Hodge - Day
Lewis - ? Maginness
Sewell - Newcombe

Ready and waiting Ward, Macdonald & Downie
Mitchell - MacDonald
Hodge - DGB
Lewis - Ward
Sewell - Newcombe

The characteristics collectively may be there, but not all present in the same configuration in individuals as before.

Mitchell and hodge, and to a lesser extent Birchall Burgoyne Rioli provided the creativity or the tempo of the team.

I’m thinking that day, ward, with Tom mitchell omeara Wingard Sicily bramble etc is enough creativity

That the negative domino effect of the last few years starts to become positive and gathers momentum

Seems v weird to try and draw comparisons imo.

All of our new boys play distinctly modern football, and play their own brand.
If anything as we move into this new era I'm incredibly excited for the differences between our new crop and our old!

Williams vs Brockman

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might need to explain the Hodge - DGB call for the ones who don't get it.

Hodge was a leader of men, a mongrel. Plug and play either in the back half, forward half or middle. Set the standard and brought his best effort every contest and would not take a backwards step.

DGB is that player also, albeit in a different shape, playing in a predominantly different part of the ground to date, as I can't see him playing much midfield(but maybe he swings forward in years to come).

Mitchell - MacDonald. Everything we know about Sam is that he was tough, skilled, knew he way around a centre bounce and had high footy IQ, and this is also everything that I have seen in MacDonald.

We don't need players to be the exact same players as our premierships stars, playing in the same position, but we do need their characteristics and their roles filled within the team. That was the point.

Might need to explain the Hodge - DGB call for the ones who don't get it.

Hodge was a leader of men, a mongrel. Plug and play either in the back half, forward half or middle. Set the standard and brought his best effort every contest and would not take a backwards step.

DGB is that player also, albeit in a different shape, playing in a predominantly different part of the ground to date, as I can't see him playing much midfield(but maybe he swings forward in years to come).

Mitchell - MacDonald. Everything we know about Sam is that he was tough, skilled, knew he way around a centre bounce and had high footy IQ, and this is also everything that I have seen in MacDonald.

We don't need players to be the exact same players as our premierships stars, playing in the same position, but we do need their characteristics and their roles filled within the team. That was the point.
I agree with MacDonald Mitchell, not sure about DGB and Hodge, i would say Sicily is more like Hodge with DGB more like Gibbo but taller.

I agree with MacDonald Mitchell, not sure about DGB and Hodge, i would say Sicily is more like Hodge with DGB more like Gibbo but taller.
DGB almost killed himself in his first game, and has shown a kamikaze like attack on the ball and contest despite his frame, and like Hodge won’t take a backwards step. Sicily doesn’t play like that.

DGB almost killed himself in his first game, and has shown a kamikaze like attack on the ball and contest despite his frame, and like Hodge won’t take a backwards step. Sicily doesn’t play like that.
One comparison you absolutely nailed SYL was Sewell / Newcombe 🤙🏽

👍 Not really a comparison, more a view of what characteristics a player brings to the side that we will need in the team to beat the best.

Sewell averaged 4.5 tackles per game over his career but also 3.7 clearances. He was a 20 possession per game mid who had a remarkable ability to break tackles and distribute as well as being very effective when not in possession. It is very early days for Newcombe but his main strength so far is tackling. That makes him much more of a defensive mid, whereas Sewell was an inside mid who was equally effective defensively or offensively.

As I see it, either Newcombe or Nash will seize the Sewell role. I doubt there is room for both. At the moment Nash is the more effective distributor.

Incidentally when running the numbers, I was a little surprised to find that JOM not only has a much higher clearance career average than Sewell had but he also has a higher tackle count. We may underestimate JOM's defensive game.

Sewell averaged 4.5 tackles per game over his career but also 3.7 clearances. He was a 20 possession per game mid who had a remarkable ability to break tackles and distribute as well as being very effective when not in possession. It is very early days for Newcombe but his main strength so far is tackling. That makes him much more of a defensive mid, whereas Sewell was an inside mid who was equally effective defensively or offensively.

As I see it, either Newcombe or Nash will seize the Sewell role. I doubt there is room for both. At the moment Nash is the more effective distributor.

Incidentally when running the numbers, I was a little surprised to find that JOM not only has a much higher clearance career average than Sewell had but he also has a higher tackle count. We may underestimate JOM's defensive game.
Sewell also largely played a lockdown role, hence the nickname “Alcatraz”.

Most posters underrate his whole game & contribution to the side.

Likely, they're affected by what we paid in landing him or they're holding him to account against the player they wanted him to develop into... but either way, it's dumb.

He started the 2021 season very well & (from memory) was the leading clearance player in the comp pre-injury. He finished 2021 in very good form as well. Game by game, his defensive efforts are by far the best of any of our mids & the workload he carries often allows other mids to focus on winning the ball.

Will be very interesting to see how Sam uses him, compared with his use in the last few seasons. Might not be any change as he plays a good team game, but we may look to get more from his attacking attributes & require more accountability from guys like Mitchell + Worpel.

Last edited:
Most posters underrate his whole game & contribution to the side.

Likely, they're affected by what we paid in landing him or they're holding him to account against the player they wanted him to develop into... but either way, it's dumb.

He started the 2021 season very well & (from memory) was the leading clearance player in the comp pre-injury. He finished 2021 in very good form as well. Game by game, his defensive efforts are by far the best of any of our mids & the workload he carries often allows other mids to focus on winning the ball.

Will be very interesting to see how Sam uses him, compared with his use in the last few seasons. Might not be any change as he plays a good team game, but we may look to get more from his attacking attributes & require more accountability from guys like Mitchell + Worpel.
Yep. Was #1 centre clearance player in the comp pre injury. Even in that heavy loss to the Dees, he was carving up their A grade mids in the centre.

Cant wait for the first pre season game.

I love the Sewell/Newcombe comparison as I bloody loved Sewell. That said - I think Newcombe is going to bring more ability to be damaging - both in a game sense and hurting blokes when he hits them. He’s a solid unit and I wouldn’t want him slamming into me.

I agree. I'd say Sicily is more Campbell Brown than Hodge. On the "spiritual leader" spectrum Hodge was a "I'm going to lift the team up through an inspirationally tough/courageous act". Browny was more "We're flat as a tack here and I'm going to be the spark that gets us going (for better or worse)".

In terms of skillset Sicily is more Hodge than Brown, but there's plenty more Hodge-era Hawks that Sicily is more closely aligned to. Guerra for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back