Last edited:
How do we trade Brockman when his contract expires at the end of the season and delist Hartigan who is contracted for next year.
View attachment 1481356
We give Hartigan as a present to whichever club Clarko chooses. maybe even pay half his salary (which can't be huge right?)

How do we trade Brockman when his contract expires at the end of the season and delist Hartigan who is contracted for next year.
View attachment 1481356

We can trade anyone contracted provided they agree and the word is that Brockman is keen to return to WA.

Hartigan is a great point, he is on everyone's delist list. Delisting a contracted player can be done but it has consequences and works best where the player publically agrees. We might be holding onto him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back