List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other issue facing the Hawks is West Coast will be cleaning out their list so I would have to think Gaff would be shopped , Shoey may retire or again be shopped.
Nic Nat on his huge contract might not have any takers....but there are some silly clubs out there.
So come seasons end Tom, JOM and Worpel will see their values drop even more.
Tigers and Cats will be the next clubs facing the reality check.
Worpel will probably be the one that gets us the best deal as he very sound in body and the Crimmins medal.
The fact he has played along side 2 slow mid fielders might see his worth be very tempting for other clubs.
Especially geelong.

The other issue facing the Hawks is West Coast will be cleaning out their list so I would have to think Gaff would be shopped , Shoey may retire or again be shopped.
Nic Nat on his huge contract might not have any takers....but there are some silly clubs out there.
So come seasons end Tom, JOM and Worpel will see their values drop even more.
Tigers and Cats will be the next clubs facing the reality check.
Worpel will probably be the one that gets us the best deal as he very sound in body and the Crimmins medal.
The fact he has played along side 2 slow mid fielders might see his worth be very tempting for other clubs.
Especially geelong.
WCE are in a world of pain

By the end of this year
Kennedy 35
Hurn 35
Redden 32
Shoey 32
Nic Nat 32
Gaff 30
Darling 30
Cripps 30
McGovern 30
Then a few 28/29 yr olds

A good time to be going after 1 or 2 of their good young players (they don’t have many) as they’ll be down for a while …….hopefully as long as Essendone 😉

JOM 28
Tom 29
They have more to offer than most of WCE team

With Cameron leaving GWS and them Chasing Clarko I wonder if they have another go at Breust or Clarko goes after Wingard.

That is abysmal list management, how did that occur...
Singing a FB for 3 years on a pittance, when we didn't have one is abysmal list management now?

Glad you've got nothing to do with the club, bud.

Far too early to be seriously considering a trade for Worpel - will need a 'senior' player to guide the young mids if Tom and JOM depart and I'm backing Worps to step up in this scenario
From the tv it looks like he’s doing a lot directing and organising on the field. He’s always pointing and directing.

Just needs to get his gameplay up to scratch now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I will say is this. Trading Tom, Jom, Worpel is fruitless. They are worth more to us than they are to other clubs. In other words, we'd lose on all 3 deals.
They'll finish their careers as Hawthorn players.

Only caveat is that the Cats cough up a good pick for Worpel. But they'd be crazy to do that considering their list profile.

Play on.

That is abysmal list management, how did that occur...

Singing a FB for 3 years on a pittance, when we didn't have one is abysmal list management now?

Glad you've got nothing to do with the club, bud.
3 years is an extremely long time in football. Now he's taking up the list spot of a kid we could potentially draft in the MSD.

We still don't have a FB considering he's playing in the twos, so don't really see what your point it. The current football department must not rate him very highly in terms of where we are heading?

No matter which way you spin it, our list was massively overrated during the last few years of the Clarko era and some of the decisions made are costing us dearly now.

Take your Clarko koolaid elsewhere champ...

over the years i have liked ranking the Hawthorn List, i have not done it in the last couple of years i think, i enjoy doing it, you can tell me your thoughts or where you think i might have got it wrong, its subjective and just an opinion

1. James Sicily - i think he is our best player atm, has been in our top 5 for a few years now
2. Dylan Moore - not only kicks goals, but works his way down the ground, incredible running capacity
3. Jack Gunston - has been a little inaccurate, but when in form is a match winner
4. Jai Newcombe - theres a bit more development to go, but he has been huge this year
5. Changkuoth Jiath - his intercept marking and runs from defence give us a strong counter-attacking game
6. Mitch Lewis - is in career best form, averaging 3 goals a game and giving us strong structure
7. Jack Scrimshaw - interceptor and run from defence, makes a good partnership with CJ
8. Luke Breust - having another productive year, he lacks pressure as a sml forw, but is a good finisher
9. Tom Mitchell - still having an influence, but our midfield is being re-worked this year
10. Sam Frost - our best KPD atm, we rely on him every week and he does a good job playing in a side that loses the midfield contest often
11. Will Day - has the talent to be higher and shows that sometimes, but has been injured and has not put enough weight on to have a strong affect on contests, so improvement to be had
12. Jaegar O'Meara - has played as a forward and in the midfield when we need a strong body in there
13. Blake Hardwick - our best small shut down defender, very under rated player
14. Lachlan Bramble - come back from an injury and is in ok form, hoping to see more run and dash from him like he showed last year
15. Chad Wingard - can be a match winner, but can also look for free kicks, he can be placed anywhere from 9th-20th depending on his form or mindset
16. Jacob Koshitzke - i think he has come in since Lewis was injured and given us a competitive and dangerous forward
17. Harry Morrison - has had a great year so far this year, has been clean with skills on the outside
18. Ben McEvoy - was named captain and unfortunately got injured which left us low on rucks, has been great for us over the years
19. Conor Nash - has transformed himself into a inside mid and now part time ruck
20. Connor MacDonald - has been great as a half forw/mid, he has silky skills and a confidence to take chances that usually pay off
21. Josh Ward - strong running mid who is a genuine 2 way runner, when he does get the footy makes good decisions, has taken a few hits as well and bounced back from them
22. Denver Grainger-Barras - learning his craft, looks the goods, aggressive and good in the air, but still physically under developed and its holding him back a little from dominating
23. Jarman Impey - coming back from injury has been a little up and down in form, has great run from defence
24. Tom Phillips - good competitive winger who is being played in the VFL to develop youngsters to strengthen the squad
25. Ned Reeves - before his injury showed he could ruck by himself with good effect, isnt the greatest around the ground, but he is getting there
26. Max Lynch - another ruck who has genuine ability, a more combative ruck that is good around the ground, its hard to split Reeves and Lynch at this stage
27. James Worpel - his form is all over the place, nearly dropped recently, averaging 16 disposals as an experienced mid is a worry at this stage
28. Liam Shiels - still has some value to add, but is being played at VFL level to give younger guys a chance to strengthen the squad
29. Finn Maginness - slowly developing nicely, soon could rise into the early 20's, but want to see more examples of good form first
30. Sam Butler - another that lacks disposals, but moves beautifully and can kick a goal, he was great against a weak Essendon VFL team
31. Ned Long - has been strong defensively in the midfield at VFL level, could do with more disposals
32. Emerson Jeka - was back to his best recently, but got injured with a hamstring
33. Tyler Brockman - prior to the season i thought he would establish himself in the first 22, but has been in bad form and then injured
34. Josh Morris - is playing well at Box Hill, playing half back, can play wing and forward when needed
35. Daniel Howe - has had a horrible year so far at VFL and AFL level, just seems out of form
36. Jackson Callow - has been played as part time ruck and marking target forward, has been doing OK in that role
37. Jai Serong - had a couple good games early in the year, but since has been a bit average, lots of room for improvement, developing
38. Jack Saunders - playing as a wing, running flanker, unsure on whether he can make the next step, but could be a good State Leaguer
39. Connor Downie - has had a lot of injuries and is starting to find some form at VFL level, enjoys the bigger grounds, concern about his contested game
40. Seamus Mitchell - has found a new home as a half back, can run off half back and is a neat kick, but shys away from contests
41. Kyle Hartigan - could be a good KPD if injuries, but i think this might be his last year?
42. Fionn O'Hara - has only played half a pre-season game i think, so cant quite rate him, but when i saw him play he looked good from the small sample i saw.

