List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
7e59854a171c3d5e349fbe3891584693.png

25 and under team where do you see many holes?

My view Morris bramble kosi brockman worpel and maginness no certainties to be long term afl players. Add Blanck with 1 game so too early albeit I liked his game Friday and day / lynch who can’t get a run at it so have some risk associated, that’s 9 of the 22 and how I formed my view. I also don’t see many great ball users and we need 2 clearance mids and a striker (hopefully sheezel). To be clear I feel like we are on the right path under Sam but I am trying to be realistic about the r gap between now and competing at the pointy end.

I would be looking very closely at some of Brisbane and Gold Coast players that can’t get a game. There’s gotta be another player out there under 23 that is crying out for more opportunities.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would be looking very closely at some of Brisbane and Gold Coast players that can’t get a game. There’s gotta be another player out there under 23 that is crying out for more opportunities.
Totally agree - but we need to look at all clubs & all players and leave no stone unturned - we need mids, and high quality ones at that.
Hopefully find a diamond in the rough (Will Brodie - Freo)

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We also obtained a possible Rising Star winning midfielder through last year's mid season draft as well as a ready to go bigger bodied defender and project ruckman in this year's mid season draft without having to use any national draft collateral each time. Collins, McKenzie and anyone else involved in those decisions have worked incredibly well at it. McKenzie deserves every bit of praise he gets - nowhere near as well known to the external AFL media as Wright was back in the day but just going about his job quietly and getting the runs on the board.
And we took reeves and bramble before all on the original pre season didn’t we? Incredible work, if we didn’t have these picks we wouldn’t be as optimistic and likely as strong into the future

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
This. Teams on the rise often get big name recruits. Carlton and Essendon have been doing it for a long time now. Brisbane have been able to poach some players once they were building with youth and a good coach (Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neale). We aren't the Hawthorn of 2019-2021 any more, we aren't a moribund, directionless side that plays a shocking brand of footy to watch. We have a strong defensive unit and exciting forward line now. A big name midfielder wouldn't instantly dismiss us I feel.

We certainly have some promising pieces moving forward.

But when was the last time a key player moved from a contender/reigning champion in the middle of their window for a bottom four team?

Franklin was the last key player to leave a reigning champion. And he went from one legit contender to another, for the biggest contract ever in AFL history (not to mention the personal/lifestyle elements that contributed to the move).

Am I missing of someone? I must be.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

But when was the last time a key player moved from a contender/reigning champion in the middle of their window for a bottom four team?

Franklin was the last key player to leave a reigning champion. And he went from one legit contender to another, for the biggest contract ever in AFL history (not to mention the personal/lifestyle elements that contributed to the move).

Nick Stevens from Port Adelaide to Carlton in the early 2000s ??

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

A large chunk of these guys have barely played 10 games. Let alone 20 or 50 games. Let alone proven AA quality (maybe Lewis and possibly Moore).

The fact our 25 and under has so few established quality players is the concern. Yes every unproven player could turn into a gun but every team in the Afl has a squad that looks like or better then that or kids that have shown some glimpses.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
A large chunk of these guys have barely played 10 games. Let alone 20 or 50 games. Let alone proven AA quality (maybe Lewis and possibly Moore).

The fact our 25 and under has so few established quality players is the concern. Yes every unproven player could turn into a gun but every team in the Afl has a squad that looks like or better then that or kids that have shown some glimpses.

Absolutely bang on pal.

In fairness we had a top-up list policy until 2020. I don’t think it’s an indictment on our youth that they haven’t had the experience - it’s an indictment in that failed list strategy.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If DGB doesn't end up being an elite key back we are in a bit of trouble also IMO... It's too early to say either way if we are being honest with ourselves, but he's the most important young player on our list for mine.

Blanck looked really good on debut. But again, you couldn't possibly pencil him in as a 200 gamer right now. And he's our next best long term option as it currently sits.

Sicily has been absolutely ridiculous this year, but he'll be even better when he can play his natural third defender role. Reminds me so much of Josh Gibson, and how he went to yet another level after we recruited Frawley.
We have got to find a genuine elite KPD. Just like we have to find a genuine elite KPF. Minimum to challenge.
And at least two, genuine elite Mids. Minimum to challenge.
At least two genuine elite small forwards. Minimum to challenge.
At least one running centreline mid.
Minimum to challenge.

That is SEVEN elite players that have to be added to the List. Or from the likes of Butler. This is above what we currently have. It will take 3-5 years.

Hawks only challenge for silverware. Not just to be competitive.

Wouldn’t say Charlie Cameron is a key player - but a very good player coming into his prime when he left Adelaide (1st on ladder and grand finalist) to go to Brisbane (wooden spoon) in 2017.

Chris Judd also left West Coast having finished 3rd in 2007 to go to Carlton who finished second last.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We have got to find a genuine elite KPD. Just like we have to find a genuine elite KPF. Minimum to challenge.
And at least two, genuine elite Mids. Minimum to challenge.
At least two genuine elite small forwards. Minimum to challenge.
At least one running centreline mid.
Minimum to challenge.

That is SEVEN elite players that have to be added to the List. Or from the likes of Butler. This is above what we currently have. It will take 3-5 years.

Hawks only challenge for silverware.

Mitch Lewis could be that guy ?

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Wouldn’t say Charlie Cameron is a key player - but a very good player coming into his prime when he left Adelaide (1st on ladder and grand finalist) to go to Brisbane (wooden spoon) in 2017.

Chris Judd also left West Coast having finished 3rd in 2007 to go to Carlton who finished second last.

Both Cameron and Judd moved home via their trades, along with getting big money of course.

Tim Kelly is another - but again he went home.

We can only offer Brayshaw one of those things.

Impey plays a role we’re stacked in. One of a few players we could lose and cover well enough if we got a attractive offer. But he seems part of our plans given opportunities he’s been given this year + his value would be at a low given current form.
Sort of agree with this except that imps can not just play the rebounding half back. At full fitness he has be a hard running wingman and also a tricky small forward. He has a positional versatility that we just don't have with anyone else.

Both Cameron and Judd moved home via their trades, along with getting big money of course.

Tim Kelly is another - but again he went home.

We can only offer Brayshaw one of those things.

In fairness there was no ‘is there a go home factor’ caveat when you posed the question!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
In fairness there was no ‘is there a go home factor’ caveat when you posed the question!

Nah, this is just a thought exercise.

The only examples I can think of all had significant personal reasons to push for a trade, along with the money.

The point is history shows that it just doesn't happen, and if anyone from Melbourne was to leave it would most likely be Jackson, or one of their more fringe-like players like Harmes or ANB (don't know their contract situation, just examples of fringe-like players).

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

Nick Malceski?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back