Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve had some interesting list decision choices and when you add them together it’s damming reading:

Henderson - delisted, lose him for nothing, Mackay preferred
Recruitment of Hampton and Menzel
Thommo- retained for additional year, wasted
Lyons- pushed out, receive pick in the 40s
Gibbs- wouldn’t do the deal and then we did for the cost we called irresponsible the year before
Long term deals to older players - Betts, Jenkins, Tex, Sloane, Lynch, Gibbs
Otten- retained for year too long
Passing and going short on the list- missed out on players

Now I’m not saying I got all these right at the time, but that’s not the point. We have highly paid experts to make the right call.

But collectively that’s an ordinary effort

Bringing in a beyond cooked Sam Gibson (who was only ever a plodder with awful kicking skills at the best of times) was a waste of a spot on a list too.

Bringing in a beyond cooked Sam Gibson (who was only ever a plodder with awful kicking skills at the best of times) was a waste of a spot on a list too.
Forgot about him. We weren’t meeting our old guy quota.

As the Crows are now likley to finish 12th....after we lose to Dogs by a good margin and Port and North beat Freo and Melb respectively.
That trade with Carlton we were all excited about now means we get a pick 4 places ahead of the Blues.
So we give up a top 20 pick in a super draft and a year of development....to rise 4 places.....pick 3 instead of 7....big deal. Arrogant fools.

I know there’s a lot of love for Ogilvie around here and I do share a lot of it too.. I think he’s landed some great players with the resources he’s been given.. some real gems in the rough..

But I was pretty disappointed when I listened to that podcast with him in it the other day talking about some of our recent draftees.. chayce Jones was one..

He went to great lengths to point out that the lad had great parents/great upbringing/fine young men blah, blah, blah... it came across to me as if he was pointing out that the club values a lads family upbringing/type of background they come from as much as their footy skills..

Really... these are teenagers we’re talking about here.. some are gonna be from broken homes, bad upbringings and have some rough edges.. a good coach and football department should back themselves in to help these lads mature and become men not shun them..

Had me thinking about the list... realised we haven’t really got that tatt covered junkyard dog type player with a dubious background anywhere on our list?.. not even close..

Not grabbing Sydney Stack as a rookie because we only like nice boys.
Allowing our list to go from the most dominant forward line in 2017 to one of the worst two years later.
Yep... I’ve made my thoughts known on here about Sydney stack..

I mean * me... the kid was made out to be an absolute basket case.. when the exact opposite has proven to be the case.

Surely, knowing that the kid had talent in spades, wouldn’t someone have gone “you know, we can use a rookie pick on this lad, back ourselves and see if we can help him make changes to his life/attitude... and if it doesn’t work out we’ve only blown a rookie pick”..

I know there’s a lot of love for Ogilvie around here and I do share a lot of it too.. I think he’s landed some great players with the resources he’s been given.. some real gems in the rough..

But I was pretty disappointed when I listened to that podcast with him in it the other day talking about some of our recent draftees.. chayce Jones was one..

He went to great lengths to point out that the lad had great parents/great upbringing/fine young men blah, blah, blah... it came across to me as if he was pointing out that the club values a lads family upbringing/type of background they come from as much as their footy skills..

Really... these are teenagers we’re talking about here.. some are gonna be from broken homes, bad upbringings and have some rough edges.. a good coach and football department should back themselves in to help these lads mature and become men not shun them..

Had me thinking about the list... realised we haven’t really got that tatt covered junkyard dog type player with a dubious background anywhere on our list?.. not even close..

I follow the drafts really close every year and the one area jones really concerned me was his foot skills. Even when you watch his highlights from his draft year he regularly misses the target by foot. In a super draft i just expected a bit better but time will tell and jones has plenty of time.

When i was at the under 18s championships earlier in the year i heard hamish say its a shame devon robertson is such an average kick otherwise he would be a super star and yet last year he takes jones.

Last year's draft with Hamish putting a bid in for Thomas and then taking Chayce the next pick makes it look like he has blinkers on for anything Tasmanian at the cost of others.
Gallucci over Hayward, Berry, SPP, Marshall.