Last edited:
3 years is an extremely long time in football. Now he's taking up the list spot of a kid we could potentially draft in the MSD.

We still don't have a FB considering he's playing in the twos, so don't really see what your point it. The current football department must not rate him very highly in terms of where we are heading?

No matter which way you spin it, our list was massively overrated during the last few years of the Clarko era and some of the decisions made are costing us dearly now.

Take your Clarko koolaid elsewhere champ...
Your take is a really bad one.

This is not about Clarko Kool-Aid, abysmal list management would have been retiring Frawley and then not replacing him with anyone, in the hope that Frost could hold down Fullback for the next 3 years with Hartley in reserve. What a mess that would’ve been.

This is not about Clarko Kool-Aid, abysmal list management would have been retiring Frawley and then not replacing him with anyone, in the hope that Frost could hold down Fullback for the next 3 years with Hartley in reserve. What a mess that would’ve been.
Cmon man, giving 3 years to a bloke the Crows ( bottom club at time) delisted is abysmal list management no matter which way you spin it. Yeah 1 year maybe 2 years would of been ok. But 3???

Cmon man, giving 3 years to a bloke the Crows ( bottom club at time) delisted is abysmal list management no matter which way you spin it. Yeah 1 year maybe 2 years would of been ok. But 3???
He was a FA, he was not delisted.

If you can honestly say that Frost as our sole fullback was better than getting a player across on the cheap for 3 years who could still be playing if not for Sam’s youth policy, you’re having a laugh.

Isn’t that what has essentially happened this year and will for next as Hartigan is not good enough for the ones? People are suggesting he retire to get an MSD pick.

On a side note, I don’t that saying things like ‘your take is a really bad one’ when there see pros and vibe on both sides is really great for fostering discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn’t that what has essentially happened this year and will for next as Hartigan is not good enough for the ones? People are suggesting he retire to get an MSD pick.

On a side note, I don’t that saying things like ‘your take is a really bad one’ when there see pros and vibe on both sides is really great for fostering discussion.

But ‘Clarko kool-aid’ was ok, yeah?

Hartigan is good enough for the seniors, Sam’s just choosing not to play him as he wants games into DGB and also likes a more mobile defence.
He was more than servicable last year it’s worth remembering, we were the 5th ranked defence in the comp for stopping scores from inside 50’s, and Hartigan/Frost/Hardwick we’re collectively outmarked 5 times for the year.

I'd prefer to have Hartigan than not. Frosty's knee was looking a little sore against Essendon and he will need a break at some point soon I would suggest.

But ‘Clarko kool-aid’ was ok, yeah?

Hartigan is good enough for the seniors, Sam’s just choosing not to play him as he wants games into DGB and also likes a more mobile defence.
He was more than servicable last year it’s worth remembering, we were the 5th ranked defence in the comp for stopping scores from inside 50’s, and Hartigan/Frost/Hardwick we’re collectively outmarked 5 times for the year.
The point is not about whether it was wise or not for insurance. I agree at the time he was a good addition as we had no other options.

My problem is the length of the contract. If they truly understood where our list was at, 3 years would not have been considered.

The point is not about whether it was wise or not for insurance. I agree at the time he was a good addition as we had no other options.

My problem is the length of the contract. If they truly understood where our list was at, 3 years would not have been considered.
He was a FA, would he have joined for 2 years? maybe, maybe not. Can't remember seeing too many move for a 2 year contract.

You give him 3 years to get him across for free, and on low salary. Makes complete sense, and even in 2023 should we not play him much, he's going to be very handy should Frost or Sicily get injured for a spell, because DGB is still raw.

He was a FA, would he have joined for 2 years? maybe, maybe not. Can't remember seeing too many move for a 2 year contract.

You give him 3 years to get him across for free, and on low salary. Makes complete sense, and even in 2023 should we not play him much, he's going to be very handy should Frost or Sicily get injured for a spell, because DGB is still raw.
I think in 2023 he’s just a waste of a list spot, but that’s my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back