List Management | End of year discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I agree this is his main skillset. However - it won't be a priority need if we get T-Mitch and if Woody can get back to his best and start pressing for selection. If Lovell can have a good pre-season and start pressing a claim - then if we do end up trading Hartung I feel that Lovell could play on the wing. Should Hartung stay - then I think Lovell could be a good option to use as backup/understudy to this role.

I don't see it. If we are desperate for wingman I would expect someone like Miles to be ahead in the plans for that position or we'll just use Shiels, Smith, Lewis, Sicily, Duryea and Gunston through there as we have this year.

WillowSF

All Australian
Jun 2, 2009
California
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know we will probably secure Vickery but I'd rather hold onto Brand & O'Brien.

We have not had high draft picks due to our success and we need to get quality youth back on the list.

Of the players that have had substantial senior exposure we should consider trading the following:

Spangher, Litherland, Duryea, Langford, O'Rourke, Whitecross, Shoenmakers & Fitzpatrick. (Hartung survives with Hill on his way out.)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I know we will probably secure Vickery but I'd rather hold onto Brand & O'Brien.

We have not had high draft picks due to our success and we need to get quality youth back on the list.

Of the players that have had substantial senior exposure we should consider trading the following:

Spangher, Litherland, Duryea, Langford, O'Rourke, Whitecross, Shoenmakers & Fitzpatrick. (Hartung survives with Hill on his way out.)

I wouldn't consider TOB quality youth.

I expect to get crucified for this but consensus on GWS board is that Breust is the only top up player they would consider worth pursuing. Won't give up Josh Kelly and Zac Williams but offering pick 7 or possibly pick 5 for him. Apparently to them picks above 20 are nearly worthless to them as they will already have their chosen intake by then. Seems a good trade. Admittedly a Big Footy one.

Would love to have Josh Kelly at our club, silky skills. Alternatively say Rhys Palmer and Tomlinson (re-signed recently but not guaranteed best 22) plus a pick. Punky would be going to a powerhouse club. We would be an attractive club to their players as against Blues, Tigers and the like.

Don't want to lose Breust but he may have huge currency and help us regenerate quickly.

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
I expect to get crucified for this but consensus on GWS board is that Breust is the only top up player they would consider worth pursuing. Won't give up Josh Kelly and Zac Williams but offering pick 7 or possibly pick 5 for him. Apparently to them picks above 20 are nearly worthless to them as they will already have their chosen intake by then. Seems a good trade. Admittedly a Big Footy one.

Would love to have Josh Kelly at our club, silky skills. Alternatively say Rhys Palmer and Tomlinson (re-signed recently but not guaranteed best 22) plus a pick. Punky would be going to a powerhouse club. We would be an attractive club to their players as against Blues, Tigers and the like.

Don't want to lose Breust but he may have huge currency and help us regenerate quickly.
Rhys Palmer is complete and utter s**t!!!

He's a free agent end of next year, he's contracted to the end of next year, hopefully he has an extension announced, otherwise we might see him somewhere else next year so we can get some value in trade

Unfortunately, I agree. He plays a position we are strong in, and has currency. He's will get more picks for steel, merchbank etc
If we were offered a pick inside 10 plus Tomlinson and a second rounder which they wouldn't use we should take it....

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

We'd want to draft a star with pick 5 or 7 if we gave up Punky for it.

muff73

Senior List
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, NY Knicks
I wasn't referring specifically to TOB but I'd rather keep/develop him than secure Vickery.
I agree on Brand, I'm just not convinced enough on TOB yet. I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say I reckon Vickery is a more known quantity and I'm positive that if we get him he will be desperate to go another level to show Richmond and their 'eat 'em alive' supporters what he could do. I trust Clarko to get the best out of him and I reckon that best will be more consistent that TOB. But very happy if TOB proves me wrong (at Hawthorn, not somewhere else).

If my memory is right, Hale wasn't even in North's best 22 anymore when we picked him up, so I'm hopping for lightning to strike twice. Having said that, I'm also on record for agreeing that we can't pay overs (in $$$ or trade) to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 28, 2008
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree on Brand, I'm just not convinced enough on TOB yet. I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say I reckon Vickery is a more known quantity and I'm positive that if we get him he will be desperate to go another level to show Richmond and their 'eat 'em alive' supporters what he could do. I trust Clarko to get the best out of him and I reckon that best will be more consistent that TOB. But very happy if TOB proves me wrong (at Hawthorn, not somewhere else).

If my memory is right, Hale wasn't even in North's best 22 anymore when we picked him up, so I'm hopping for lightning to strike twice. Having said that, I'm also on record for agreeing that we can't pay overs (in $$$ or trade) to get him.

My information from sources at Richmond is that Vickery is a done deal. A 3 year contract.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We'd want to draft a star with pick 5 or 7 if we gave up Punky for it.

And we may end up trading a brilliant small forward with at least 5 years worth of playing left in him for someone who may or may not turn in to a footballer.

The value people place on draft picks really baffles me sometimes.

As in we have him locked in or they resigned him (matched us)

Clubs never match if the player was serious about leaving.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And we may end up trading a brilliant small forward with at least 5 years worth of playing left in him for someone who may or may not turn in to a footballer.

The value people place on draft picks really baffles me sometimes.

Clubs never match if the player was serious about leaving.

Yeah I think 15 years ago clubs underrated draft picks but now its gone full circle.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
I would have thought Breust is only on the table if needed to secure the JOM trade. However, if he was not part of that, then would have great value as leverage to get a top player, or pick/s. I will leave it to the club.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I would have thought Breust is only on the table if needed to secure the JOM trade. However, if he was not part of that, then would have great value as leverage to get a top player, or pick/s. I will leave it to the club.

I'd like to think we could JOM over the line without giving up Bruest considering he's out of contact and can leave GC for free if they don't deal.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

I'm with ya !!!

If Breust wasn't with us then I hope to goodness that he is wearing orange and charcoal or red and yellow next year - and not red and white. I wouldn't begrudge Breust getting another premiership with GWS and I know he'd never win one with the Gold Coast - but the thought of him making the Swans even more formidable makes me weep.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
If Breust wasn't with us then I hope to goodness that he is wearing orange and charcoal or red and yellow next year - and not red and white. I wouldn't begrudge Breust getting another premiership with GWS and I know he'd never win one with the Gold Coast - but the thought of him making the Swans even more formidable makes me weep.

Kennedy kicks long to Franklin, it spills to Breust who kicks his third...

upload_2016-9-28_15-49-8.jpeg

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd like to think we could JOM over the line without giving up Bruest considering he's out of contact and can leave GC for free if they don't deal.

Yeah I'm thinking the same way. If Breust were to go I'd imagine it'd be after we've done the O'meara and Mitchell deals and Breust would be our way of getting back into this draft and maybe a pick in next years as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back