I follow the drafts really close every year and the one area jones really concerned me was his foot skills. Even when you watch his highlights from his draft year he regularly misses the target by foot. In a super draft i just expected a bit better but time will tell and jones has plenty of time.

When i was at the under 18s championships earlier in the year i heard hamish say its a shame devon robertson is such an average kick otherwise he would be a super star and yet last year he takes jones.
We took jones and mchenry..hindsight being a wonderful thing, maybe we erred not taking butters and duursma and maybe mchenry might have still been there at pick 19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We took jones and mchenry..hindsight being a wonderful thing, maybe we erred not taking butters and duursma and maybe mchenry might have still been there at pick 19

Is Butters any better than Jones though? He's had a handful of good games but has been quiet most weeks (as you'd expect from a first year player).

Duursma is ridiculous though. Would easily be a top five pick most years. Port got a bargain, as did Geelong with Clark.

Is Butters any better than Jones though? He's had a handful of good games but has been quiet most weeks (as you'd expect from a first year player).

Duursma is ridiculous though. Would easily be a top five pick most years. Port got a bargain, as did Geelong with Clark.

I think as with all drafted kids we have to give it a few years. Port are obviously playing their kids but they might plateau, of course they might take off and be best in the comp.

Powell-Peper and even Wines were considered to be future super stars after their first year but both now barely make their best 22.

Running defender is an easier position to star in year one.

Butters as an attacking mid, Jones as a pure mid, takes longer to get going.

Rozee has been outstanding. On par or ahead of Heeney?

Last year's draft with Hamish putting a bid in for Thomas and then taking Chayce the next pick makes it look like he has blinkers on for anything Tasmanian at the cost of others.
Gallucci over Hayward, Berry, SPP, Marshall.
Yeah, well I hope he's seriously into Mitch O'Neill in this year's draft too because he is just the kind of player we need, outside midfielder with speed, agility and exceptional skills.

As the Crows are now likley to finish 12th....after we lose to Dogs by a good margin and Port and North beat Freo and Melb respectively.
That trade with Carlton we were all excited about now means we get a pick 4 places ahead of the Blues.
So we give up a top 20 pick in a super draft and a year of development....to rise 4 places.....pick 3 instead of 7....big deal. Arrogant fools.
There is always a huge difference in quality with pick 3 instead of 7 in every year's draft, especially in this year. Last years super draft's the top 4 were all consider pick 1 potential, pick 5-10 and then 11-15 were better than other years and then the quality ran deep from pick 16-30.

So in other words we gave up pick20 and pick 7 for pick3. The way people were talking on here last year most would have done that deal. I know I know that last years draft was strong but is pick20 + pick 7 for pick 3 all that bad. What the real problem is the boys that we picked have over the last 3 years.

Jones: hasnt given us much and is still a long way off making a presence
McHenry: Has been injured and whilst he has show something in the SANFL he hasn't given the club anything.
Fogarty: Is still developing and is possibly the one who has shown some real upside but again due to a lack of exposure is possible a year behind where he should be
Andrew McPherson: hasnt been seen
Jordan Gallucci: Cant cement a place in the best 22. So after 3 years we cant say that he has given us anything.
Myles Poholke: Nothing.
Matthew Signorello: Nothing
Ben Davis: Not giving us any lift at all.

So far none of the players that we selected in the draft for the past three years has developed and given us any fresh exciting players. The last time we did any good was in 2015 when we got Milera and Doedee.

Getting Gibbs is only a part of the problem.

We actually had people on here saying how great a pick up he was. Couldn't believe Norf delisted him.
SMFH
He was a player famous for never missing a game.
Moves to Adelaide and gets named round 1, but gets a "minor" injury late and misses the game... and the next seven thanks to Adelaide fitness staff.
Finally gets 5 games in a row, all respectable to good performances.
Before finally being forced into retirement thanks to injury.

I can understand him being seen as a poor recruit. But as far as actual performance goes, he was perfectly reasonable for a backup midfielder. Most of the downsides of his recruitment were the result of AFC itself.

Id question how much influence Pyke and co have in choosing our recruits the last few years. Gallucci over English is one that's came out already (cant remember where from?) were Jones and McHenry the recruiting staffs preference?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back